Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-11-23, 09:45 AM   #1
napalm
Because i can.

Schlumpf hubs: general discussion.

Hi everyone,

I thought it is a shame that most of the talk of schlumpf hubs occurs in the 'brand new broken schlumpf' thread. So with the teething problems of the first generation hubs being rectified (in a very noble manner by florian i must add), and more and more people enjoying this pretty amazing new piece of equipment i thought it would be time to start a new thread for people to talk and share ideas about their Hubs, the unicycles they are in, shifting techniques etc.

I'll start off, I have my Hub in a KH24" with 150/125 moment cranks (although i have yet to give the 125s a proper go). Slop is hardly noticeable in the hub, and the added weight didn't stop me from climbing my normal route to the summit of Mt Majura (300m of climbing). Once i get my magura brake line fixed i am looking forward to hitting some of the steep sections in high gear- at the moment there is just too much torque hitting my legs and the 1:1 ratio is compulsory.

I can shift within 1 or two pedal strokes of wanting to (but there is some preparation needed to make that happen). My feet are not huge so for me to shift i have to squidge my foot over on the pedal so that it is closer to the button- but also so that the pedal is more under the ball of my foot. At the moment riding on the balls of my feet for long stretches is not the most comfortable (especially if it is getting technical) so noting the terrain further ahead than i usually do is needed. Once i can see there is a spot i will need to downshift i can position my foot and then when i get to it shift on the first or second pedal revolution.

Also noticed (i only just received my hub back from Switzerland) that the cranks have not moved a bit since i initially installed them (despite removing the buttons twice and checking on my 15km ride this evening). They are seated well and there is a god amount of clearance between the crank and the frame.

Ok thats about enough from me- but lets hear from you! How is the schlumpf experience treating you?

cheers,
Mark
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf