Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-03-26, 04:41 PM   #31
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni123 View Post
Is your hub square taper?
Yes. As far as I know there are no ISIS freewheel hubs.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 06:25 AM   #32
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Two challenges that I've had with freewheel unicycling are extending coasting runs on rough terrain and having my speed limited by bumpy terrain, particularly on descents. I believe I've found a solution to both of these challenges and it's probably something that should have occurred to me a while ago. I've posted about a pedals level vs. pedals mostly up and down body position. I found the pedals level position requires more balance but is better for absorbing bumps. I was practicing this last weekend riding the same downhill section several times and did something I hadn't done before which was unweight from the saddle going over bumpy terrain on the descent. In fixed wheel unicycling there is a natural tendency to do this. I found I did this naturally going uphill but realized I wasn't doing it riding my freewheel unicycle on level sections or going uphill. I had some success which lead me to later practice coasting on the sidewalk standing up on the pedals. I've considered this in the past simply as a fun trick to practice but hadn't gotten around to it. I was surprised what long coasting runs I could get doing this and found it easier to transition from coasting to pedaling and back when I had some distance from the saddle, probably because I could grip the saddle with my legs. I practiced this on sidewalks and dirt paths for over 27 miles and today practiced for about 10 miles on a trail with rougher terrain and slight elevation. I can get much longer and faster coasting runs on terrain that would have thrown me off my unicycle had I had my weight on the saddle. I can also have long stretches of coasting mixed with pedaling without using the brake. I'm planning to keep practicing this new riding style on various terrains and work up to faster speeds and less use of the brake.
Old 2014-04-05, 01:12 PM   #33
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Thumbs up

Thanks waaalrus for keeping the thread up-to-date with your experiments and progress. It feels like you are getting yourself ready for writting the freewheel unicycle handbook

Anyway, it sounds like a fun challenge reading your reports. Maybe it is more demanding IRL (real testers can comment on that ).
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 04:38 PM   #34
Alucard
Unicyclist

+ 1 with what Siddharta Valmont says
I'm enjoying this thread too.

( Have you seen the video's posted by Chad Hinkle ?. He's unicycling with a friend and he has a freewheel uni )

Last edited by Alucard; 2014-04-05 at 04:40 PM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 02:35 PM   #35
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
Thanks waaalrus for keeping the thread up-to-date with your experiments and progress. It feels like you are getting yourself ready for writting the freewheel unicycle handbook

Anyway, it sounds like a fun challenge reading your reports. Maybe it is more demanding IRL (real testers can comment on that ).
Thanks for the comment! Although it takes me a long time to learn something I like to think I'm a good teacher, especially for people like myself who may not get physical things naturally. I try different things until I find out what works and as much a possible break them down into simpler parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
+ 1 with what Siddharta Valmont says
I'm enjoying this thread too.

( Have you seen the video's posted by Chad Hinkle ?. He's unicycling with a friend and he has a freewheel uni )
Thanks! That's me in Chad's video! I had just switched to a larger rotor so my riding wasn't the best but it was a good snapshot of a freewheel unicycle in the wild, at least of my conservative riding style. Next time I'm going to hop over those tree roots.

Old 2014-04-07, 02:40 PM   #36
Alucard
Unicyclist

Doh
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 03:06 PM   #37
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
Thanks! That's me in Chad's video! I had just switched to a larger rotor so my riding wasn't the best but it was a good snapshot of a freewheel unicycle in the wild, at least of my conservative riding style. Next time I'm going to hop over those tree roots.
I knew there couldn't be two people as crazy as that
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 03:05 PM   #38
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Freewheel Unicycle Jumping Tutorial

I had originally intended the footage I shot for the video below to be part of a video tutorial on freewheel unicycle jumping but not all the video came out. Here's a written writeup of the tutorial in case there's anyone out there who may benefit. Let me know if you have any questions or if any of it is unclear.

In order to practice jumping on a freewheel unicycle I recommend the following skills as prerequisites:
  • Coasting with pedals horizontal and weight off the seat
  • Hopping (as distinguished from jumping)
  • Coasting then hopping at a specified location (it helps to have at least a small bump that you can feel)

1. Location

Find a suitable practice location. Ideally this will be a jump 1-2 feet high with a good amount of curve to the launch and has a contiguous landing. It will help if it’s slightly downhill leading to the launch and the path before and after the jump is reasonably smooth.

2. Rolling Over

Practice riding over the jump by pedaling up to speed and then coasting up and over the jump. You want a sufficient speed to carry you through without forcing you into the air. Extend your legs right before the jump and then compress them as you hit the jump. There will be a balance adjustment as you go from the launch to the landing. Pay attention to this small window of time you have to make the adjustment. Don’t lean forward and watch that your rear foot doesn’t move above horizontal. The unicycle frame should be tilted slightly behind vertical. Get to the point where it feels natural and easy to ride over the jump in this way before moving on to the next step. This step can be a warmup when you’re already proficient at step 3 or may be an essential step when you move to a new jump.

