Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-07, 12:15 PM   #1
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

unicycling makes you smarter

Hi, I found this link to a scientific study on Lutz Eichholz Instagram post:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-40533-6

It says:
"Learning to ride a unicycle results in reorganization of different types of brain tissue facilitating more automated postural control,
clearly demonstrating that learning a complex balance task modulates brain structure in manifold and highly dynamic ways."
Old 2019-04-07, 06:55 PM   #2
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Huh. Didn't work for me.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 07:33 PM   #3
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Quote:
(...) one constantly needs to adjust the balance both forth-back and left-right. At the same time, one needs to pay attention to the muscle force in the feet, to the right speed and pedal rotation frequency. Finally and equally important, one must be aware of the own spatial movements while sitting on a unicycle, requiring sophisticated and skillful feedback from the senses to the whole body motion to adequately operate a unicycle.

Arg..ghh...

Last edited by Garp; 2019-04-07 at 07:34 PM.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 08:54 PM   #4
mrfixit
Unicyclist

I read that it changes your brain. Or maybe it made me dumber?
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 12:22 AM   #5
Quax1974
Wobbly

Isn’t this true for all New skills learned?
Quax1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 03:05 AM   #6
slamdance
Unicyclist

Smart? How about Insane?

I think they define insanity as "doing something over/over and expecting a different outcome".

That about describes the desire to learn how to unicycle. No analytical or theoretical derivation pointed the path to learn how to uni.

Pure energy and defiance of nature and the way of the world. There are so many reasons to "not" try it, that I had to try it..over/over/over.

I don't think this came from the smart side of my brain.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 06:56 AM   #7
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
one constantly needs to adjust the balance both forth-back and left-right.
Those who believe this is the central skill of riding only learn once they forget it.
Old 2019-04-08, 07:01 AM   #8
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
No analytical or theoretical derivation pointed the path to learn how to uni.
Such was the case when I learnt so it took me a long time.

However, subsequent theoretical analysis and observation undertaken after learning to ride myself has pointed to paths that have helped me teach others to learn very quickly.
Old 2019-04-08, 07:35 AM   #9
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Unicycling likely isn't anything special, but the result that physical activity, and learning movements helps our brain is important. Whether thats gymnastics or unicycling probably doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Quote:
one constantly needs to adjust the balance both forth-back and left-right.
Those who believe this is the central skill of riding only learn once they forget it.
I know what you are getting at, but adjusting balance can be getting your contact patch under your center of gravity by "riding where you are falling", or getting your center of gravity over your contact patch (or opposite to where you are falling). It's an article about your brain activity when unicycling, not a physics article anyway..

Also, most people who unicycle have no clue which of the two they are doing, they just do it. Conciously analizing is not always necessary for learning a skill. If you tell a kid to try standing on one foot, you don't tell them "You need to use your calves to push more with the front of the foot when you fall over." You say: "try again" after they fall, and they figure out how not to fall without knowing what they did differently.
Old 2019-04-09, 03:16 AM   #10
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Conciously analizing is not always necessary for learning a skill.
Absolutely. However it can help to analyse but only if the analysis is correct.

The big problem with so much analysis about unicycling is that it is plain wrong and it works against learning. A lot of "saddle physicists" fail to actually validate their presumptions through observation.

Among the most common are those who advise that the unicycle should be ridden perfectly upright. They usually argue, citing how many riders they have taught, until I ask them to post a photograph showing someone riding this way.

Their usual justification involves an analogy with "balancing a stick on your finger". They come to the wrong conclusion because the analogy is inappropriate.
Old 2019-04-09, 04:08 AM   #11
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I assume the thickening of the cortex of the subjects, reported in the study, happened regardless of whether or not the subjects consciously analyzed what they were doing. It was the physical act of unicycling, not consciously thinking about it, that caused the change in the brain.

And, by the way, what I'm saying is extremely enlightened, because I took a long ride this afternoon!

The article reminds me of the importance of learning new unicycling skills. I spent a lot of time recently struggling to learn the wheel walk. I wonder if that helped my brain. To an onlooker, I must have looked like an idiot! Struggling to ride my guni in high gear throws a monkey wrench into basic riding. I wonder if that strengthens my brain.

