Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-27, 09:51 AM   #46
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Wish I had studied to be an engineer, than I would have known how to use CAD instead of having to pay other people to do it.

Instead I am just a dumb technician (sarcasm)...most of the technicians I work with know there stuff

Please bouin-bouin make your ideal, i mean i'm not going to really be able to invest all of my paycheck into this until I pay off some of my bills. I used a ruler this time in My recent drawings lol, but they still aren't the best.....

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 10:00 AM.
UnimakerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 10:07 AM   #47
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin View Post
Thank you for your very clear comment, I share totaly your opinion

When I started my 3 gears hub project in mid 2009 after Induni unitour, I wanted 3 gears and that's all. I took me 6 months to find the technical solution, then I shared it with Kris Holm, Roger Davies, Nathan Hoover and other guys to get their opinon. Then 2 years later after improving my design I met and discussed a lot with Florian Schlumpf, he analysed my concept and agreed it should work but he refused to collaborate and adviced me to build a prototype and develop it, as he did 10 years earlier ...
Everything takes a lot of time, may be one day I will build a prototype; I'm working in an automotive company, I'm ingeneer, close to my desk are gearboxes experts, CAD data started 1 year ago with the support of the best muni and road unirider; I am in contact with a company you agreed to build my parts .... Everything seems feasible, just I need to do it

What will you call your company?...And by the way this fellow made this comment in response to someone elses comment....

Look if my crappy ideal works maybe we can collaborate...if not that's fine I get it...I haven't earned the respect.

Someday though I hope to see 4 or 5 unicyclist in the world riding on 5 speeds.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 10:08 AM.
Old 2017-01-27, 10:12 AM   #48
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
The funny thing is At least someone on this forum doesn't even think I know how to ride a unicycle...
Who did say that?

Edit: I share your need of being able to ride at about the same speed on a unicycle as the speed I ride on a bike.
In my case it is what happens, I can ride my G29 up to about 30km/h (29.4km/h max so far, but I still feel I'm in the start of the learning curve with only 400km on this G29, + about 700-1000km on a G26, I'll go faster when I will be more confident on it).
I have rode the same place I used to ride on my 20" folding bike and I don't think I go faster on this bike than I do with the G29, but I'm still slower than most of real size bikes.
I'd like to go a bit faster, but like you pointed out, Schlumpf hubs are expensive, even second hand one, so the only other solution I'd have so far to go faster would be to use a G36, but it's heavier and more complicated to ride in urban conditions.
That's where I'd like to have a 3rd speed, close to 2:1
So what you project to do, I think many unicyclists would like to have : a 3 or more speeds cheap unicycle : yes I'd like to see it becoming a reality.
Keep us updated.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2017-01-27 at 10:28 AM.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 10:15 AM   #49
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam View Post
You should contact Dakoroman here on the forums. From what I've read you two would make the perfect collaboration. Together you could make these hubs a reality.

Unfortunately, I don't have any direct contact details for Dakoroman but just send him a PM.

Good luck in your endeavors and I look forward to reading more about your project in the future.

Thanks man, I missed your post somehow, I am relieved the whole world isn't against me now..laughs.

I think this Mr bouin-bouin can chill in Europe maybe while I will see what I can do for the USA and/or other countries that speak English, I do have interest in expanding to Asia but that is a big if......

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2017-01-27, 10:42 AM   #50
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnimakerX View Post
Thanks man, I missed your post somehow, I am relieved the whole world isn't against me now..laughs.

I think this Mr bouin-bouin can chill in Europe maybe while I will see what I can do for the USA and/or other countries that speak English, I do have interest in expanding to Asia but that is a big if......
The name of a company in a niche market is not important at all, what is important is the product itself, even if not perfect as the Schlumpf which is still suffering from durability issues after 10 years of continuous improvments

I think you should first look at all subjects related to geared hubs here in this forum, including mine I already shared with real data.

Do you know Greg Harper ? Christoph Hartmann ? Huni Rex ? Justin ? DangerDog ? Jogi Pfender ? Frank Bonsch ? Unisk8r ?

