Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-04-04, 11:25 PM   #31
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

mmm I thought it over again and you do need to add that 50%, Now I remember why I dropped out of engineering
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 01:14 PM   #32
florian

Broken hub?

Hi Chuck,

this is Florian, the maker of the hub. Sorry for my late reply, I just come back from holidays and couldn't check my emails the past two days!

I don't think, that you can crack any parts inside the hub. No part is under high load, not even at high acceleration or when braking. The limitation for jumps is mostly due to the size of the hollow axle.
Unless having more details, I suppose, that:
- either the gear shift buttons aren't correctly adjusted. This is the most important detail. If the buttons are screwed in too much, the clutch can't engage properly and can't transmit high torques. Needless to say, that riding this way is extremely dangerous!
- or the left side screws, that hold the knurled bearing aren't tightened enough. If so, the hub works properly in low gear (1:1), but would spin freely in high gear.
- In any case, the gear shift buttons must switch from one to the other position without any friction. They must audibly engage. The angle from one engagement into the next is never more than 30°.

Hope, we can find the reason for this problem soon! The hubs have been tested long time and we had no other problem than a broken axle, before switching to the much thicker axle ends.

Florian

BTW: I just put the new KH manual on our website http://www.schlumpf.ch. There you can find all instructions for installation and maintenance. You should have got this manual when purchasing the hub from your dealer.
florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 06:06 PM   #33
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
Sorry to hear about this Chuck. Hopefully you'll get a new one soon and they'll figure out what went wrong.
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 07:25 PM   #34
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

Send a message via AIM to chuckaeronut
Hi, Florian, thank you for your input! I just today managed to get the hub out of my wheel, and I'm going to FedEx it to you as fast as I can do it (without spending a fortune) so you can see it.

That the hub's parts are each never under high load even when mashing the pedals is really, really good news to me. I hate thinking I'll break something by using it, so I'm glad something abnormal must have happened.

Yes, I got the manual, and read it thoroughly and used it to install the hub; as far as I know, the hub had properly been engaged all the way, but, seeing as I don't know the internals of the hub, I can't know for sure. I'd been shifting without difficulty all night up to that point, and the hub had always engaged nearly immediately (always before 30°!). I don't believe my shifter buttons were too far in... I had them so they were flush with the top of the (Moment) crank when depressed. The left-side screws were definitely clinched down HARD, but I don't think having the knurled bearing spin in the frame would cause the internals to break... wouldn't it just cause the hub to "slip"?

I did notice that, sometimes when in high gear and under heavy load (when I was trying to idle in high gear), there seems to be a bunch of internal friction in the hub and it feels like there's a brake engaged or something. (I checked and the wheel never touched the frame.) Do you think this is unique to my hub? (if so, could it have been related?) .... anyone else notice this? Figured I'd ask!
Old 2008-04-05, 09:58 PM   #35
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisk8r
My understanding is that Florian is thinking about a bike unit that could handle all torque loads in both directions. That would be a great mechanical breakthrough, actually.
I have seen rumors of a bike system in development designed for fixie bikes. That would be cool. The challenge for a system suitable for fixie bikes is that it has to handle back pedaling forces just like the unicycle hub. I wonder if the rumor is true?
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 10:16 PM   #36
florian

Fixie design

John,

yes, we are working on a new clutch design for the bicycle gearing systems mountain-drive, speed-drive and high-speed-drive, that has a symmetrical geometry, which allows to transmit full torque in both direction.
Please notice: the design of the geared unicycle hub just comes with a completely symmetrical design. No difference of the parts, that work in one or the other direction.

Florian
florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 11:55 PM   #37
unisk8r
One Wheel Wander

Each hub still a Swiss jewel in my book!
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 01:09 AM   #38
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian
John,

yes, we are working on a new clutch design for the bicycle gearing systems mountain-drive, speed-drive and high-speed-drive, that has a symmetrical geometry, which allows to transmit full torque in both direction.
Please notice: the design of the geared unicycle hub just comes with a completely symmetrical design. No difference of the parts, that work in one or the other direction.

Florian
Brilliant!
A shiftable fixie.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 03:17 AM   #39
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_childs
Brilliant!
A shiftable fixie.
Which makes it an oxymoron

That would make a good name for the new gear.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2008-04-06 at 03:18 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 05:08 AM   #40
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

YEEEHAWWW! It's BACK!!!

It turns out that what I broke was a part called the planet carrier, which holds the four planet gears in place around the sun gear. Florian said that that part was one that'd never broken in the couple years they tested it, so they slimmed it down to shave a couple grams. As a result of my having been a dimwit and broken my hub, all your hubs will now be slightly heavier, because he beefed back up the whole batch! He took care of me well, and, though I hate to be without my hub for six weeks, it's WAY better having a working hub in May than never having one at all! Thank you Florian! Oh, and he said to me that the planet carrier takes no load when in first gear, so there's absolutely no danger of breaking your hub by backpedaling in 1:1 mode. I AM HAPPY!!!

Right now I have 125/150 doublies on there, but after riding 125, I think 137 will be the happy crank length for me. Either that or 150, but I'm thinking 137. I can't wait to find out!!!!!!!
Old 2008-05-13, 06:16 AM   #41
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckaeronut
As a result of my having been a dimwit and broken my hub, all your hubs will now be slightly heavier, because he beefed back up the whole batch!
Only new hubs, right? Florian is not going to call back all existing hubs?

Quote:
Oh, and he said to me that the planet carrier takes no load when in first gear, so there's absolutely no danger of breaking your hub by backpedaling in 1:1 mode.
Hmm, you never know how people can break things. But it won't be the planet carrier failing.

Quote:
Right now I have 125/150 doublies on there, but after riding 125, I think 137 will be the happy crank length for me. Either that or 150, but I'm thinking 137. I can't wait to find out!!!!!!!
The numbers 1 and 2 in the Dusseldorf marathon (4 May) rode Schlumpf 36s. The winner had 125 mm cranks, and the runner-up had 140 mm cranks. Seems like 137 is kind of the sweet spot!
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 09:36 AM   #42
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

No, I don't think he's calling back existing hubs. (Don't see why he would!) That'd be a no. But if you break your planet carrier the same way I did, I'm totally sure he'll replace it like he did mine.

Agreed that we never know how people can break things... I never know how I break things!

I'm going on my first ride tomorrow morning (i.e. in four hours :-P) with shorter than 165, and it'll be 150. (Just happens to be what I have on right now). Can't wait to get this thing going!

Tags
broke, crap, holy, hub, kh or schlumpf