The most demonstrable form of intelligence demonstrated by unicyclists is a kind of emotional intelligence that allows them to persevere with little or no gratification during the difficult learning stage.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 03:19 AM   #12
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I think they define insanity as "doing something over/over and expecting a different outcome".

That about describes the desire to learn how to unicycle.
Yup. It reminds me that one of the important things that kept me going, back when I was trying to learn to ride on one of the world's worst unicycles (Troxel). It was the simple fact that other mere mortals from my own local neighborhood could do it. If they could, why couldn't I?

And like people do when they try to apply "simple" physics to unicycling, I left out crucial details. They were on Schwinns, with ball bearings, real pedals and air tires. I was not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Among the most common are those who advise that the unicycle should be ridden perfectly upright.
I'm probably in there somewhere. I would counter that with the advice being what the rider should strive for, but doesn't have to be perfect. However if you're not there to offer feedback as the person is learning, you won't be able to tell them they don't have to sit up that bold upright.

Having said that, you won't be surprised to know I can provide plenty of examples of pictures of people riding perfectly upright. While this is the exception rather than the rule, it's not impossible.

Enjoy the pix; mostly posted just for fun.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-04-10 at 03:20 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 05:43 AM   #13
Setonix
Unicyclist

With freestyle, sitting upright is more required, as I think you can make those fine turns best that way, only slightly hanging the way you want to go, but with municycling or with a strong wind like I had yesterday, ur more bound to ride bent over bit. I suppose riding uphill while sitting as much upright as you can, requires a lot of leg muscle.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 12:32 PM   #14
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
With freestyle, sitting upright is more required, as I think you can make those fine turns best that way, only slightly hanging the way you want to go, but with municycling or with a strong wind like I had yesterday, ur more bound to ride bent over bit. I suppose riding uphill while sitting as much upright as you can, requires a lot of leg muscle.
Exactly. As in any steering system, one trades stability off against responsiveness by shifting the geometry to more or less rake on the forks.

One of the interesting things about a unicycle is that it is the only wheeled vehicle with completely free suspension and steering geometry. Add in the forces coming in via offset cranks and you have a seriously complex matrix.

One night I discussed the subject with a family friend who has a lifetime of racing motorcycles and knows everything there is to know about bike geometry. He told me the next day that he lay in bed after our discussion trying to comprehend what goes on in a unicycle and it "blew his mind".

It is remarkable that unicyclists' brains are able to build a mental model that really works. I have only been riding for five years and I am amazed at the reflexes I have developed that allow me to stay upright under duress.
Old 2019-04-10, 12:51 PM   #15
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I'm probably in there somewhere. I would counter that with the advice being what the rider should strive for, but doesn't have to be perfect. However if you're not there to offer feedback as the person is learning, you won't be able to tell them they don't have to sit up that bold upright.
Better that the learner understands it only takes a tiny body lean (not hunch over) forward to cause the unicycle frame to lean back a little and that this geometry is what one must strive for while trying to gain control of a unicycle.

Too upright and the the unicycle becomes very unforgiving of imprecise operation. Sure advanced riders on flat surfaces can get close to upright but just check out what you instinctively do next time you ride over the rough.

Quote:
Having said that, you won't be surprised to know I can provide plenty of examples of pictures of people riding perfectly upright.
The first two photos are in circumstances where it is very hard to judge the riders orientation.

The muni photos clearly show the frame leaning back. In order to maintain that lean, the body must lean slightly forward to put the centre of mass above the contact point of the tyre on the road, which is the fundamental requirement of a unicycle and rider in a steady state.

There are notable exceptions while accelerating or retarding where the body must be in a position to use gravity counter overturning forces. Similarly with a geared uni where there is a reaction torque applied to the frame.

The freestyle shots don't count. They are clearly pirouetting anyway so leaning in the direction of movement is impossible. Besides, freestyle riders have sold their souls to buy the rights to ignore the laws of physics.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2019-04-10 at 12:54 PM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
makes, smarter, unicycling