Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2008-02-08, 05:23 AM   #31
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper
Thus:
Maybe a spring action could be incoroporated into the hub, where it would provide a strong flex/recoil in right and left axles (and in both directions), but only when putting enough weight/pressure on it-when hopping, etc-to engage it. The spring would have to be pretty strong as to provide sufficient recoil to provide desired results.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2008-02-08 at 05:24 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 05:47 AM   #32
torkerdx
to tire-3ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibikeling
everything would essentially have a enclosure, like plastic or something, I might vacum press some plastic parts for just the outside, Its what ive created, i plan to start building it soon
let us know how the failure.... i mean project goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianduniaddict
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
Yes, being old makes you stupid.
torkerdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 01:25 PM   #33
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibikeling
EUREKA!!!! I finally did it! I think ive created the plans that would accomplish it! I spent nearly 2 hours drawing these up. Their pretty sketchy... But it gets the point across, the 2 pictures are supposed to be connected to eachother where it says, like overlapped. And all berrings in the picture would have berring housings on them, from a unicycle frame or otherwise, so i wouldnt damage the berrings by welding on them, well, here it is!
Fixed your picture:
Attached Images

scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 01:40 PM   #34
unibikeling
Vendetta Against Freestylers

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
Thank you so much lol. I'm gonna bring the plans into school today to show my friends, at the moment im at home doing homework lol..

Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!-My Videos

Sprite Off Winner 08~
unibikeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 02:10 PM   #35
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Why not run the top drive axle through the seat post part of the frame? That way you could have a bearing housing on each side of the seatpost to support the top drive axle.
MuniSano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 05:30 PM   #36
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Sounds like the object here is to suspend the pedals while allowing the wheel to move up and down. But not to make a giraffe? In other words, to keep the height as minimal as possible. Lowering the pedals below the axle is an interesting idea, long as your wheel size is big enough to allow enough pedal clearance with the ground.

On the other hand, if it's for a Trials uni, you probably need the pedals *higher* than the wheel axle or your clearance will disappear on big drops. Don't forget to allow for your wheel travel and make sure there's still room for the pedals to clear the ground, the frame to stay clear of your legs, etc.

Speaking of travel, will the seat be suspended, or is this just for out-of-seat major shocks? It's not really "full suspension" until the wheel is isolated from the frame and pedals. That would be cool too, but sounds like a bunch more weight would be involved...

Harper's suggestions were right-on. Your top drive shaft will need at least two bearings to hold it in place. Don't underestimate the amount of force that will be switching from one side to the other as you pedal! If that shaft wiggles around it will foul up the system.

In general, you should consider your current drawings to be a first draft. There's a long way to go from there to a workable prototype. Once you figure out the major engineering (like drive shaft mounting, shocks vs. springs), then step back and look at the overall thing again. Is it going to weigh 50 pounds? Maybe there's a way to do it with less parts. As suggested earlier, you should only need one final drive chain, which will lighten things up and lower your Q-factor a bit. Your Q-factor is going to still be pretty huge though, but better to prove the concept before getting too fussy on making it fit tightly together.

Enjoy the project, and keep showing us your progress!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 06:24 PM   #37
mscalisi
Unicyclist

I think it's awesome that you're attempting such a cool engineering project. You've got a lot of obstacles to overcome, and a lot of creative input.

Regarding the naysayers. They might be right. They might be wrong, but at the end of it all, you'll have gained some valuable experience that they didn't.
Old 2008-02-08, 06:49 PM   #38
sutton629
Ride For Fun

Send a message via AIM to sutton629
Quote:
Thus:
I took a minute or two to edit a set of cranks that I already had drawn. This is what it might look like.

