Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-11-28, 07:20 PM   #196
HKiviniemi
Unicyclist

Freewheeling seems awesome so far. The feeling you get when your hub starts clicking is really satisfying! And I managed to mount without assistance today. Also remembered how big of a difference free mounting makes to unicycling! I can actually get somewhere with my new contraption now

Here is a video of my fourth free mount: https://youtu.be/7mp4MokgVEc

Last edited by HKiviniemi; 2017-11-28 at 07:21 PM.
HKiviniemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-31, 05:02 PM   #197
waaalrus
Unicyclist

I wanted to post this video here to give me an incentive to work on doing it the "right" way. Hopefully I'll post another version in 6-12 months which shows coasting where I'm pedalling here. https://youtu.be/8M215NhAWRM

Last edited by waaalrus; 2017-12-31 at 05:03 PM.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 02:16 PM   #198
Horst Sergio
Unicyclist

Hi waaalrus,
I am actually waiting for a freewheel hub shipped to Europe . Can't wait to try freewheel kiting.
Have you already posted detail experience with the 1:3,8 hub anywhere? Just have seen the video and would be interested how difficult it was compared and if the hub lasted more than the try in the video.
Horst Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 09:02 PM   #199
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst Sergio View Post
Hi waaalrus,
I am actually waiting for a freewheel hub shipped to Europe . Can't wait to try freewheel kiting.
Have you already posted detail experience with the 1:3,8 hub anywhere? Just have seen the video and would be interested how difficult it was compared and if the hub lasted more than the try in the video.
There's this thread. It works well on flat, smooth terrain but is so highly geared (and cranks are limited to 125mm) it's difficult to pedal with any kind of elevation gain. I still have it and ride it occasionally. I would ride it more if I had a good place to ride it.

I wouldn't think it would be good for freewheel kiting (compared to a regular freewheel hub) because even small feet adjustments would translate into big wheel changes. I've looking into kiting but I don't have a good place to ride. If you have a place to ride and already have the kite skills you're most of the way there! I personally feel a peg unicycle would be better for using with a kite but a freewheel unicycle may be more practical.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 03:11 PM   #200
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Today I did a fun exercise that other beginner freewheelers may also benefit from. I've had som difficulties with the transition from brake-coasting to pedaling. I've also had a tendency to lean too far back for this reason. So today I practiced doing continous pedal motions while brake-coasting. After a while I got better at it, and when I was going from brake-coasting to pedaling my feet was already moving in circles so the transition was much easier. It can now keep the body in the center of balance because I'm not afraid of falling forwards. I still have a long way to go, but I felt it helped me. As I have mentioned earlier, going from 150 to 125 cranks has also helped a lot.
Old 2018-01-21, 10:01 PM   #201
Horst Sergio
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
... I personally feel a peg unicycle would be better for using with a kite but a freewheel unicycle may be more practical.
Thanks for the link. Experience from unicycle kiting is that you profit a lot from the ability to have cranks if you need to pull the kite a bit through a wind hole or upwards a slope if kite power itself is not sufficient. I think gears could become interesting but later.

Anyway, have done my very first experiences with freewheeling these days.

And very happy so far, think it really has potential. I have writen a more detailed report for kiter and unicyclists here:

http://kj4l.com/2018/01/21/first-ever-freewheel-kiting/
Attached Images

Old 2018-01-22, 01:04 AM   #202
AJ KJ
Unicyclist

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Experience from unicycle kiting is that you profit a lot from the ability to have cranks if you need to pull the kite a bit through a wind hole or upwards a slope if kite power itself is not sufficient. I think gears could become interesting but later.

Anyway, have done my very first experiences with freewheeling these days.

And very happy so far, think it really has potential. I have writen a more detailed report for kiter and unicyclists here:

http://kj4l.com/2018/01/21/first-ever-freewheel-kiting/
Fascinating! I noticed in your report you said coasting a couple times, but also mentioned that you were using a hand on the brake. Do you mean that you were brake coasting (using the brake as a substitute for back pressure), or that you were coasting (not losing any speed or using the brake) with a hand on the saddle for control? Either way, it sounds impressive.
Old 2018-01-22, 06:56 PM   #203
Horst Sergio
Unicyclist

Hi AK KJ,
yes I think I was not precise with the wording, if it is the right one, than it was just: "break coasting". Still to early for me to ride completely hands off.
Anyway also for the kite flying it can be pretty important to have sometimes the ability to hold against its force, with the help of the break, so for sure this will be the normal way of riding most of the time.
And as said, I think, for somebody with experience with unicycle and or kites it seems to be not too difficult if conditions are good, as on a beach with constant wind and hard sand.

