Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-12-15, 12:03 AM   #16
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

WOOHOO, I got it! - although it is sorta sketchy. I think these count. I posted a video below. I just got my Nimbus Blizzard Trials UNI today and after assembling, I left the seat lower than normal. It took some getting used to, but after about 30 minutes, I started getting a few decent static mounts. I even attempted to go straight into a hop, but I couldn't hold it. I was able to ride off twice, though. I know you can't see my arms, but trust me I wasn't holding on to anything... I'll keep practicing until they feel natural and get smoother. Thanks again for all the tips, they definitely helped!

Last edited by MadFurai; 2011-12-15 at 12:04 AM.
MadFurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 02:18 AM   #17
King Of Suede
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to King Of Suede Send a message via MSN to King Of Suede
Not sure to what extent the OP question has been answered, but what made the difference for me was not thinking of mounting as "put foot on pedal, STEP up to other pedal" but rather thinking of it as "one foot on, JUMP up to the other"

I found it easier when first starting this to lean the unicycle back slightly and jumping forward slightly to allow some counterweight when I put weight on the first pedal.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 11:21 PM   #18
Byc
Unicyclist

Hi MadFurai!

That's exactly how i would describe it.
I only learned it that way, never tried the "foot on pedal, wheel rolling under you"-mount.
You don't have to think about the foot on the pedal, you have to think about the foot that has to come to the other pedal. And when you want to start riding instantly just think about moving forward instead of just mounting.

Greetings

Dru
Byc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 06:05 AM   #19
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

Yes, much of my problem before was because I was thinking of it all wrong. Once I realized the initial leg must stay "locked" and only provides resistance, it came pretty quickly. I can now do static mounts with either foot and they are getting smoother. Another thing that helped me was to concentrate on jumping in more of a forward motion and riding the seat up over the arc (instead of jumping "up"). I can now do very quick static mounts and start riding forward almost instantly or I can go straight from the static mount to hopping. Thanks again for the tips, this is a great skill to have. I already used it to mount a "skinny" and do a "drop." Yes, the skinny is 12 inches wide and only 8 inches off the ground, but its a start!

Last edited by MadFurai; 2011-12-18 at 06:06 AM.
MadFurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, learning, mount, tips