Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-16, 08:19 PM   #1
LoneWolf
Unicyclist

Super dumb question

Hi All,
It’s been three years since I was last on here intending to get a unicycle, three and a half years since I last rode one (managing 20 feet), and I still haven’t got one. I’ve taken a liking to the Nimbus Hatchet........opinions and suitability ?
Thanks
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 04:21 AM   #2
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

There are no stupid questions.

Ahem.

Hatchets are cool looking unicycles that are made to fit extra wide tires. Extra wide tires are suitable for soft surfaces like sand, snow, dirt, and thick liquids. Or you can put in a not-so-fat tire and ride it however you want.

It's definitely suitable for looking cool! I like them. But beyond that, it depends on the type of riding you want to do. If it's just cruising around the neighborhood, don't get a really knobby tire.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 06:31 AM   #3
Setonix
Unicyclist

If you only managed 20 feet like ever in your life, you should first stick to a 20" unicycle and learn to ride properly and then upgrade to bigger wheels. Learning on a smaller wheel is easier.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 10:52 AM   #4
song
Unicyclist

For a first unicycle, the Hatchet is overkill. It is big, with spiked pedals, and costs 600 pounds. It is an awfully nice unicycle to be getting dropped on the pavement over and over by a beginner, and it will use its spiked pedals to strike back at your shins in retaliation. It also has a high-quality disk brake that you will not be using for a long time, if ever.

Setonix’s advice is about right. Get a simple 20-inch, or even a fancy 20-inch if you want, and learn to ride it properly. You won’t fall as hard, and you will get better skills than someone who only rides around on a giant monster like the Hatchet. When I was doing my first rides of 10 meters or so, I was terrified of large wheels. Some beginners don’t have this fearfulness, and that’s fine, but you will also learn to ride better if you start with a 20.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 02:34 PM   #5
LoneWolf
Unicyclist

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. Point taken about dropping a very nice unicycle on the pavement. Local neighbourhood is a death trap on the roads for cyclists, so I’ll be mainly off road - cycle tracks, waste ground etc. I did once have a standard practice unicycle, and managed to break it, so bomb proof is disireable !
Old 2019-07-17, 05:33 PM   #6
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

IMHO, there needs to be something out-of-the-ordinary about your off-road terrain to warrant going wider that a 3" tire. Which is why the Hatchet seems to me like a niche unicycle. For a first unicycle, I agree with the others, above: Get a cheap 20". Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 09:51 PM   #7
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

24?

I learned on an old 24 inch muni with 3" tyre.
Being just about on the tall side, at 1.85, I found the 24 inch fine to learn. I got myself a 20" a bit later, when I was able to do about 100m in one go, and found it much more 'nervous'.

The big muni tyre, at very low pressure was great, I thought, because added some inertia to the ride that I think suited my slow and developing reactions.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-18, 07:34 AM   #8
LoneWolf
Unicyclist

There isn’t anything spectacular about the off road tracks where I live so comments regarding a three inch tyre are well received and understood. I have trawled the threads on this forum for info and have found some people learning on 24/26 inch. Advice ?
Also, while I’m here, if I am going to get a Muni, the ever popular questions of 24 or 26 inch and Nimbus or Qu-ax ?
Thanks again guys.
Old 2019-07-18, 08:22 AM   #9
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
I learned on an old 24 inch muni with 3" tyre.
Being just about on the tall side, at 1.85, I found the 24 inch fine to learn. I got myself a 20" a bit later, when I was able to do about 100m in one go, and found it much more 'nervous'.

The big muni tyre, at very low pressure was great, I thought, because added some inertia to the ride that I think suited my slow and developing reactions.
I agree with you that the first time I managed to do 100m was when the tire was nearly empty, so it wasn't so 'nervous' as you describe it. More friction makes it easier to balance, though my first uni I learn on was a 20". I also understand that going from bigger to smaller isn't always easier as the smaller wheel listens more closely. Then again, that is also why it is recommended to learn on a smaller wheel. When ur good at the small wheel you have time enough to adjust on a bigger wheel.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-18, 07:05 PM   #10
SinisterOne
Unicyclist

I learned on a 19” last year, but as soon as I was able to ride around the block, I bought a 26” which I found much easier to ride (once mounted). I go back to the smaller wheel regularly to work on skills, and usually find that my 26” riding improves considerably even after short time on the smaller wheel.

You will definitely beat up your first unicycle, so a cheap one is fine for learning. My 26” came with a disc brake that I am not skilled enough to use and have little need for in Florida. I took the brake off last weekend and found the 1.25 lb reduction in weight made my uni more responsive.

Just choose one and get to learnin’! You will be so glad you did. There is nothing like unicycling.
SinisterOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 02:53 PM   #11
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
I think this is really good advice for beginners. I am applying a similar logic to learning wheel-walking. I do it on the grass, where it takes more deliberate action to move the wheel and the wheel is less likely to slip out in front of me. Since WWing is a newer skill, my reactions are also slow and developing, and I'm not quite ready for the twitchiness of a smooth surface. (The chances of a bad fall are exponentially worse on pavement, as well.)
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 03:25 PM   #12
mrfixit
Unicyclist

Learn on a cheap lighter one, if you quit, you lost nothing. A new learner on a hatchet would destroy the hatchet frame. And your wallet.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 06:58 PM   #13
LoneWolf
Unicyclist

Thanks for all the advice guys. I won’t be wrecking a nice Hatchet until I can ride fairly well. I do like that idea of learning on grass with a Muni tyre !! Grass is inherently softer than pavement !!
Old 2019-07-20, 03:12 AM   #14
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Yup, like everyone is advising, get a 20” to learn on. I learned on a 26” muni, it took me a lot longer than it would have if I had chosen a 20”. I did buy a 19” later on and it is definitely easier to learn things on, and then it was
quick to transfer that skill to the 26”.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 12:26 PM   #15
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I won’t be wrecking a nice Hatchet until I can ride fairly well. I do like that idea of learning on grass with a Muni tyre !! Grass is inherently softer than pavement !!
Careful that grass is also uneven and its softer nature means it is a lot harder to pedal through (the smaller the wheel, the harder).

However, any area with packed dirt will be way easier to ride while dirt is still softer to fall on than concrete

Tags
dumb, question, super