Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-01-27, 03:13 PM   #61
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima View Post
I can't understand how you do a static mount in the first place. When I try it on my freewheel uni, rear pedal is rolling down to the dead point (I do static mount on a regular uni perfectly well). Also I tried a static mount stepping on a front pedal first (pedals wouldn't roll away) but jump mount is easier for me.
I linked to a video of the static mount in the previous post. I have my right foot down but I'm using it to pull the saddle against me then I hop up on the saddle and tap the brake. Do you have a normal seat height when you do a jump mount or is it lower than you'd normally ride. I've seen freewheel jump mounts but they were on unicycles with really low saddles (more for tricks than general riding).

I made a short Youtube video of the same footage I put in Instagram:

waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 11:38 AM   #62
dima
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
I linked to a video of the static mount in the previous post. I have my right foot down but I'm using it to pull the saddle against me then I hop up on the saddle and tap the brake. Do you have a normal seat height when you do a jump mount or is it lower than you'd normally ride. I've seen freewheel jump mounts but they were on unicycles with really low saddles (more for tricks than general riding).

I made a short Youtube video of the same footage I put in Instagram:

3.8x Geared Freewheel Unicycle 1-24-2015 - YouTube
Neither the video nor your explanation can help me understand it. Nevermind, I will do jump mount as always. Actually I can do it on a 5' giraffe (jump to the pedals with bended knees, then straighten them and sit to the saddle - like a side hop in trials), so 26" freewheel with a normal seat height is not a problem for me

Have you seen my freewheel video?
Nimbus Muni Oracle 26" + Freewheel ● Impact Gravity Trials 20" ● Custom Freestyle Red & Black 20" ● Torker Unistar TX Giraffe 5' ● Nimbus 3-Wheeler Giraffe ● Nimbus Ultimate Wheel 24" ● Custom BC Wheel ● UNIversal Giraffe/Penguin/Handcycle

Last edited by dima; 2015-01-28 at 11:40 AM.
dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 02:54 PM   #63
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Have you seen my freewheel video?
Yes, I liked it on YouTube when it came out. Nice work! The jump mounts were at the end with the bails/UPDs so I didn't realize that was the normal way to get on. I see that you hold the brake and then do a jump mount. I don't think I'm coordinated enough for that!
Old 2015-02-01, 01:49 PM   #64
dima
Unicyclist

Quote:
The jump mounts were at the end with the bails/UPDs so I didn't realize that was the normal way to get on
Since today's ride I'm starting to use more of inverted static mount (stepping on front pedal first) because I was tired of jump mounts after a great deal of UPDs on deep snow
Nimbus Muni Oracle 26" + Freewheel ● Impact Gravity Trials 20" ● Custom Freestyle Red & Black 20" ● Torker Unistar TX Giraffe 5' ● Nimbus 3-Wheeler Giraffe ● Nimbus Ultimate Wheel 24" ● Custom BC Wheel ● UNIversal Giraffe/Penguin/Handcycle

Last edited by dima; 2015-02-01 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2015-03-04, 11:26 PM   #65
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Jackshaft model in the works

I thought I'd keep it in this thread but JR Drift Trikes is continuing to innovate in the field of geared drift trikes (which carries over to freewheel unicycles). This is a link to the photo of the second version of a prototype for multiple gears:

http://www.facebook.com/JrDriftTrike...6075546547778/

It's jackshaft-based, similar to Justin's 3 Speed Unicycle Build.
Old 2015-03-05, 12:43 AM   #66
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

All sort of baked-into the crown... Interesting!!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 02:59 PM   #67
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Seeing a bit more of it makes it less like Justin's design which had the cranks mounted on the spindle through a custom hub. This is more like a reverse Huni-Rex with a jackshaft.
  • Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
  • Gear 2 - 130% (Gear 1 + 30%)
  • Gear 3 - 148% (Gear 2 + 14%)
  • Gear 4 - 169% (Gear 3 + 14%)
  • Gear 5 - 192% (Gear 4 + 14%)
  • Gear 6 - 220% (Gear 5 + 14%)
  • Gear 7 - 250% (Gear 6 + 14%)
  • Gear 8 - 325% (Gear 7 + 30%)
"The sprockets can be changed to larger ones too, making it all have higher ratios."

Old 2015-03-06, 10:47 AM   #68
Rubberduck
Rubberduck

From My point of view a geared unicycle must have a separately gearbox. One with low play and moving in both directions.

I am making plans (so far in my head only) to make a prototype. As I have no CAD, paper and pencil only, and no possibility to machine things on my own, it makes the decision hard to start this project.

But in general the idea how to do it is born (in my head )

Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet kann sie behalten
Who finds spelling errors may keep them
Rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 05:54 PM   #69
waaalrus
Unicyclist

A new picture of the "GearChanger".

Name:  gearchanger.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 2015-05-13, 06:02 PM   #70
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Looks fairly complicated. 3 seperate points in the chain (per side too?). How easy is it to ride a uni when the pedals aren't on the same line as the seat + wheel?

Super interesting though, and looks clean all built-in to the frame like that!

Still... Freewheeling... Hmmm
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 05:15 PM   #71
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Here's a longer video I shot.

Old 2015-05-21, 06:40 PM   #72
unibokk
Unicyclist

Hello Waalrus, I think attaching a t-bar would be beneficial on your free wheeler.

I've no info to justify this idea but instinctively I think it's the thing to do.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-24, 07:05 PM   #73
dima
Unicyclist

How?! I keep my hand on a brake almost always to be ready to use it anytime
Old 2015-05-25, 07:46 AM   #74
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Here's a longer video I shot.
You're doing great, it must be really difficult to ride. Now that you got this far through practice, how would you rate how tiring this ride is compared to a normal unicycle? Would high-gear freewheeling unicycles have a future in racing or touring? I'd guess not, but you are in a better position now to answer.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 10:38 AM   #75
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
How?! I keep my hand on a brake almost always to be ready to use it anytime
You could have your brake set up close to hand allowing you to feather it for control.

I think the the t-bar set up would give you more stability meaning less torso movement, ( a bit like a biker pulling a wheelie ) The t-bar could be weighted which might temper backward rotation of the frame.

Again, as with normal unicycling there would be a learning curve to develop an even more refined sense of balance but in the long run it would be less tiring.
BUT, this is just a guess.

You wont know until you try it and if you don't try then you'll never know.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct, drive, geared, wonderhub