Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Trading Post

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-09-06, 09:05 PM   #1
yojamey
Unicyclist

Wanted 36" Unicycle Coker or Titan or Oracle or ?

My 14 year old daughter currently rides a 29" wheel and has been saving up for a basic 36" wheel

We live in Santa Barbara CA 93105 so ideally something at an attractive price that you are willing to ship via Greyhound or US Mail or UPS or FedEx

Function more important than fashion
yojamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:12 PM   #2
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojamey View Post

My 14 year old daughter currently rides a 29" wheel and has been saving up for a basic 36" wheel

We live in Santa Barbara CA 93105 so ideally something at an attractive price that you are willing to ship via Greyhound or US Mail or UPS or FedEx

Function more important than fashion
There's a cheap coker on ebay right now that won't last for $227. If you click buy it now you can still get it. It's got some rust but it's the cheapest I've ever seen a coker for. If you're interested here it is.
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:17 PM   #3
bnolsen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
There's a cheap coker on ebay right now that won't last for $227. If you click buy it now you can still get it. It's got some rust but it's the cheapest I've ever seen a coker for. If you're interested here it is.
this coudl be decentlycleaned up or is it junk?
Old 2013-09-06, 09:33 PM   #4
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
this coudl be decentlycleaned up or is it junk?
That depends on what you mean by cleaned up. I think it an original coker, or at least an early generation. It has a square taper hub. Looks to me like all the rust is surface except possibly the seat clamp which is only a few dollars to replace. If it were mine I'd take some steel wool and clean it off as best as I could and then paint it. The tire is fairly worn out but looks ride able for a while. If the hub is in good shape then it will probably ride as is even if it isn't pretty. Of course there is an element of risk with buying it but that is always there when buying something online, especially used stuff.
Old 2013-09-06, 09:37 PM   #5
bnolsen
Unicyclist

what a shame they left this outside. Those welds look like they've taken a bit of rust.
Old 2013-09-06, 09:50 PM   #6
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
what a shame they left this outside.
Yep!
Old 2013-09-06, 09:53 PM   #7
LanceB
This space available

That's the cheapest I've seen one in a while. It's pretty old, but is probably functional. The biggest problem is that the shipping will probably be around $100, which totally blows the "good deal" aspect out of the water. Probably better to wait until a better one comes up locally, or save up for a new one.
(Just my $.02)
Old 2013-09-06, 10:23 PM   #8
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
The biggest problem is that the shipping will probably be around $100, which totally blows the "good deal" aspect out of the water.
If that was the case you'd be correct, but it is listed with free shipping...
Old 2013-09-06, 10:35 PM   #9
LanceB
This space available

You're right! Since it says free shipping, it goes back to being a pretty good deal. It also says "Make offer," so in that case I think I'd offer $200 and see. Considering the age and condition, it really doesn't seem to me to be worth more than that. Will probably need a new tire.
Old 2013-09-06, 11:27 PM   #10
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
You're right! Since it says free shipping, it goes back to being a pretty good deal. It also says "Make offer," so in that case I think I'd offer $200 and see. Considering the age and condition, it really doesn't seem to me to be worth more than that. Will probably need a new tire.
Actually there are several offers pending so the only way to get it for sure would be to hit the buy it now, otherwise I'd say the same.
Old 2013-09-08, 08:08 PM   #11
Gogiboy
Gogiboy

36" KH on the Trading Post

There is also a KH 36" on this same Trading Post that hasn't sold yet. Yes, it's $450 without shipping, but based on the provided photos it is in far better condition than the eBay Coker.

My concern--if I was a potential buyer of the Coker--is that the rust may only be superficial, but what about the hub, spokes, crank to hub interface, etc? It could conceivably require a wheel rebuild and a new hub. After all, what uni enthusiast would let their 36" degrade to such a level? Obviously someone who doesn't care for their equipment. This poor Coker doesn't reflect merely miles of hard use it's been subjected to uni-neglect .

I'm not saying it's not repairable, but who is to say what costs might be incurred to make it roadworthy not including the shipping. $ or $$$?

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but...

Last edited by Gogiboy; 2013-09-08 at 08:09 PM. Reason: fix word
Gogiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 09:48 PM   #12
Fungip
Unicyclist

That Coker may need a rim, tire and tube. After paying for the Uni and fixing it, you may have spent almost as much as it would cost to buy a new one. I think the KH 36" is a better deal. I offered to trade my 29" Nimbus Road for the KH, but the seller already bought one.
Fungip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 01:50 AM   #13
bnolsen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogiboy View Post
I'm not saying it's not repairable, but who is to say what costs might be incurred to make it roadworthy not including the shipping. $ or $$$?

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but...
no you aren't being cynnical. The problem with this beat up uni is that it will a time killer getting this thing up to speed. I think he'd be better off offering for cheap locally or just junking it for the metal.

Last edited by bnolsen; 2013-09-09 at 01:57 AM.
bnolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 04:32 PM   #14
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Well, looks like someone bought that old coker... I hope they can fix it up nice.
Old 2013-09-11, 06:05 PM   #15
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Unicycle.com includes shipping for all complete unis, which is a real plus when you are looking at shipping an oversized package, something to consider in your purchase decision.

I'd rather pay a little more for a new uni and a warranty.

Tags
coker, oracle, titan, unicycle, wanted 36, wanted: north america