I only edited one of them to show the comparison.
my opinion (be warned I am often wrong) the frame should not need suspention because most of the time when jumping the rider is standing up. Even with nice suspention like that I know that I would not want to be seated. Most all shocks are absorbed with the legs but hey it is a cool idea and could be the next thing for making a smoother ride on a coker on the road. For trials though I thought that the spring leaf in the crank was curious. It would maybe take out some of the shock from a big drop but may have a catapult affect on the rider after the initial bounce. Just the spring of the tire launches me off some times. I think that it would just take some getting used to but could be cool for trails. I just draw stuff but I would sure like to test this out or see it tried.
Old 2008-02-08, 08:26 PM   #39
unisk8r
One Wheel Wander

Hmm, the drawing seems to imply flexible cranks as a suspension component (I'm probably missing something here)?
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:34 PM   #40
thejdw
elcycinu

Quote:
Thus:
but if that was taken off a large drop then in could bend, beyond its elastic properties.

Last edited by thejdw; 2008-02-08 at 08:35 PM.
thejdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:39 PM   #41
unisk8r
One Wheel Wander

I meant that only crank was flexible. Won't that cause an issue as being asymmetric?
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:50 PM   #42
mscalisi
Unicyclist

It just occured to me that with both the flexy cranks (awesome idea!) and the suspension wheel unicycle that there is a potential problem.

The unicycle frame, now decoupled from the wheel, has the potential to accelerate indepenently toward your crotch as you land the drop. Actually, more accurately, as you land the frame would start deccelerating faster than your crotch. You would have to ride with your seat several inches lower than usual.

Last edited by mscalisi; 2008-02-08 at 08:51 PM.
mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 09:33 PM   #43
unibikeling

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
Howdy again guys, Thanks for the compliments, and the ideas to improve it. Today during school ive solved some structural problems with it.

top: the single berring to support that axel will be held with 2 berrings on a metal plate attached to the frame, oh also, the fact im not putting the axel through the seatpost is because it was an afterthought on my frist plans because it was harder to run it through, now that i solved my berring problems it should be easier. ALSO, my sprokets are going to be far smaller than what i have in the plans, they will also probably be right on the flat T of the frame (brain fart on the word atm), which will make it harder to get things hooked on it, i'll also have some sort of sheetmetal, or plastic molded casing over it.

Bottom: I solved my problems with the action factor in my 'pistons' (or shocks), im going to make it look like a piston for the most part, but it's going to be a spring system (i'll post a sketch later) and that will give me the stability of the piston, with the reaction and play of a spring. I'm also going to try and get really heavy duty springs, i'll play with some and find whats right. My chain tensioner is going down just to my spring/piston idea, thats what the shaft is going to be (i hope, depends) i'll have some plates welded mabye to give it a stopping point so i doesnt derail.

Cranks: My cranks will stay in the same place and everything that they are, i'm going to reinforce how their mounted, by puting a metal plate along the side of the frame, unless my bike tubing is good enough.

Tire: im going to limit how much travel it has, i'm going to allow it 3'' probably, depending on my springs. I might also have a curved t on my frame, so my tire can move. My tire is just gonna be a 20'' off my old nimbus freestyle (which i totaly wrecked)

Overall: i solved all my problems with help from you guys, my friends, and my dad and brother. Thank you so much peoplez , I hope to get started on it this weekend mabye, just need to go to a junk pile. I'll be able to scavange all my parts hopefully. I'm gonna start drawing more plans tonight, well, tracing the ones i have i think, because i want the originals.

p.s. thanks John

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2008-02-08, 09:58 PM   #44
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalisi
It just occured to me that with both the flexy cranks (awesome idea!) and the suspension wheel unicycle that there is a potential problem.

The unicycle frame, now decoupled from the wheel, has the potential to accelerate indepenently toward your crotch as you land the drop. Actually, more accurately, as you land the frame would start deccelerating faster than your crotch. You would have to ride with your seat several inches lower than usual.
Or include a suspension seat post/forks.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 10:16 PM   #45
unibikeling

sorry guys, gotta go to a wake in a sec, anyway

I might add a suspension seatpost also, if i have space, i have my own ideas for an inexpensive one lol. At the moment my feat is to make the unicycle as i plan it

Sprite Off Winner 08~

Tags
сосиска, eureka, grail, holy, mumpitz, suspension, unicycle, unicycles, wurst