Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2008-02-09, 07:33 PM   #61
unibikeling
Vendetta Against Freestylers

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdentified
has anyone thought about using hydraulics? it wouldnt work quite like suspension. but you could just drop the frame so it's right on your tire when you park it. actually you probably use something like the set up in an office chair. you just wouldnt be able to raise it while you were rollin. I know a guy in edmonton here who builds billet wheels and he figures he could build something to work with a uni hub. then just do a lil gold flake chameleon paint job on there. big pimpin ladies. big pimpin
Your talking about a tire with hydraulic pistons in it? well, if you are, tjpse sytems dont work unless your able to mount a piston in one area, and not have it move, which would sorta defeat and abilites, if your talking in the frame, its not actuall suspension

Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!-My Videos

Sprite Off Winner 08~
unibikeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:45 PM   #62
UNIdentified
Unicyclist

I'm talkin about having the "pistons" in the frame. So that it would raise the frame to a comfortable length for cruising but u could lower it just for fun. Obviously I'm not talking about using it for its suspension qualities. Id love to just roll up to the store on my uni and lower the hell out of it, then you ride it real nice and slow. That would be badass. As for the rim. I was just sayin that cause if you could get a one off billet wheel for your flaked out slammmed down street uni. Well that would be a beautiful thing to me.

Last edited by UNIdentified; 2008-02-09 at 07:55 PM.
UNIdentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:48 PM   #63
unibikeling

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
sounds cool. Draw up some plans man lol. instead of the frame, why dont you jsut do seatpost? because the frame would end up sitting on the tire lol. A seatpost with a deskchair hydraulic in it would be pretty cool

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2008-02-09, 08:03 PM   #64
UNIdentified
Unicyclist

the seat post would be easier. this is true. but im thinkin of it more from a "car guy" sorta view. and the idea with that is to have the frame sitting on the tire for show when its parked. with as little clearance between the frame and the tiree as possible. but its just a loosely concieved idea. a vision.
UNIdentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 08:05 PM   #65
unibikeling

its still a great idea though. Im looking forward to see a hydraulic unicycle lol..

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2008-02-09, 08:24 PM   #66
PetePuma
It must have been someother guy

Hopefully this pic will load. I tried to come up with a simple way to do it. maybe use an elastomer instead of springs. This is just an idea, not a worked out design.
PetePuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 08:27 PM   #67
PetePuma

My bad..
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-09, 08:29 PM   #68
unibikeling

that actually seems really cool pete. very awesome at first glance its a little big, if it can be slimmed down the the width of a crank... and not pull out of its socket, it'd be pretty awesome

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2008-02-10, 01:03 AM   #69
PetePuma

Thank you. I'm thinking that to make it stable and give the split part of the crank more support it could have plates on either side which would also give the part that the pedal is attached to lateral stability. The pedal lever pivot could be attached to the plates making the internal portion of the split crank really simple. Maybe the springs could be clutch springs or dual rate springs. the nice thing is that the main unit would be slim and would be out of the way even though it would look big and dorky.
Old 2008-02-10, 07:32 AM   #70
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

This looks kind of extreme. You can get about 3 inches of compression from a MUni tire when it bottoms. This spring has less travel than that. A trials tire will give you about 2 inches and this is slightly more. Your feet would move closer together, too, which might feel weird. I would like to find out what the elastic limit is for a spring steel like 1095 and what the likely deformation is. Maybe a coil spring around the axle is necessary. That makes things complicated and ugly.
Attached Images

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 03:01 PM   #71
unibikeling

I actually like that a lot. If it actually has the same elasticity as your sketch, it'd end up hurting your ankles i think. If you landed off of a big drop you'd end up loosing your footing and twisting, if not breaking an ankle. i still think its a really cool idea. If it was too elastic-like it could cause bad damage lol..

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2008-02-10, 09:53 PM   #72
sutton629
Ride For Fun

Send a message via AIM to sutton629
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper
This looks kind of extreme. You can get about 3 inches of compression from a MUni tire when it bottoms. This spring has less travel than that. A trials tire will give you about 2 inches and this is slightly more. Your feet would move closer together, too, which might feel weird. I would like to find out what the elastic limit is for a spring steel like 1095 and what the likely deformation is. Maybe a coil spring around the axle is necessary. That makes things complicated and ugly.
60 degrees of torque would be a rather fat person or a very serious drop with a metal that is strong enough to be able to actually ride on when not hopping. Is that autocad that you drew those up on?
Old 2008-02-10, 11:48 PM   #73
unisteve
Yes?

Send a message via MSN to unisteve
Perhaps I am missing something, but would "sprung" or spring-equipped cranks not foster horrendously inefficient use of pedalling energy?
Old 2008-02-11, 12:18 AM   #74
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton629
60 degrees of torque would be a rather fat person or a very serious drop with a metal that is strong enough to be able to actually ride on when not hopping. Is that autocad that you drew those up on?
That is in AutoCAD.

A four foot drop with 2 inches of compression for a 160 pound rider constitutes an impulse force of about 2000 pounds. This estimate assumes AISI 1095 steel, 0.5cm thick, 2cm wide, 7.5cm long from clamp to clamp, and with linear restoring force over the entire 60 degrees. The same 160 pound rider when standing with all of his weight on one pedal can of course only exert 160 pounds. That would deflect the pedal about 0.16 inches. Pedaling may or may not see this full weight of the rider on each half stroke. The entire problem is non-linear because that compression also causes the pedal to rotate about the wheel axle. At 60 degrees the spring steel would probably be permanently deformed. In the limit, 90 degrees of rotation, the pedal is stopped at the bottom and compression ceases entirely. I think it might be more interesting to see if pedals like these could be used as a springboard to increase hopping height.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 12:18 AM   #75
Brian O.
Team Spencer Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisteve
Perhaps I am missing something, but would "sprung" or spring-equipped cranks not foster horrendously inefficient use of pedalling energy?
Yeah, I'd imagine riding up or down a steep slope would feel pretty horrible.
Brian O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
сосиска, eureka, grail, holy, mumpitz, suspension, unicycle, unicycles, wurst