Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-03-05, 11:39 PM   #46
newob
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
women tend to be almost always positive or neutral, and men in a little less of half the occasions.
Yes, my experience has been much the same as yours (since women are in general a superior gender) but I was thinking that the ad is aimed at men, since the protagonists are male.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-06, 12:29 AM   #47
Mononovize
Unicyclist

The Urban Dictionary describes a fedora as
- "A hat that went from the sure sign of an early 1900's tough guy, to the sure sign of a 1980's and onward loser who is desperately seeking for a style to call their own (and ruining everything they touch in the process)." (Donottouchthis)

- "(...) In present times, the fedora is a trademark of the socially inept beta male. He is attempting to distance himself from pop culture with the distinct style of past fashion. But he captures none of the suave, and only comes off looking like an oblivious, pompous fool." (Xcalibur201)

Similarly, a webpage dissing neckbeards claims that "Neckbeards are commonly associated with men who wear the fedora felt hat as a fashion accessory, which is often mocked online for being worn by men without poor sense of style."

... and FemInspire tells us that "The Fedora Isn’t the Problem – The Men Wearing Them Are" (namely self-described "nice guys", who're really just after sex... or something along those lines)

Soo... then this home-improver did a wonderful paint-job thanks to Lowe's and impresses The Woman and then goes on with his new-found confidence without further consultation to try himself in fashion... and wrecks it... which only dawns on him when he sees this geeky, over-the-top unicyclist--oh no, that's the type of men who wear fedoras?! - Take-home message: Don't move without asking Lowe's first!

[And yet, Terry gets the same role as the boss (!) in the other commercial--they're the guys who confront the home-improvers with reality! Take-home message for unicyclists: Unicyclists rule! esp. UniGeezer...]

Last edited by Mononovize; 2015-03-06 at 12:36 AM.
Mononovize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-06, 12:06 PM   #48
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononovize View Post
The Urban Dictionary describes a fedora as ....
The urban dictionary reflects the perceptions of its contributors. Most bothering to post there are pushing barrows.

What is actually reflected is a deeply reactionary attitude, particularly this version:
Quote:
He is attempting to distance himself from pop culture with the distinct style of past fashion.
They would probably say the same thing about unicyclists.

The fedora was pop in Michael Jackson's heyday. Those who sought to portray themselves as above pop subsequently rejected it. However, despite their protestations and pretense of individuality they betrayed their need to fit in and emulated some other meme instead.

In time, the notion of rejecting pop became the new pop.

The urbandictionary contribution criticises fedora wearers for trying to emulate genuine pop rejection. It comes full circle when someone wears a fedora to reject the notion pop rejection.

Fashions are cyclic, always has been and always will be. They are characterised by being easy to follow, otherwise they would be too uncommon to become pop.

Pop culture admires dancers, musicians and athletes. Most people can do a basic rendition of those skills so they can relate to it.

Unicycling will never be fashionable because it can only be accessed through commitment and, importantly, there is no half being able to ride so that the ordinary person can build some sense of connection with the admired performer.

Unigeezer is playing the part of what we would call a dag in Australia. The producers could count on a unicyclist projecting that image to the vast majority of viewers.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2015-03-06 at 12:07 PM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-08, 09:42 PM   #49
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Just saw this on national TV; Terry, you're a star!

I think it's a great commercial. I thought it was funny. As a guy who hates the clown persona and the stigma associated with unicycling, this commercial doesn't bother me.

My take is that Terry has the confidence to wear a fedora AND ride a unicycle, while the other guy doesn't. It would have been totally different if Terry had been in clown gear with a fedora on a unicycle. But he wasn't, and I don't see a problem.

Congrats Terry! I think it's great and hope it leads to more opportunities for you.
Old 2015-03-08, 11:42 PM   #50
Chrashing
O>OO

Finally saw the commercial on local TV. Now I can tell folks I know that rider. Thanks Terry, will tell em what a great and famous unicyclist you are (if they don't know already).

