Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-03-04, 12:37 AM   #31
UPD
fail better.

I love it too. Watched it at least a dozen and a half times, funnier and funnnier each time.

So I called to my 8yr old boy. I say," Remember Unigeezer? Well, he's on a commercial. Wanna watch?"
"Yeah" Showed him the video.
We both cracked up.
"Again!" He says
We were cracking up even harder
"Again!!"
We nearly rolled on the floor laughing..

7 times, hilarious!
NOW we can't get it out of our heads...
"Fedora Twins!"
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 01:41 AM   #32
MuniCO
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
I love it too. Watched it at least a dozen and a half times, funnier and funnnier each time.

So I called to my 8yr old boy. I say," Remember Unigeezer? Well, he's on a commercial. Wanna watch?"
"Yeah" Showed him the video.
We both cracked up.
"Again!" He says
We were cracking up even harder
"Again!!"
We nearly rolled on the floor laughing..

7 times, hilarious!
NOW we can't get it out of our heads...
"Fedora Twins!"
My 8 yr old boy loved it too! We watched it a half a dozen times together. Randomly throughout the day today he'd look at me, grin, and say "fedora twins!" with this totally goofball look on his face.
MuniCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 02:32 AM   #33
Mononovize
Unicyclist

Okay, if anyone should still struggle, I think this Lowe's commercial tells basically the same story: A guy improves his home (thanks to Lowe's), a woman admires his work & further boosts his confidence, so he finally dares something silly he wanted to do for a long time... and immediately gets the wind taken out of him again.

I'm still not sure why a wearing a fedora is considered silly / geeky / etc. (what's the common association with fedoras??)...

... but having watched that other commercial, one thing's for sure: UniGeezer is the boss! :o)
Mononovize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 03:59 AM   #34
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanhulzen
The way i get it is that the paint-guy is afraid to be ridiculed because he is associated with a unicyclist. Its the way Terry says it and the Obvious joy that make it an inside joke for unicyclist. The hat turns into a clowns nose.

i wonder if this was intentinional.
I'm sure it was intentional. The guy is feeling all good about himself and cool, and then a geeky guy on a unicycle instantly associates himself to our painter-man, freaking him out. He decides the fedora is not worth being associated with Terry Fedora Peterson.

Like others have already posted, any uni publicity is generally good publicity. Yes, we have a tendency to be perceived as geeks, or nerds, or dorks. BTW, do you know what "dork" means? It's what you call a whale penis. For what it's worth, those things have to be pretty big!

Anyway, the commercial isn't about the unicycle. The people who should be offended are the much larger fedora-wearing community. They all just got dissed. I expect Lowes to get complaints from them.

"Fedora twins!" -- it's the way Terry delivers the line that makes it funny. If the same guy rode by and just said "Nice hat!" it wouldn't work. Wouldn't be funny.

Congratulations Terry on getting another mainstream TV commercial gig! I'd love to hear more about the other variations they did on your part in the ad. Like having you both wear the exact same outfits? That would be freaky, but probably confusing. The end product works.

How cool would it be if you could turn into a "Flo" character! It would have to be a different encounter with a different line every time. I'd like to see this one: "Helmet with rag hanging off the back twins! Peace sign!"

In the photo below, one can argue the dorkiness. This was waiting for the train from Rome to Venice on our way to Unicon in 2012. My unicycles are inside the luggage.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-03-04 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Added photo
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 04:03 AM   #35
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononovize View Post
Okay, if anyone should still struggle, I think this Lowe's commercial tells basically the same story: A guy improves his home (thanks to Lowe's), a woman admires his work & further boosts his confidence, so he finally dares something silly he wanted to do for a long time... and immediately gets the wind taken out of him again.
Thanks for posting. I see a common theme, involving hats...
Old 2015-03-04, 04:27 AM   #36
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
The people who should be offended are the much larger fedora-wearing community. They all just got dissed.
I did a quick web search on fedoras and found lots of comments about them and the men who wear them these days. Gives you another perspective on it if you're not familiar with that trend.

Congrats Terry for getting paid to follow your passion. I hope it leads to more TV or movie gigs for you and your unicycle.

Maybe some time Lowe's will do a version with a women taking on home repairs and the guy being impressed. After her success she could try unicycling and succeeds.

Last edited by Vertigo; 2015-03-04 at 04:39 AM.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 10:20 AM   #37
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Fedora's have been around for a very long time. The name comes from Princess Fedora as played by Sarah Bernhardt in 1889.

