Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2007-11-26, 05:21 AM   #46
aquaman
Missing my coral reef tank

Send a message via AIM to aquaman
I'm a Jewish unicyclist too. In fact, I will start classes at Brandeis University next semester, which in case you don't know has a student population that is >50% Jewish. I hope to start a unicycle club there and teach some of my Jewish friends how to unicycle.
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 12:09 PM   #47
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman
I'm a Jewish unicyclist too. In fact, I will start classes at Brandeis University next semester, which in case you don't know has a student population that is >50% Jewish. I hope to start a unicycle club there and teach some of my Jewish friends how to unicycle.
And you've added proof of how smart Jews are. So new to the forum and yet you clearly know how to use the search and find such threads rather than creating new ones to clog up the lists. Mazel Tov! But don't forget that when you teach a gentile to unicycle, it's almost like converting him or her. So don't just teach your new Jewish friends.

When I went to college one of the first conversations I (over)heard was between two tall blonde (luscious and unattainable) shiksas one of whom was commenting to the other that she didn't realize there would be so many Jews at the school. Turns out she was right about that so I didn't feel so left out.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine

Last edited by JJuggle; 2007-11-26 at 12:10 PM.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 10:48 PM   #48
aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle
When I went to college one of the first conversations I (over)heard was between two tall blonde (luscious and unattainable) shiksas one of whom was commenting to the other that she didn't realize there would be so many Jews at the school. Turns out she was right about that so I didn't feel so left out.
Ahhhh, tall blonde shiksas. Some are smokin' hott and others are not. However, I'm attracted to more Jewish brunettes than blonde shiksas .
Old 2007-11-26, 11:39 PM   #49
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Ahhhh, tall blonde shiksas. Some are smokin' hott and others are not. However, I'm attracted to more Jewish brunettes than blonde shiksas .
Me too.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 12:14 AM   #50
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Kindly refrain from using hate speech in JC forum, please

Even if this thread is like an exclusive country club.

shiksa:

a derogatory term used by Jews to refer to non-Jewish women
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Shiksa (Yiddish: שיקסע) or "Shikse," is a Yiddish word that has moved into English usage, mostly in North American Jewish culture, and is used as a pejorative for a gentile (or non-Jewish) woman.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiksa
Old 2007-11-27, 12:22 AM   #51
aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
Even if this thread is like an exclusive country club.

shiksa:

a derogatory term used by Jews to refer to non-Jewish women
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Shiksa (Yiddish: שיקסע) or "Shikse," is a Yiddish word that has moved into English usage, mostly in North American Jewish culture, and is used as a pejorative for a gentile (or non-Jewish) woman.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiksa
Yes, I know, but it's also faster for us to say shiksa than non-Jewish woman or gentile woman. Therefore, it has become used more and more frequently as just meaning non-Jewish woman without having any derogatory connotation.
Old 2007-11-27, 01:16 AM   #52
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Yes, I know, but it's also faster for us to say shiksa than non-Jewish woman or gentile woman. Therefore, it has become used more and more frequently as just meaning non-Jewish woman without having any derogatory connotation.
You, my friend, have just walked into a minefield.

With Billy it's much better to say, "yeah yeah".

And as we all know, when spoken correctly a double positive can equal a negative.

And for the record I married a tall blonde shiksa.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine

Last edited by JJuggle; 2007-11-27 at 01:17 AM.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 02:50 AM   #53
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle
...for the record I married a tall blonde shiksa.
You lucky ba$tard!

For the record, I married a short Jewish brunette. And I'm a pretty lucky ba$tard, too!

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 03:53 AM   #54
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Please: Stop using hate speech.

Quote:
Just as it's difficult for a Black person to hear a White person use the "n" word without experiencing the derogatory....

When you hear a gentile use the slang word for a Jewish person, can you hear that they have no derogatory connotation?

After you understood that person had married a Jewish person, and loved and valued Jewish people, would you feel comfortable with them freely using such slang terms?

You don't know the bad impression you are making, because you are immersed in a deviant subculture. Most Jews do not use derogatory words for gentiles. Stop it.