Hope to come back with a video in the near future.
Old 2018-02-22, 11:47 PM   #204
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
For those not on the Facebook group, I might as well try and update things here as well.

I've just got myself some bars for my freewheel and it seems so far like it might be an improvement.
I've been having some issues with hand pain recently and I don't think that holding a handle and brake lever constantly for miles on end was helping.
The bars and more standard lever setup seems far more comfortable. I've even managed to brake coast for short sections (a meter or two) without taking either hand off the bars which, as primarily a road rider, I'm pretty excited about!

I was concerned that freemounting would be much more difficult, but to my surprise that seems easier as well! Holding the handle with both hands and doing a brake assisted jump mount felt very controlled, even when I was getting a little more tired.

So far I've not managed to coast as far with this setup as before I put the bars on but most of my ride was spent doing adjustments to try and get things to feel right.
I'll report back again once I've had more chance to practice!
Attached Images

Last edited by mowcius; 2018-02-22 at 11:50 PM.
mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 01:44 AM   #205
Horst Sergio
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post
For those not on the Facebook group, I might as well try and update things here as well.
Thank you, is it an open group? Link?

And understand your point with the break. I am also a big friend of first fit everything to body's demands and then start learning. So the first ride I stopped every 100 m to adjust distance of break lever to saddle handle by some mm up and down.
My impression was that helped me a lot to have the right lever position to get a first feeling for break coasting. But I am also still beginner on normal muni, so maybe not an issue for anybody used the break.

Not yet presentable, but very first, short clip of freewheel kiting, again in bad conditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRfs...utu.be&t=0m25s
(kite has just been cut out, as it is still a proto)
Old 2018-02-26, 03:20 PM   #206
mowcius

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Quote:
Thank you, is it an open group? Link?
It is a public group, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/699742363564661/

Quote:
And understand your point with the break. I am also a big friend of first fit everything to body's demands and then start learning. So the first ride I stopped every 100 m to adjust distance of break lever to saddle handle by some mm up and down.
My impression was that helped me a lot to have the right lever position to get a first feeling for break coasting. But I am also still beginner on normal muni, so maybe not an issue for anybody used the break.
I think unicycling like cycling, to get the best out of your cycle, you need it to be set up right for you.
We're obviously limited in ability to try unicycles, we can't normally walk into a shop to try one, and bike shops are clueless on providing advice for their setup.
Until everything *feels* right, it's always a good idea to take a set of tools with you!

Quote:
Not yet presentable, but very first, short clip of freewheel kiting, again in bad conditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRfs...utu.be&t=0m25s
(kite has just been cut out, as it is still a proto)
That's awesome. I've got a friend who also used to build kites and do occasional unicycle kiting. Freewheel kiting looks fantastic!
Old 2018-03-02, 08:28 AM   #207
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Any hub out there with a clutch? The idea is to be able to switch from fixed to freewheel like changing gears on a schlumph, or a hand clutch cabled mechanism.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-03, 01:11 AM   #208
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Amazing and inspring footage of Ben Soja riding some very technical Muni on a freewheel (~ 1:40 - 5:30) !

This came from the AZ Muni Weekend we just had. Thanks to Cody Williams for putting this video together. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLMs...ature=youtu.be
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-27, 09:56 PM   #209
mowcius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Any hub out there with a clutch? The idea is to be able to switch from fixed to freewheel like changing gears on a schlumph, or a hand clutch cabled mechanism.
Sadly not. It would be great though.
Old 2018-04-01, 06:42 PM   #210
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
I'm sure it would be possible to modify a Schlumpf to do that (since it already has a switchable clutch inside) - though it would be a rather expensive way to go, and I suspect having to switch using the buttons might be tricky.

Tags
adventures, freewheel, freewheeling