3. Jumping

Once you find it easy to roll over the jump and can make the necessary balance adjustment between the launch and landing section of the jump you simply need to add a small hop at the right time during that adjustment coordinated with a slight pulling up of the front handle. Make sure to maintain the same speed you practiced in step 2. And also like in step 2 don’t lean forward and watch that your rear foot doesn’t move above horizontal. The unicycle frame should be tilted slightly behind vertical. If you’re not making it past the jump you may be starting the hop too early. If you have a series of unsuccessful jumps where you’re not making it past the jump at all try rolling over to remind yourself of the necessary speed and to feel the adjustment window. Once you’re landing 80% of your jumps you can work on (1) pulling up higher with the handle and (2) going over the jump with more speed.

Old 2014-06-03, 03:56 PM   #39
UPD
fail better.

Wow, I'm blown away. Thanks for sharing your awesome knowledge and videos!!

Yesterday, as I was practicing at the park, a guy came up to me and asked if there was a freewheel version..
As far as my knowledge goes, (as of yesterday) I replied, it probably had been tried, but I dont think anybody was successful. Wow, was I wrong..

Last edited by UPD; 2014-06-03 at 04:06 PM.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-09, 02:37 PM   #40
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Freewheel Unicycle Helmet Cam - Hazard Peak 6-8-2014

Chad may be working on a real video, but here's some raw helmet cam footage from a ride we did yesterday on Hazard Peak Trail and Manzanita trail at Montaña De Oro in San Luis Obispo County, California. Most people are not going to want to suffer through this!

Old 2014-06-09, 05:01 PM   #41
Carina
Unicyclist

Your freewheel skills are impressive
Last week I was in a bikepark with my muni for some days and I also took my freewheel with me. I tried an easy trail and had a lot of fun. But it was really hard. And once it gets too fast I'm scared and jump off
Old 2014-06-10, 02:49 PM   #42
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Wow, I'm blown away. Thanks for sharing your awesome knowledge and videos!!

Yesterday, as I was practicing at the park, a guy came up to me and asked if there was a freewheel version..
As far as my knowledge goes, (as of yesterday) I replied, it probably had been tried, but I dont think anybody was successful. Wow, was I wrong..
Thanks for the comment! Riding a freewheel is a proficiency skill just like regular riding on a fixed wheel unicycle. If you practice enough you get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina View Post
Your freewheel skills are impressive
Last week I was in a bikepark with my muni for some days and I also took my freewheel with me. I tried an easy trail and had a lot of fun. But it was really hard. And once it gets too fast I'm scared and jump off
Thanks! Jumping off is good practice! I do that a lot. With time you'll get more comfortable riding at faster speeds. Have you taken any video? It's fun to look back at earlier times to realize how far you've advanced. I put together a list of freewheel unicycle skills I'm going to post as a separate item. I'd be interested if you have anything to add to the list!
Old 2014-06-10, 02:54 PM   #43
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Freewheel Unicycle Skills

Here is a list of freewheel unicycle skills to practice to improve your freewheel unicycle riding on pavement/concrete, trails, and skateparks. Ideally these would be practiced on flat, reasonably smooth terrain.
  1. Static mount.
  2. Coasting with one pedal mostly down. Transitions to and from pedaling with and without a brake. Controlling speed with a brake.
  3. Coasting with pedals level and weight off the saddle. Transitions to and from pedaling with and without a brake. Controlling speed with a brake.
  4. Pedaling over rollers with and without braking on the down side.
  5. Switch stance versions of #2 and #3.
  6. Coasting through turns in both directions (one of which will be switch stance). Coasting berms.
  7. Hopping using the brake.
  8. Coasting then hopping. Hopping at a specified location.
  9. Coasting over rollers.
  10. Jumping.
  11. 180 turns on a bank.
  12. Leg out coasting. Rolling mount.
#2 is my basic, conservative riding style. I revert to this when I’m pedaling around hikers and dogs, or going down a very steep descent.

#3 is a foundational skill which will vastly improve your ability to coast for longer distances, faster speeds, and over rougher terrain. I found that at first I used my upper body for balance, pivoting slightly at the waist and shoulders. Over time I improved my base and was able to balance by pushing the wheel forward and backward slightly, moving up and down from the saddle and moving my upper body as little as possible.

#7-12 are optional but can make for more interesting rides. #7 can get you over terrain you cannot roll through (I myself rarely do this). #8-10 provide the sequence necessary for jumping. #11-12 may be useful in skateparks but I have little experience at this.
Old 2014-06-10, 03:28 PM   #44
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
12. Leg out coasting. #11-12 may be useful in skateparks but I have little experience at this.
I was curious about this - basically doing what the bmx'ers call a hang 5 - they ride on the front wheel only, one foot on a peg, the other waving around for balance. They can do some amazing lines, and it seemed like it would work the same way on a unicycle (except that the free pedal risks getting in the way).

Here's a nice example (that I noticed while looking at the Paul Sergent video posted over in the video forum):
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 03:56 PM   #45
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I was curious about this - basically doing what the bmx'ers call a hang 5 - they ride on the front wheel only, one foot on a peg, the other waving around for balance. They can do some amazing lines, and it seemed like it would work the same way on a unicycle (except that the free pedal risks getting in the way).
At my local skate park I once had a guy ask me to race him round the easy ramps, saying 'don't worry I'll one-wheel it too!' And he hang-5'd the whole way round. I'd never heard of it before then, it looks insane!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, freewheel, freewheeling