It was adopted as a symbol by the women's rights movement of the 19th and early 20th century. Quite appropriate really. We unicyclists are confronting society's stereotypes by treating unicycling seriously.

The wikipedia page is worth a quick read.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 10:56 AM   #38
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononovize View Post
I'm still not sure why a wearing a fedora is considered silly / geeky / etc. (what's the common association with fedoras??)...
Quite the opposite.

One is supposed to be way cool to have the kudos to wear a Fedora. Among others of status, Micheal Jackson wore a black fedora in the height of his career. He features it in some of his most famous clips. Further back it was a trade mark hat of many gangsters. I suspect Michael built on that connection to bring a badness factor into his videos.

The guy in the ad thought he had achieved something way cool when he impressed his lady with his decorating. Then he met Terry and was reminded he was really quite ordinary and the coolness was a facade sold to him by a salesperson at Lowes.

The immediate message is that you will feel good about yourself if you get your decorating stuff at Lowes because they will tell you how to do it without you needing to be a genius to get it right, like a unicyclist or a master decorator.

The guy takes his hat off because he remembers he isn't so cool after all when he comes across ultra-cool Terry.

The ultimate unstated punchline is that his lady was impressed that he undertook a decorating task without consulting her and got it right.

The unicyclist aspect is there for the plausibility while the real power of the message is in being able to please the woman when deciding without consultation, which of course we know cannot happen in the real world.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 11:51 AM   #39
Chrashing
O>OO

Great Commercial Terry!

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 04:25 PM   #40
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Unicycling: cool or uncool?

Cool: The main character realizes he's not that cool, so he takes off his hat.

Uncool: The main character doesn't want to be associated with something weird, so he takes off his hat.

Either way, unicycling is associated with nonconformity.

"Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated." --Borg
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 05:05 PM   #41
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

The tagline says: "Build your [home improvement] Confidence." Guy sees another guy with same hat who is VERY confident, and showing UNIque skill. Guy takes off hat because his own new-found "confidence" is shattered!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-03-04 at 05:07 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 10:46 AM   #42
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

So what about a fedora helmet?
http://www.yakkay.com/ that's a cool idea.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 08:12 PM   #43
leo
Vandewoestijne

So we see
- a man who's always been too shy to wear a fedora
- a man who's self-confident and expressive

nose-theme-substitute or not, it's clear who's the winner
But where is the shot with the curly girl giving compliments to the uni-geezer?
+1 866 UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 08:18 PM   #44
newob
Unicyclist

Congratulations, Unigeezer -- well done, well done!

Not to beat a dead horse too hard, but...

As unicyclists, it's all too easy to project our own perception of unicycling (cool) onto this ad, but the target audience is non-unicyclists, who generally regard unicycling as uncool, weird, and nerdy. The target audience, identifying with the painter, likes the ad because they are confirmed in their belief that unicyling is indeed uncool, weird, and nerdy.

In terms of a "message", the ad is incoherent: After shopping at Lowes, a man is empowered to do some decorating, and is praised by a female for his success in her domain. Newly confident, he steps further outside his comfort zone into the realm of fashion (her domain also) only to have his confidence crushed when his choice is revealed to be unoriginal, mortifyingly wrong, and publically humiliating. The identical hat is worn by a unicyclist -- uncool, weird, nerdy, AND socially inappropriate in a public setting. QED, shopping at Lowe's isn't such a great idea after all. (The ad also plays with perceptions of ethnic difference: if the painter were white, the effect would be quite different, depending on the ethnicity of the viewer. And Lowes isn't exactly an "urban" brand, but I'll stop there.)

But coherence isn't the goal here; in my view, the ad attempts to create a visual/psychological image -- think Flo or the talking gecko -- so striking that "Lowes" will lodge in your brain like a parasite, forever.

Last edited by newob; 2015-03-05 at 08:20 PM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 10:53 PM   #45
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
target audience is non-unicyclists, who generally regard unicycling as uncool, weird, and nerdy.
Quote:
The target audience, identifying with the painter, likes the ad because they are confirmed in their belief that unicyling is indeed uncool, weird, and nerdy.
"uncool, weird and nerdy" is the new "cool, weird and nerdy" among the people I generally meet, who are generally no unicyclist (yet).

On my commutes I'm counting responses, and make the conclusion women tend to be almost always positive or neutral, and men in a little less of half the occasions.
So my perception is in deed different, than what you present as fact without being backed up with factual statistics (which sounds paradoxal anyway).
+1 866 UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, lowe, unigeezer