Billy
Old 2007-11-27, 03:59 AM   #55
aquaman

To be honest, I didn't know "shiksa" was derogatory. I apologize.

Personally, if I had to choose between a blonde and a brunette I would choose the brunette over the blonde regardless of religion. I just think they're sexier.

Last edited by aquaman; 2007-11-27 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2007-12-17, 02:48 AM   #56
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
To be honest, I didn't know "shiksa" was derogatory. I apologize.

Personally, if I had to choose between a blonde and a brunette I would choose the brunette over the blonde regardless of religion. I just think they're sexier.
You're a better man!!

and there's less problem discriminating on the basis of LOOKS when choosing a sex partner.

Page 49, today's NYTimes (Metro Section): In Kiryas Joel, NY, a Satmar Jewish town. A Hasidic Satmar woman named Toby Greenberg received threats because she chose to deviate from the culture of modesty. She chose to wear denim skirts, long, natural looking wigs made of human hair, and stockings without a visible seam--traditional worn because they show that a woman's legs are not bare.

She accused the "vad hatznius"--the rabbinically appointed modesty committee that enforces the village rules of behavior and appearance. Usually, they just refuse to let your kids into school.

Anyone see the article? The State police investigation closed because no one would cooperate.
Old 2007-12-17, 05:42 AM   #57
TheGreenMonster
Unicyclist

im christian and i love jesus and i feel sorry for the guy on here who said he's athiast i hope you find christ someday

noah fife

http://onewheel.typepad.com/onewheel/ uniblog
TheGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 06:29 AM   #58
aquaman

TheGreenMonster, please don't try to be a missionary. As a Jew, I believe in Hashem, but (hopefully speaking for all Jews) we don't try to convert people. People have the right to choose whether or not to observe a religion. Just because he's atheist doesn't mean he's unhappy. Here's a little learning lesson. Orthodox Judaism generally discourages potential converts from converting so that only those with a true desire to adopt Judaism and enter the Jewish community will persist and become Jewish. Recently, the Reform movement announced that it will now begin to actively invite non-Jews to convert to Judaism. Personally, I frown upon this action b/c I support the Orthodox views toward conversion; I'm a conservative Jew.
Old 2007-12-17, 06:47 AM   #59
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Quote:
TheGreenMonster, please don't try to be a missionary. As a Jew, I believe in Hashem, but (hopefully speaking for all Jews) we don't try to convert people. People have the right to choose whether or not to observe a religion. Just because he's atheist doesn't mean he's unhappy. Here's a little learning lesson. Orthodox Judaism generally discourages potential converts from converting so that only those with a true desire to adopt Judaism and enter the Jewish community will persist and become Jewish. Recently, the Reform movement announced that it will now begin to actively invite non-Jews to convert to Judaism. Personally, I frown upon this action b/c I support the Orthodox views toward conversion; I'm a conservative Jew.

I dont think he is trying to be a missionary. nor was he saying people didnt have the right to choose. He just announced how he felt about it, and not even in a confronting way.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 03:27 AM   #60
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
Page 49, today's NYTimes (Metro Section): In Kiryas Joel, NY, a Satmar Jewish town. A Hasidic Satmar woman named Toby Greenberg received threats because she chose to deviate from the culture of modesty. She chose to wear denim skirts, long, natural looking wigs made of human hair, and stockings without a visible seam--traditional worn because they show that a woman's legs are not bare.

She accused the "vad hatznius"--the rabbinically appointed modesty committee that enforces the village rules of behavior and appearance. Usually, they just refuse to let your kids into school.

Anyone see the article? The State police investigation closed because no one would cooperate.
I read that too. The article says residents considered to be flouting the villages stringent modesty rules have been victims of vandalism, beatings and arson, as well as expulsion. Cars set on fire, windows smashed.

In this particular case, the tires of her Chevy Impala were slashed and the warning "Get out, defiled person" was slathered in Yiddish in white paint on a window.

Apparently there's a book about how the immodest women become targets: "Unchosen: The Hidden Lives of Hasidic Rebels."

Tags
сосиска, jewish, unicycle, unicyclists, wurst