Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-01-26, 01:26 AM   #16
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

If it only goes 10mph you're better off riding a real unicycle! Exercise, faster (36er or geared), insanely cheaper, portable, lightweight, low cost maintenance.

Last edited by Dane M; 2014-01-26 at 01:26 AM.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 07:22 AM   #17
Nate128
Unicyclist

There's a yahoo article on this thing now:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ryno-mot...202514361.html
Nate128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 02:04 AM   #18
Lloyd Braun
Aide to the Mayor

I wonder if people who already unicycle have an edge when learning to ride the Ryno, or if the gyros negate any advantage.
Lloyd Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 02:25 AM   #19
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
I wonder if people who already unicycle have an edge when learning to ride the Ryno, or if the gyros negate any advantage.
I think I would be at less of an advantage. Since I would be so uncomfortable not being in control at first.
Old 2014-01-30, 02:36 AM   #20
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
That's a question that I've pondered since I first saw electric uni's. I think that it probably helps at least some to have unicycle experience., as long as the rider realizes that they are not the same thing.

As unicycling in general probably improves your balance, it seems that you would be at least a little better learning any new balance related thing.
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 03:33 AM   #21
rtdeden2
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
That's a question that I've pondered since I first saw electric uni's. I think that it probably helps at least some to have unicycle experience., as long as the rider realizes that they are not the same thing.

As unicycling in general probably improves your balance, it seems that you would be at least a little better learning any new balance related thing.
This is very True! I picked up windsurfing in one day when it normally takes people months to reached what I've done.

I would think that if you rode a motorized uni for a while though it would mess with you actual unicycling ability. Like when a tennis player plays racquetball it messes with their swing. Like when I used to ride a B*ke and uni it would throw off my balance a lot.
rtdeden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 03:53 AM   #22
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdeden2 View Post
This is very True! I picked up windsurfing in one day when it normally takes people months to reached what I've done.
Well, as I've come to understand it, people learn at extremely different speeds. Also some people just naturally pick up certain sports better. Sometimes it's related to existing useful knowledge. For instance a sailor might learn to windsurf quicker than someone else, or an aeronautical engineer too.

But a persons thinking and understanding processes seems to be the overwhelming factor. Also people who pursue more learning ventures seem to pick things up quicker, because they are so familiar with the learning process. I think this a large factor in why young children and young adults learn to uni so quickly, because that's what they've been doing almost exclusively for their entire life so far. As people get older they settle in to their ways and stop or slow down their learning severely.

I doubt there is much to "learn" with these motorized unis. If you can ride a bike, you'll be familiar with side to side balance, and the gyros take care of the rest (if working the way they are supposed to) For all I know it might have some lateral gyro technology as well.
Old 2014-01-30, 07:50 AM   #23
jona
Registered Looser

Quote:
It might be knowledge could be a setback in this case. Fighting to correct/compensate.
The WORST motorcycle passengers are people who know how to ride. They automatically start setting up for the corners as if they were driving. It hard for them to sit and enjoy the ride.
jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 08:30 AM   #24
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
If it only goes 10mph you're better off riding a real unicycle!
True, that if you buy the Ryno, it's not to go fast. The sad thing about that is that the Ryno looks fast. By limiting the speed, I imagine they are greatly limiting their liability. Also they are probably keeping it well within the software's ability to keep up with changes.

Those who buy the Ryno will be people with disposable income enough to buy it as a really cool novelty, or a getting-around-downtown type of thing. Yes, a unicycle (or a bike, or walking) will remain the better fitness option.
Quote:
Based on my (brief) experience with Segways, and with two different electric, gyro-stabilized unicycles, being a unicyclist will both help and hinder you. It probably helps the most in the steering department, where we have the built-in programming to turn a vehicle of the same shape. Maybe also the riding-position department; we're used to sitting upright with our feet down below, and the movement of a single wheel below us.

The downside will be the need to unlearn some of our unicycling reflexes. Like putting our feet on pegs, trying to correct against the way the stabilization system works, etc. But mostly I would consider unicycling skills a plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdeden2 View Post
I would think that if you rode a motorized uni for a while though it would mess with you actual unicycling ability.
Definitely if you rode it a lot. It might take several minutes to re-acquaint your body and reflexes to the unicycle. I don't think it would be any worse than switching wheel sizes.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 04:05 AM   #25
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
By limiting the speed, I imagine they are greatly limiting their liability.

Should cars and motorcycles do this for the same reason?
Old 2014-01-31, 03:26 PM   #26
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain View Post

Cars which have no purpose other than to ride on public roads... yes. There's no reason you car should go over 100mph if you don't take it places where that's allowed. (talking about USA)

I think there should be some kind of special registration process that you must keep up with and pay for in order to own and use a fast car.

That's my opinion at least.
Old 2014-01-31, 04:07 PM   #27
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain View Post

Obviously not as slow as this thing must go...
Old 2014-01-31, 10:45 PM   #28
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
I think there should be some kind of special registration process that you must keep up with and pay for in order to own and use a fast car.
Pretty soon we'll have to register 36" unit and Geared Unis….
Old 2014-01-31, 11:35 PM   #29
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Actually, we already have a system like that, it just applies to normal cars too.

Tags
mororized, uni