Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-12-20, 06:13 AM   #1006
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

From videos I know, freewheel unicycling is an impressive feat. I asked my wife to prevent me buying one so I don‘t get irreversibly hurt.
Have fun!!!
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 11:38 AM   #1007
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
From videos I know, freewheel unicycling is an impressive feat. I asked my wife to prevent me buying one so I don‘t get irreversibly hurt.
Have fun!!!
Just tie a pillow to your ass and you're ok
The idea of having to brake to not fall backwards, takes some getting used to. I'm only just learning to use the brake when riding muni or distance.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 07:17 PM   #1008
Vertigo
Unicyclist

I won the "other" category

A local bike website called Bike Happy had a contest to design bike lane people. I couldn't resist the urge to redesign the template into a unicycle and then "dressed" it in my commuting attire.

I won the "other" category with only telling one other person that I'd entered the contest.

The designs will be forwarded to Seattle Department of Transportation in an effort to persuade them to update the bike lane figures around the city. It would be a great honor to actually get a uni lane person painted in Seattle.

Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 12:48 PM   #1009
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Today I too my 24 inch ultimate wheel out for the first time in well over a year. I freemounted successfully the second time and a few minutes later I was able to freemount "hands free". I was riding on uneven concrete with short stretches of slightly bumpy mud and the pedals became very slippery.

I was pleased with how I was doing, but then I bent over to pick up the UW and felt my back twinge so I walked back to the car. (I'm 55, you know!)
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 01:52 PM   #1010
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I won the "other" category with only telling one other person that I'd entered the contest.
Congrats!
That would be awesome to see a uni in the lines!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 06:49 PM   #1011
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Today I too my 24 inch ultimate wheel out for the first time in well over a year. I freemounted successfully the second time and a few minutes later I was able to freemount "hands free".
Terrific! It's great that you've retained the skill.

Quote:
I was pleased with how I was doing, but then I bent over to pick up the UW and felt my back twinge so I walked back to the car. (I'm 55, you know!)
Yes, I learned early on to ignore the kiddies who say "don't try to catch the unicycle." It's a long way down picking it up off the ground when I'm doing it every minute or two, and my back let me know that I'd better catch it as often as I could. I guess that's less of an option with an ultimate wheel though. Hope it's feeling better now.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-25, 10:44 AM   #1012
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Yes, I learned early on to ignore the kiddies who say "don't try to catch the unicycle." It's a long way down picking it up off the ground when I'm doing it every minute or two, and my back let me know that I'd better catch it as often as I could.
I learnt without using a fence at all so I would have been picking up the uni a lot more frequently if I hadn't been catching it.

Now I instinctively catch all my unis unless it is a particularly wild dismount.
Old 2017-12-30, 04:02 PM   #1013
Mikefule

Well, just before Christmas, I got the ultimate wheel out for the first time in over a year and rode it reasonably well until my back went click, then that was it: agony every time I stood up, sat down, stayed still, or moved, until just after Christmas.

Yesterday I was well enough to get the 29er out for a short ride.

Today, taking the bull by the horns, I got the ultimate wheel out again. This time I did a bit of a warm up before riding it, and I took extra care when bending over to pick it up after each dismount.

I freemounted first time and rode about 5 metres. The 2nd time, I rode a substantial distance (exactly 100 pedal strokes) and after that I was measuring my ride by distance rather than pedal strokes - although it was difficult to stop the habit of counting.

I rode over unmade track, through and around puddles, up a short and bumpy hill and down another. It was cold and very windy, fortunately from behind, and I always find that the wind affects my balance, even on a conventional unicycle.

I reached my objective: an area where there is a wide enough patch of rough concrete and rough ground for me to practise circles and figure eights. I also managed a couple of hands-free freemounts.

Low point of the ride was when I tried to transition from uneven but firm ground to sloping wet grass. The wheel stopped dead as it hit the soft grass and I body slammed: both hands, both forearms, both elbows, my sternum and belly, both thighs and both knees hit the ground simultaneously, winding me so badly that it took a few seconds before I was able to get up. It would have been worse but my iPhone cushioned my fall.

Tricky riding with lots of water and mud around, and certainly the hardest that I have done on the UW, although it would be nothing on any of my "proper" unicycles.

The UW is a Nimbus 24.

Last edited by Mikefule; 2017-12-30 at 04:03 PM.
Old 2017-12-30, 10:19 PM   #1014
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Not quite today, but a couple of days ago I hopped up and down steps on my 26er muni. Have only ever tried hopping steps on my 19er before - as suggested in http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120480 I'm now lifting my legs up when I hop. Still a lot of practice to start getting higher jumps, but now solid enough to feel happy on those steps.
Old 2017-12-31, 12:39 PM   #1015
Setonix
Unicyclist

Very good Aracer. Yesterday I went to unicycle club and I demanded of myself to be able to hop on top of something, which would be a good ending of 2017. I had practiced a bit in my living room last week to just hop on the carpet, which I already had a lot of a problem with even though it was only 1 cm higher than the laminate. It is all in my head that I chicken out, but yesterday I finally did it, first on 5cm onto a mat in the gym and then on 10cm also first with the 19" trials uni and I also had the KH26 with me, which worked just as fine. Hop on and then hop off again.

I was very very happy that I finally managed and not just once but a few times. Next time I can finally try outside hopping on kerbs.
Old 2017-12-31, 01:20 PM   #1016
Chimeara
Chimeara

Today i Did my last ride of 2017. It was my longest ride yet at 17.69 miles, giving me a total of 1,136.03 miles since April which is when i managed my very first mile (6 laps of a hospital carpark) The best thing about todays ride was that for the very first time i managed all three short steep hills. I usually manage one of them and sometimes two but the steepest one has always beat me up until today. So happy to be ending the year on a high. Best wishes to everyone for 2018.
For those interested i am on a Nimbus 36" with 125mm Cranks

Regards Phil
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-31, 03:52 PM   #1017
Mikefule

Today I proved empirically that I can ride a KH24 muni on 150mm cranks up a slope faster than I can run up the same slope. That's two body slams in two days.
Old 2018-01-08, 09:41 PM   #1018
Chimeara
Chimeara

Unicycling Backwards

Today, well yesterday i had my best result at unicycling backwards.
My new year resolution is to ride backwards by April. I have practiced for 45mins most days so far this year. I have put a link below that i hope will work of a 17 second clip from my cctv footage.
For anyone else who is trying to learn, i found a great post by Mike Fule from a few years ago that i found a great help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0N4V8el0s

Regards Phil
Old 2018-01-09, 06:56 AM   #1019
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
Today, well yesterday i had my best result at unicycling backwards.
My new year resolution is to ride backwards by April. I have practiced for 45mins most days so far this year. I have put a link below that i hope will work of a 17 second clip from my cctv footage.
For anyone else who is trying to learn, i found a great post by Mike Fule from a few years ago that i found a great help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0N4V8el0s

Regards Phil
That looks very good. how did you start learning? like you do now, ride forward, stop, ride backward, or did you face the wall first and then push off backwards? There are many different ways to start learning it and there aren't many videos on youtube about learning to ride backwards.
Old 2018-01-09, 07:03 AM   #1020
Chimeara
Chimeara

Hi Setonix

Yes pretty much as you see. I started with coming to a stop and pause then carrying on forward, Then progressed to forwards with a half revolution back,
and progressed from there. Strangely i have had a few tries at trying to go backwards without going forward first and i cannot do that but i figure that once i have cracked it in general then variations will come fairly quickly.

Regards Phil

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2