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 05:15 PM   #51
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Thanks guys! The more I think about it, I would bet the man's reaction would've been the same whether the other rode by on a bike, skateboard, or just walked by. It was his exuberance and over-the-top and LOUD declaration: "FEDORA TWINNNNNNS!" that ruined the man's confidence.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 05:47 PM   #52
leo
Vandewoestijne

Or translated to women among eachother; how would it look if Lindsey L. would meet Paris H. on a red carpet in exact the same dress...?
+1 866 UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 06:40 PM   #53
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Thanks guys! The more I think about it, I would bet the man's reaction would've been the same whether the other rode by on a bike, skateboard, or just walked by. It was his exuberance and over-the-top and LOUD declaration: "FEDORA TWINNNNNNS!" that ruined the man's confidence.
Exactly! I agree 100 percent.
Old 2015-03-09, 08:26 PM   #54
janvanhulzen
Unicyclist

I think the ending could be improved by a shot of the paint guy coming home and the woman (not noticing the missing fedora) states thoughtfully. "I think we should have gone with the yellow". That would drive he point home
janvanhulzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 09:12 PM   #55
MuniAddict

Btw, the actress at the beginning was cast as the man's daughter. She's only 15.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-03-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2015-03-10, 02:03 AM   #56
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

We unicyclists sure are good at over-analyzing, aren't we?

Quote:
The tagline says: "Build your [home improvement] Confidence." Guy sees another guy with same hat who is VERY confident, and showing UNIque skill. Guy takes off hat because his own new-found "confidence" is shattered!
I think you nailed it there. The rest of us are just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
But coherence isn't the goal here; in my view, the ad attempts to create a visual/psychological image -- think Flo or the talking gecko -- so striking that "Lowes" will lodge in your brain like a parasite, forever.
I think you are also right. This is one of the "Holy Grails" of mass advertising; to have people remember your brand without even being aware of it.

Speaking of Flo (Progressive Insurance), I will point out that in the last commercial I saw her, she was burned at the stake at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
"uncool, weird and nerdy" is the new "cool, weird and nerdy" among the people I generally meet, who are generally no unicyclist (yet).
I think this is true here as well. But Terry is so far around the "cool, weird and nerdy" curve, people just aren't ready for it. The fedora is off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
My take is that Terry has the confidence to wear a fedora AND ride a unicycle, while the other guy doesn't.
Terry has the confidence to do that while holding a ventriloquist dummy, also wearing a matching fedora, and have IT do the talking!

Quote:
Btw, the actress at the beginning was cast as the man's daughter. She's only 15.
That was how I saw it also, though he age was a little indeterminate so I can see people thinking she was a young-ish girlfriend or spouse. But if you think about it, who's disapproval can be more devastating? A wife, or a 15-year old daughter? Hmmm.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 02:51 AM   #57
UPD
fail better.

Yeah.That's exactly what was missing...a ventriloquist dummy.hahaha!!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 02:59 AM   #58
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Yeah.That's exactly what was missing...a ventriloquist dummy.hahaha!!
Omg, haha! Should've ridden by with "Jack Squat" with both of us wearing fedoras, with jack shouting, "Fedora triplets!"

Yes, there has been a fedora wearing dummy:

Name:  ceaser.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  63.3 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2015-03-10, 05:15 AM   #59
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Ha. Is that Eddie Albert? With a dummy version of Edward G. Robinson? I guess it wasn't Green Acres...

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 02:24 PM   #60
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Ha. Is that Eddie Albert? With a dummy version of Edward G. Robinson? I guess it wasn't Green Acres...
It's from a Twilight Zone episode called "Ceaser & me". The actor was Jackie Cooper. The same dummy was used in another, better known TZ episode called, "The Dummy" , starring Cliff Roberston.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-03-10 at 02:25 PM.

Tags
commercial, lowe, unigeezer