Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2007-06-14, 04:14 PM   #61
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
hmm... I know why they sold the unis for so cheap!!
they just wanted to get their name out there, and now that it is out there, they raise the price, everyone knows about them, and they have tapped in to the unicycle market. It's actually pretty smart.

i got my KH for 375, that is one heck of a deal. I was seriously about to pay full price on UDC then the price went up, so I had to save up more $$. THEN the day I was going to order it... AE bikes came around. I waited to be sure it was legit and bought up.

now my rim is bent... the clip of when I bent it will be in my next video. It is reasonable for the rim to bend how I bent it, and i know its stronger than my nimbus rim.
I may buy another kh rim to replace it.
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap

Last edited by skrobo; 2007-06-14 at 04:15 PM.
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 04:46 PM   #62
Brian O.
Team Spencer Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrobo
hmm... I know why they sold the unis for so cheap!!
they just wanted to get their name out there, and now that it is out there, they raise the price, everyone knows about them, and they have tapped in to the unicycle market. It's actually pretty smart.
It's really not that clever, the only reason anyone would ever order from them would be their previously low prices. Now that they cost just as much elsewhere we might as well support the sport by going to Bedford, UDC or other similiar shops.
Brian O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 05:12 AM   #63
mornish
magic

Send a message via ICQ to mornish Send a message via AIM to mornish Send a message via MSN to mornish Send a message via Skype™ to mornish
they didnt do that on purpose...
mornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 05:49 AM   #64
Brian O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornish
they didnt do that on purpose...
We are talking about the original low price, not the recent increase.
Old 2007-06-15, 06:04 PM   #65
cbsteven
AEBike.com

Official word from AEBike

Hey Guys,
One of your forum regulars, Terry, called me earlier and expressed some of the concerned that have been raised on this thread, and suggested I introduce myself and tell you guys what I told him.

First point. I would prefer to have our KH products listed at the prices we did last week (maybe a little bit higher, our flat shipping rates of 7.50 were getting killed by the actual UPS costs).

What has happened with KH is what has happened with a couple dozen manufacturer's whose products we sell, since we began getting popular in 2003ish. We thought it was price fixing at first, but saw the pretty sad reality that it's just the currently legal way of regulating prices.

Basically, as a retailer, we have the right to sell our products for whatever price we like. However, a manufacturer also has the right to sell IT's products to whatever dealers it likes, and can cut anybody off for any reason.
They can give you a list of minimum suggested retail prices, or minimum advertised prices, tell you that those prices are what is recommended, and then in a separate paragraph remind you that you can sell for what you like, but you may get cut off for any time and for any reason.

I discovered that we had been cut off from purchasing KH products on Wednesday the 13th. I had not previously been aware of any MSRPs or MAPs on KH products, but have since received a list of those prices.

Obviously I don't like this. I appreciate Kris posting in the thread, and he seems like a good guy. But I disagree with his assessment. If, as he said, we could not afford to sell products at that low of a profit, then the problem would take care of itself.. the market would either put us out of business or we'd realize we have to raise prices in order to pay the rent.

Last point, as I said originally, we can still sell at whatever price we want. So if you drop us an email I'm sure I can still extend our original price.

Thanks!
Cullen
AEBike.com
cbsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 06:27 PM   #66
osmundo
Osmundo

Yea Aebikes!

Just a note of support for Cullen at AE Bikes. I bought a 26" Surly from them in March. I had to piece it together myself, but just gathering the components through their website and having them build the Large Marge Wheel already saved me more $200 from the UDC 24" price. Then, I called Cullen and he knocked off another $100 bucks! No tax, cheap shipping! I scored! I love my huge conumdrum wheel. Anyway, call (or mail), and ask and my experience is that you will be rewarded!
osmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 08:09 PM   #67
semplice
Right on...right on...

Prices

Amen to that, Cullen - it`s only your business - Kris is afraid because UDC is for sure a greater seller than AEBikes and he (Kris) will loose a big dealer if UDC will stop selling his bikes.

Still - for us in Europe, AEBike is not an option - we must pay to UDC...
Why don`t you want to ship overseas????
Is it a tax that kills the price?
semplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 08:19 PM   #68
agentQ
Sam Haber

Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
Was wondering when AEBikes would finaly chime in. So does this mean you will not be getting in anymore stock, or is the price raise so that infact you could get more KH unicycles?

Thanks for the heady prices, I wouldnt be riding a KH29 without you.
-Sam

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 09:17 PM   #69
roakey
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentQ
Thanks for the heady prices, I wouldnt be riding a KH29 without you.
-Sam
And I have a KH20 here in the office that would not have been purchased at the UDC price. I think this move is going to hurt Kris and UDC in the long run.

This speaks volumes about how much UDC is making off of KH Unis. It also unfortunately points out that KH and his distribution chain is more than willing to strong arm retailers.

Roak
Old 2007-06-15, 09:52 PM   #70
feel the light
level 1 fat guy

Thank you Cullen

Hmmmm. What a soap opera. If I understand this right, Kriss is getting pressured by his other dealers, so he tells A E Bike he will cut them off unless they advertise a higher price.
Yet Cullen is pretty clear that he will sell under his own advertised price if you know he will, and call and ask for it !
This is fine for forum regulars in the know , but kinda sucks for the majority of people, who won't get a KH cause they think it's to expensive.
IMHO this is a bad decision on Kriss's part. KH sales will suffer. And guess how someone will feel that pays udc 200$ to stamp a box and hand it to ups, when later they learn the "secret".
I wish Kriss had a little more faith in his customers and the internet model of low overhead capitalism.
feel the light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 02:37 PM   #71
Unicorn
Unicyclist

Way to go Cullen!

I feel warmed by the honesty and openness of Cullen from AEbikes. I have bought a KH20 from AEbikes after having bought a KH29 and KH24 from Municycle.com. I have also had about 6 people who saw me ride and got into Unicycling, buy from AEbikes. All have been very happy withe the service. I feel that the arm twisting done to AEbikes by KH and UDC is very unethical. the way that Cullen posted and said lets settle offline out of the spotlight is very cool. Way to go Cullen! You will keep getting referals from me!

Unicorn

The Unicycling Commune
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 01:55 AM   #72
wickedbob

GO CULLEN GO! I seriously disagree with what kh did and UCD if I can go somewhere else I will from now on I will not support this type of strong arming... Looks like I will be getting more uni stuff from ae! and trialsin from now on....I think this will hurt kh and UCD much more than AE ever would... Way to go guys (sarcastic)... It would be nice to see what kh himself has to say about this all.
wickedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 02:02 AM   #73
Brian O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob
It would be nice to see what kh himself has to say about this all.
He already told us how he feels. Lets let this all die down a bit.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:22 AM   #74
muzzle
UNI branded

This particular issue has the unicyclist community up in arms. I want a cheap KH... Thats the problem I guess, that some people are willing to pay MSRP and some people just aren't. I bought my KH on special, from UDC NZ (it was the last '06 KH in stock) and am happy with the price I paid for it. If I paid full retail price I would not have been able to replace all the parts which I have since broken. All the parts which i might add, came from UDC NZ.
muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 02:34 AM   #75
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
YAY for TRIALSIN!!!!
they rock!
I'm ordering a tire from them now... heheheeheheheheheheheh
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote