Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-01-26, 04:28 PM   #16
gwymer
Unicyclist

Day 5

Well, let's start with the positive. The new tire is skinnier than the rim, so leg armor was pretty much optional. No rubbing or dragging or snagging of the armor. That was SWEET! The wheel is also lighter-don't think that really effected learning, but walking back up the path to start down again, and again, carrying it, was easier. That about wraps up the positive.....

Ok, a tire that skinny is extremely hard to stay balanced on top of!! Huge difference-which equated to a huge step backwards. Now maybe once I have it down, I could handle and appreciate the smaller profile, but for now, it set me way back. It looked much more like circus riding with me teetering back and forth from rubbing one leg to the other. NOT PRETTY!! I also decided to attempt going up hill on the incline to see how that did--pretty much impossible at this juncture. I did take a little air out of the tire and that helped a little--leading me to.....

--Conclusion: I need a "townie" style tire. Wider than my rim but without all the "mud knobs". That would offer enough of a surface to balance on, without grabbing my armor or legs.

Still loving the process and the chance to learn something new. I can't wait for a decent day to get back out and continue practicing!!
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 04:05 AM   #17
gwymer
Unicyclist

Excuse or needed change?

Ok, so one time I set out to teach this middle school kid how to ride. Every time I worked with him it was one excuse after another.
-This road is too bumpy
-These shoes are slick
-The tire is a little low
-I'm just tired today

He never learned to ride. He "tried" off and on for months and months.

So, as I let everyone know about my 3rd tire, I am reminded of the story and questioning in my own mind if the tire is an excuse. Or is it like Goldie Locks and one was really too hard, one too soft and this is it. Well, hopefully soon we will know the answer. New Tire installed today!! Looking at it, I am optimistic, but that describes this whole process.
--First tire--mountain bike Knobby Kenda 26 x 2.10
--Second tire--street slick (other extreme) 26 x 1
--Third tire--(hopefully last) Good Year townie 26 x 2.125

Here are pics of #2 and #3
Updates to come....
Attached Images

Old 2019-03-12, 11:04 PM   #18
gwymer
Unicyclist

Day 6+

Ok, FINALLY no rain or cold. Maybe spring will come??? I actually went out for a few minutes a couple of days after putting on the new tire. Not really enough time except to see if the tire would work. Today I got in a full practice.

Good news: LOTS
*Love the new tire.
*Size and shape much better than last 2.
*I even shed my KH leg armor. (Rubs a little on jeans but not enough to stop from riding.)
*Even with the large gap in practice time. Picked up right where I left off
*Got about 7 revolutions without touching the fence.

Great weather, lots of good practice. REALLY hope to have to figure out how to get a video in here before summer of how I am actually riding this thing.

Long term plan is still to pick up a light aluminum UDC 24 inch and put folding pedals on it so that it is very portable. Then plan to adapt a backpack so I can carry it with me (like and elastic "x" strap system that it will hang on the back of the backpack.

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO RIDE THE THING FIRST!!
Old 2019-04-04, 11:32 AM   #19
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post
... I get a pair of old cranks and cut them down and find some really strong large fender washers...
Are the cranks only held in place by one of the three screws or are they kind of clamped between pedal and crank?
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-04, 11:46 PM   #20
gwymer
Unicyclist

I used a Dremel tool to notch the plywood so the crank fit inside snugly and flush to the front. It did not go all the way through. You are right, only 1 of the bolts goes through the crank. There is a large fender washer on both sides of the plywood sandwiching the crank and the other 2 bolts help pinch the washers together and keep them from shifting. They are only 1/4 inch diameter bolts. Has been very strong so far. I had to do it that way since I checked several places and could not find a reverse threaded nut or even one right hand threaded that had the same thread count as the pedals. Friend had old cranks and they are aluminum so they weren't hard to cut.
Old 2019-04-05, 02:40 AM   #21
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post
I used a Dremel tool to notch the plywood so the crank fit inside snugly and flush to the front. It did not go all the way through. You are right, only 1 of the bolts goes through the crank. There is a large fender washer on both sides of the plywood sandwiching the crank and the other 2 bolts help pinch the washers together and keep them from shifting. They are only 1/4 inch diameter bolts. Has been very strong so far. I had to do it that way since I checked several places and could not find a reverse threaded nut or even one right hand threaded that had the same thread count as the pedals. Friend had old cranks and they are aluminum so they weren't hard to cut.
9/16” nuts are hard to find in reverse thread. If you use 1/2” pedals the nuts are easy to find at the hardware store. I had this idea for pedal mounts when I stumbled across 1/2x20 left nuts at the local Ace. With tee nuts, and fender washers I don’t think I spent more than a few dollars on all of the hardware for both pedals. I already had the pedals in my parts bin (it’s a popular BMX size).
Old 2019-05-17, 03:29 AM   #22
gwymer
Unicyclist

Day 7 & 8

Well, the original post was to hold me accountable--and following the time frame--it hasn't done the best job. I am still determined and according to pure days of practice, I am still poised to be basically riding by 2 weeks of "practicing".

Day 7 & 8 still saw huge gains. Biggest thought:

If it has been a LONG time since you learned to ride a unicycle and you are teaching others--I STRONGLY suggest trying an ultimate wheel. It is VERY much like starting over and feeling what new unicyclists are feeling.

Examples: Day 7 saw little gains from letting go of the rail some but on day 8 I had the epiphany of what I do with new riders--if you don't leave the rail, you will stop seeing large improvements.
Day 8--started with only 3 sections left of the fence--then the open parking lot. Learned much faster how to keep up longer with no rail. I also discovered as I know with new unicyclists--you are so focused on NOT falling, you have NO concept of directionality/steering in a particular direction--I veer heavy right.

By the end of Day 8 though I had two times where I made it 50-60 feet (20+ revolutions) without the rail though--HUGE improvement. Now, the insides of my legs are raw, but still massive steps forward. I even ended up gathering quite an audience of strangers cheering me on!!

So close to having it down. No weather excuses and about to be out for the summer, so more time--running out of excuses not to just GET THIS DOWN!!

Tags
build, ultimate, wheel