Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-05-26, 12:25 AM   #29086
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue View Post
Also, was my birthday last week.
I pushed the boat out and bought myself a Darth Vader helmet.
Because, y'know, you never know when you might need one.

Right?
Happy Birthday, Blue!! Great helmet for unicycling!! (Though someone else does that ....)
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 07:42 PM   #29087
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

[employment_related_ramblings]

Sooo, the top two guys at my fire centre have retired and we have all been wondering who was going to take the "reigns".

Well the Senior Fire Manager position has finally been filled, the new boss officially starts on Friday.

The Fire Centre Coordinator position has now been advertised three times. A few people that I thought were shoe-ins ended up failing the interview and it's still open. I applied on the third round and have an interview tomorrow.

I'm still not sure if I really want the job. After two years I finally feel I have gained the skills, knowledge, training, and experience to do my current job properly. I'm comfortable where I am, and for the most part have an AWSM schedule.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself as I have yet to do the interview and don't know if they would offer me the job but if they do, and I accept, I would be giving up a good job I am comfortable with and good at, for a job two levels higher on the pay scale and one step up the organizational ladder.

I would actually make less money over the summer, wouldn't have paid lunches, 6.5 day brakes between 7.5 day shifts, or regular opportunities to bank a bunch of overtime for flexible extra pay or time-off beyond vacation leave. But I could go home at five, ignore my phone and actually eat my lunch over lunch hour, and not get calls at 2:00 AM regarding underage arsonists lighting fires behind various schools.

I guess I could consider it a learning opportunity and a way to continue my education in wildfire management. I'm not sure what I am going to do with that education, kind of like the degree I finished a year ago. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up I guess.

If I would want to go back to my current job I would just have to wait for my counterpart to retire in two years.

Anyways wish me luck.

[/employment_related_ramblings]
Old 2018-05-28, 11:57 PM   #29088
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Good luck. And remember, it's important to have competent people in that position and maybe you're that guy.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 10:18 AM   #29089
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I applied on the third round and have an interview tomorrow.
Inquiring minds?

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Old 2018-06-08, 12:34 PM   #29090
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I think the interview went fairly well but not super well. It was hard to tell what they were actually asking on some of the questions.

It's still a bit of a secret at this point, but the job was offered to another candidate with more seniority over a week ago. There hasn't been any official communiqué associated with him accepting, which still leaves stuff up in the air.
Old 2018-06-08, 10:21 PM   #29091
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Most everything in life is nothing but air.

Old 2018-06-15, 11:49 PM   #29092
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
So I just got a remote job. Anyone have any suggestions on (preferably cheap) cities to live near in North America? I'm currently in DC and its hot, miserable, and over priced and I'm looking to get out.

(Also it blows my mind that this thread is still alive after nearly 15 years)
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 09:31 PM   #29093
Into the blue
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_SkunkMan View Post
(Also it blows my mind that this thread is still alive after nearly 15 years)
Considerably more than fifteen years if you include the original MR.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 09:34 PM   #29094
Into the blue
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
I would actually make less money over the summer, wouldn't have paid lunches, 6.5 day brakes between 7.5 day shifts, or regular opportunities to bank a bunch of overtime for flexible extra pay or time-off beyond vacation leave. But I could go home at five, ignore my phone and actually eat my lunch over lunch hour, and not get calls at 2:00 AM regarding underage arsonists lighting fires behind various schools.
Sounds like you're at that awkward 'middle management' stage where you get all of the responsibilities with none of the financial benefits.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM   #29095
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Well it's official, I'm not getting a new job, but I am getting a new boss and he starts on Monday the 25th. I'm pretty OK with that. I didn't really want to loose those week long weekends.

I just took a day and 10 hours off for my aunt and uncles 50th wedding anniversary. It was good to see a bunch of the cousins I don't see often, and a could new addition mini-cousins that I had not met yet.

I was hoping to just stop in the office this evening say hi to Alena who was covering the weekend, grabbing the phone and heading home, Instead I have this:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 18
Size:  89.1 KB

The fun has started again , I think I'll be in the office a while tonight.

Mr. Skunk Man Sir, I think we need more specifics of what you are looking for or else we are (I am) just going to suggest places like Duck Lake Saskatchewan. Cheep houses, no property tax for the first three years, School, Grocery store all that good stuff and not too far from the lakes (though there are other places closer that are just as cheap.)

For some reason I have always thought it would be cool to live in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia but their weather might not be terribly different from what you are trying to get away from.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM   #29096
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
Quote:
Mr. Skunk Man Sir, I think we need more specifics of what you are looking for or else we are (I am) just going to suggest places like Duck Lake Saskatchewan. Cheep houses, no property tax for the first three years, School, Grocery store all that good stuff and not too far from the lakes (though there are other places closer that are just as cheap.)

For some reason I have always thought it would be cool to live in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia but their weather might not be terribly different from what you are trying to get away from.
I'll need to double check after I start, but I may need to stay in the US or my comp structure may change if I move to Canada, although I'd totally consider it. It's definitely supported (there is at least one team member in Saskatoon and one in BC), just not sure since I'm not a Canadian citizen (although it might be easier to get since I did go to school there). I may hold off a year or so until looking into Canada. I have heard good things about Nova Scotia, and I didn't actually think people lived in New Brunswick.

Atm I'm thinking Pittsburgh since the COL and income tax are relatively low and I know a decent number of people or maybe just pick a secluded place in New England. I'm also considering just living out of a van and moving from place to place. I really have no idea what I want. I left the question vague for that reason.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM   #29097
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Vanlife eh? You might want to check with our commander and chief GILBY, he may have some tips for you. He seems to be galavanting around with a truck camper lately.

I've toured around the Canadian East Coast in a Ford Explorer, the Australian Outback in a little Pugeot, New Zealand in a ISUZU camper van. All great experiences.

With the exception of New Zealand I wasn't actively working during these trips though.

Tags
768, angrybirdsucksrealhard, blue blue, bluesopopular, gilby must delete this, gilby please delete this, gilby will delete this, i want blue inside me, i'm drunker than blue, intotheblue.is.sexy, intothebluemyhero, it wuz t*rry, itemno530, ivanmegadestroyer, most replys, noloitering!!!, reply, replys, return, spamtagsftw, stillpagedance, terry is the mind killer, terry.is.evil, terryreallydidkillmr, thevirginmaryisinblue!