Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-03-03, 03:17 PM   #16
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple more I found posted about the commercial:

<To the "offended": The commercial's tagline is "Build your home improvement confidence"; ipso facto, a fedora-wearing unicyclist is a heightened state of confidence that few have achieved. We are a community full of confident people.>

<The commercial also does a nice job of turning the tables. Too often, us unicyclists are on the receiving end of unsolicited comments ("Where's your other wheel?" and its tired ilk). This time, it's payback.>

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 04:49 PM   #17
UPD
fail better.

Hahaha so cool!! I hope they keep you as a regular as what Flo has done for Progressive!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 05:33 PM   #18
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

Hmm... I see a guy who gains the confidence to wear a fedora but then changes his mind because he doesn't want to be like the wacky guy on the unicycle.

I think Terry should have said nothing, the two should have high-fived, and then what Strokin99 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin99 View Post
But if the painter would have said “Well the hat is not enough, I'll need to learn to ride a unicycle as well” That would have been a better ending.
I feel bad saying it, because Terry's a unicycle rockstar, but from my point of view this commercial perpetuates the dorky view of unicycling. I hope I'm wrong and we won't all be hearing "FEDORA TWINS!" every time we ride down the street. lol
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 05:39 PM   #19
Mononovize
Unicyclist

Another foreigner in need of help: So why exactly does it take confidence to don a fedora? (And why does he take it off? Lack of confidence because... he realizes he'd be a poor rip-off of Terry's character? Or because he doesn't want to be associated with Terry's character, who's over the top?? ... ???) BTW, would you say "xy twins" whenever you meet someone who wears the same xy clothes as you, or is that some part of the joke/character?

Sorry, I know explaining kills all humor... I'd just like to understand the connotation...

And yes, it still made me chuckle, Terry's character's just too great! :) ...
Mononovize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 05:45 PM   #20
pierrox
Unicyclist

You don't get it guys, the dude gives up on the fedora because he realizes that he's nowhere as cool as Terry, no matter how much paint he's spreading on his walls!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 06:27 PM   #21
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
You don't get it guys, the dude gives up on the fedora because he realizes that he's nowhere as cool as Terry, no matter how much paint he's spreading on his walls!
I just thought it was funny and LMAO. I guess I don't take my self very seriously. On the rare occasion someone has a snotty comment, no matter what it is what I hear is " Damn that is cool! Wish I could do that!". Keep it up Terry!
DaUniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 06:30 PM   #22
unibokk
Unicyclist

He's just done a good paint job. He's feeling confident. So confident that he reckons he's man enough to sport a fedora hat. Then a geek on a unicycle wearing the same type of hat comes along and identifies with him, shattering his new image, bringing him back down to earth.

Is it bad for unicycling? No, I don't think so. Unicyclists, including Terry, generally don't dress like that while riding on a unicycle.

It is what it is. A bit of humor to warm the viewer to the product

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-03-03 at 06:58 PM.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 06:32 PM   #23
UPD
fail better.

We all know how awesome Unigeezer is, but does the world know? I think Lowe's owe at least a few more commercials, maybe it should of started off with a rail grind and with somebody in the background shouting "Hey, it's Unigeezer!"
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 08:53 PM   #24
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Had to smile. Yesterday I had work done on my car and rode my 20 inch to work from the mechanic's workshop....

.... wearing my fedora.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 09:21 PM   #25
wdmunicyclist
Unicyclist

ha! nice job
wdmunicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 10:05 PM   #26
zack28
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniOrBust View Post
Hmm... I see a guy who gains the confidence to wear a fedora but then changes his mind because he doesn't want to be like the wacky guy on the unicycle.
I had pretty much the same impression. It reminded me of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day running into his old classmate/ insurance salesman and how funny his reaction the third time or so was (guilty pleasure ).
Well at least it got people wondering and talking, as a good commercial should - propably much less about the unicycling image amongst non - unicyclists, though.

Maybe Terry can bring some clarity as to what the supposed message was?

Last edited by zack28; 2015-03-03 at 10:07 PM.
zack28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 10:27 PM   #27
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I'm happy that most people like it! On this page, for example, I think that post #16, #20 & #21 sum it up pretty well. It was all in good fun and many Lowe's commercials are humorous, which I appreciate.

I didn't know when filming began, how it would come out, or which version they would use; they had us do a few different versions, including one where I took off MY hat when I saw the guy, and those may also air at some point.

I thought it would also have been funny if, after I passed the guy, that he would stop in his tracks, say "hmm" and look up, as if an idea popped into his head, then it would cut to him ("later that day") coming out of a bike shop riding a uni!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 10:50 PM   #28
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

There is an old adage - "any publicity is good publicity". The ad raises the profile of unicycling and that is a good thing.

It is not going to make any difference to the cool/fool impressions some have of unicycling no matter how they portray it.

Some will see it and imagine they would like to give it a try.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 12:20 AM   #29
MuniCO
Unicyclist

I loved it! i don't think it makes unicycling look bad. It makes middle-aged men who can't figure out how to paint a room look bad. The guy obviously has confidence issues and was totally derailed by the fedora clad, totally fabulous, overly confident unicyclist.
MuniCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 12:22 AM   #30
mtnjeffe
Unicyclist

If we were concerned with our image or what people thought of us we wouldn't ride unicycles to begin with. The commercial obviously pokes fun at the geekyness of unicycling, but as was mentioned above no such thing as bad publicity.
mtnjeffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, lowe, unigeezer