Don't forget most of the uni's companies are in Europe (Nimbus, QU-AX, QX, Impact, Schlumpf, Triton), except Kris Holm who is a friend and knows perfectly my 3 gears hub project since the beginning (even if he doesn't share the interest of under gear)
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2017-01-27 at 10:42 AM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 11:04 AM   #51
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin View Post
The name of a company in a niche market is not important at all, what is important is the product itself, even if not perfect as the Schlumpf which is still suffering from durability issues after 10 years of continuous improvments

I think you should first look at all subjects related to geared hubs here in this forum, including mine I already shared with real data.

Do you know Greg Harper ? Christoph Hartmann ? Huni Rex ? Justin ? DangerDog ? Jogi Pfender ? Frank Bonsch ? Unisk8r ?

Don't forget most of the uni's companies are in Europe (Nimbus, QU-AX, QX, Impact, Schlumpf, Triton), except Kris Holm who is a friend and knows perfectly my 3 gears hub project since the beginning (even if he doesn't share the interest of under gear)
Relax man, I get your point. I hate to play the race card, but I don't think African American based products would do well in some areas of that country that's all, 2nd of all I don't want to sound like i'm trying to steal your "Thunder", just trying to share the the earth market by letting you "takeover" your country. I have really had some uni ideals since 2010, 1 year after yours, but I never knew who to collaborate with. BY THE WAY I HATE PLAYING THE POOR ME RACE CARD, because I love being a fan of Metal (music) and I know people are probably sick of us whining about that lol...anyways change of subject the unicycles, how the "hay" would I market to a country in a language I can't even speak, you know people in Europe I do not. That is simply one of the reasons as well.

Plus sometimes the more companies there are the more they are likely to try to compete with you, less companies less people, usually less ego...I explained that this is why I am gravitating toward this niche...oh and I just happen to like unicycles as well.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2017-01-27, 11:23 AM   #52
Cousin Itt
Unicyclist

Quote:
Relax man, I get your point. I hate to play the race card, but I don't think African American based products would do well in some areas of that country that's all, 2nd of all I don't want to sound like i'm trying to steal your "Thunder", just trying to share the the earth market by letting you "takeover" your country. I have really had some uni ideals since 2010, 1 year after yours, but I never knew who to collaborate with. BY THE WAY I HATE PLAYING THE POOR ME RACE CARD, because I love being a fan of Metal (music) and I know people are probably sick of us whining about that lol...anyways change of subject the unicycles, how the "hay" would I market to a country in a language I can't even speak, you know people in Europe I do not. That is simply one of the reasons as well.

Plus sometimes the more companies there are the more they are likely to try to compete with you, less companies less people, usually less ego...I explained that this is why I am gravitating toward this niche...oh and I just happen to like unicycles as well.
Wow.
Old 2017-01-27, 12:00 PM   #53
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Before this gets blown out of proportion let's all check out bouin bouins ideal please, i'm sure his is will be a tad bit lighter than mine when and if it comes out...both our ideals share an underdrive, i'd like to think his will be under the $2000 Mark. Now i'ver created a PERFECT niche for you guy, take it or leave it...we could be friends instead of sounding like rivals.

I am strictly thinking of aiming for heavy duty downhill and freeride esque operation. Typically road cyclist may not need a lot of gears when there only close ratio gears, kind of like road bicyclist do not need 28 speeds. Just 10 speeds for your typical road bike. I don't think a heavy hub will cater well to XC either...so that leaves just 2 people on the planet earth that want one, oh well.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2017-01-27, 12:15 PM   #54
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:

Ummmm .... OK I think you just jumped some fairly important sharks there without even noticing, which is worrying. I have no idea what you are talking about with this race thing, and I certainly can't see the relevance. And as boudin boudin has an actual product and all you have is the idea it would be nice to have one, i don't think it is really up to you to be de using what section of the world market he might be entitled to?
Old 2017-01-27, 01:21 PM   #55
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
anyways change of subject the unicycles, how the "hay" would I market to a country in a language I can't even speak, you know people in Europe I do not.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasnt the whole idea of this thread to hire a Unicyclist to advertise your [non existent] hub. I'm sure if you can hire a Unicyclist you can hire someone who speaks a different language to write your marketing...
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 01:45 PM   #56
Spinningwoman

Apologies - I just spotted that my autocarrot has turned Bouin-bouin into something more like a double-barrelled pudding! Unfortunately I missed the 'edit' window.
Old 2017-01-27, 01:54 PM   #57
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

This reads like the reincarnation of dakoroman with some slight improvement in language skills. I don't think the OP has any grasp of the engineering requirements or materials limitations for a project like this. Regardless of any claims that this is not somehow personal, the OP responds with accusations of personal attacks rather than with any discussion about technical details of the project.

We have all seen this before.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 02:16 PM   #58
Spinningwoman

The list of possibilities seems to be narrowing from the original four.

a) Enthusiastic inventor of an amazing new unicycle product who needs some help with marketing to get it off the ground.

b) Slightly over-enthusiastic but genuine person who has a great idea but maybe doesn't realise how big the gap is between idea and working prototype.

c) Delusional person who thinks the idea is the product and thinks he has already done all the important stuff and hasn't bothered to read up on anyone else's work.

d) seriously delusional person with a chip on his shoulder who is now convinced that everybody is against him and will claim that anyone who actually produces a geared hub during his lifetime has 'stolen' his idea.
Old 2017-01-27, 02:40 PM   #59
Cousin Itt
Unicyclist

Ooooo! Ooooo!
I know this one!
Old 2017-01-27, 05:10 PM   #60
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Talking

Yeah, yeah, yeah guys hardy, hardy Har Har.

It's about time someone put more than 2 speeds on a unicycle, I don't care who it is. I come have an understanding of sequential transmissions, but that's not exactly how this ideal works.

Someone questioned my intentions earlier and my personal life, experience, and popularity in the unicycling industry that's why I went there. I never said anyone is trying to steal my ideals here either, neither did I say I the bouin bouin was attacking me personally. Good greif

I know i don't have the experience, been at this for 6 years, Schlumpf has been at it for 10 before he did something I get the point. It would be nice to think that 6 years of planning demonstrates the dedication to the cause.

Bouin-bouin I got lost on your page, I didn't see any plans or sketches or drawings, i'm sure you have them. Perhaps you would like to share them? If not that's fine.

Wor king with cars means stuff obviously takes years to get out as well. We and bouin-bouin share industries although different car brands and in different stages of development work.

Bicycle hubs have hit 14 speeds, so yeah I totally believe 3 or 5 speeds is definately possible.

I feel like it would help to work with someone else's work but then i'd be the one who would be accused of stealing, or if someone thought and designed it long before I came up with a process of my own certainly no one would appreciate that.....so I had to start completely from "scratch"...(note the quotation marks, scratch..somebody already invented planetary gears and engaging dog teeth)

Engaging dog gears work just fine in car/motorcycle transmissions

Not once have I made an attack on anyone, questioned intentions, or told people stuff like you think that is a good ideal? Or constantly reminded people about the money issue. I thought I have been quite positive, I hope that bouin bouin can successfully build his concept.

Yes production isn't easy i'm currently working/collaborating with an engineering firm, Tommy from the unicycle factory, A bicycle/unicycle frame builder, and 1 very interesting unicyclist

I don't know about big promises, but it is about time someone came out with gearing solutions for unicyclist Hopefully we will see bouin-bouins finished prototype soon. Because I would like no competition
And I meant no harm in that comment above just stating my reasons and 1 of those reasons was

I was trying to share

Also Part of were I come from means I don't have access to communicate with Dorian Schlumpf..internal geared hubs are not as popular on bicycles in the USA, and it's not like I can go to internal geared hub college so I know the odds,are stacked against me. Now I have 2 people who want 1 so far, if 3 people including me in the world wind up having 1 I won't care at all because I owe those people a prototype and I would like to have 1 for myself as well.

I also just stated all the reasons why I do what I do. And yes this is personal. Unicycling is a very personal choice, it's not just about money, who would actually just jump into a niche like this and do it for the money, obviously almost no one.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 05:12 PM.

Tags
company, geared, geared unicycles, guni, mountain unicycles, professional unicycling, prototype, seeking, startup, unicycle, unicycles