Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-05-14, 07:42 AM   #31
EoinC
EoinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
You seriously just made reading about another mans balls entertaining. I'm not gay. Kudos though.
I'll let the twins know...
EoinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 03:31 PM   #32
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

Several things...BTW: this is a great thread.

I built three air seats in the last four years trying to get that perfect ride. While the concept is sound in theory I find the air bladder tends to squish in all directions instead of supporting just where needed. In other words, the sit bones might be happier but that forces the air pressure to the front of the seat where the manly bits are. Plus, after a few miles my butt still feels like it's getting bed sores.

I tried taking a Nimbus seat apart and cutting a 1" wide groove down the middle, plus an air bladder. While it was an improvement it still wasn't enough.

The best seat I've found is the latest KH Freeride: groove down the middle and lots of koosh. The sit bones do ok but I still get pinching on the sides, which eventually turn into soreness even without pinching.

I don't have as much trouble on a 36" uni as I do on a 24". Methinks it might have to do with the amount of pedaling involved. I'm trying to build up stamina for the 10k on a 24" but the seat has been hampering my progress.

Bouncing at each pedal stroke: when people are first learning on a 20" uni I've noticed they tend to bounce most when their tire is low. After time you learn these subtlties but newbies aren't there yet. Most racers pump their tire to the max (and then some) to get the least resistance, which also helps eliminate the bounce. Unfortunately, it makes for a really rough ride on anything other than a track.
Old 2010-06-07, 09:07 PM   #33
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueharmony View Post
Several things...BTW: this is a great thread.

Bouncing at each pedal stroke: when people are first learning on a 20" uni I've noticed they tend to bounce most when their tire is low. After time you learn these subtlties but newbies aren't there yet. Most racers pump their tire to the max (and then some) to get the least resistance, which also helps eliminate the bounce. Unfortunately, it makes for a really rough ride on anything other than a track.
I have a question about the bouncing thing. I cannot ride fast when on flat ground or going downhill. When I ride with someone else, I'm always the slowest. I don't like the way my rear bounces on the seat when trying to speed up. Is there some trick to this or do you just learn to live with the bounce? It isn't any different when my tire is more inflated or the seat is raised higher.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 12:44 AM   #34
Tom M
Crash-ologist

Send a message via AIM to Tom M Send a message via MSN to Tom M Send a message via Yahoo to Tom M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmer View Post
I have a question about the bouncing thing. I cannot ride fast when on flat ground or going downhill. When I ride with someone else, I'm always the slowest. I don't like the way my rear bounces on the seat when trying to speed up. Is there some trick to this or do you just learn to live with the bounce? It isn't any different when my tire is more inflated or the seat is raised higher.
Something I found was to take a little weight off the seat.. Stand on the pedals a bit more.. Sure it wears you out a bit faster, but you can work on building your endurance.. This is good for bursts of speed..

What length are your cranks? And tire size?
Old 2010-06-08, 12:44 AM   #35
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmer View Post
I cannot ride fast when on flat ground or going downhill. When I ride with someone else, I'm always the slowest. I don't like the way my rear bounces on the seat when trying to speed up. Is there some trick to this or do you just learn to live with the bounce? It isn't any different when my tire is more inflated or the seat is raised higher.
Considering you have a high number of posts on this forum I'm guessing you've been riding for a while, so I'm guessing the bounce isn't from lots of practice. My guess is your bounce is because of two things, which are related:
  1. Supporting yourself mostly by standing on the pedals instead of sitting entirely on the seat.
  2. Pedaling up-and-down instead of in a circle.

Also, shorter cranks will reduce the bounce effect and increase your speed. I'd check your friend's cranks and see if theirs are shorter. If you decide to switch keep in mind it will take a few days to get comfortable with them.

Good luck!
Old 2010-06-09, 05:41 PM   #36
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

I have 150 cranks on my 24 for off road, 125 cranks on the 29 for easy off road and road, 150s on the 36 because I'm not as stable on 125s when I have to compensate for bumps or other irregularities. I prefer the 125s for nice easy riding, but nice easy riding bores me if it's too long.

I try to concentrate on spinning but I'm pretty sure I do a more up and down motion with my pedaling. My friend also ride off road using 150s. In fact he is using my loaner . I can out climb him, but fall far behind when descending . Mostly I ride alone, but it still bugs me that I can't seem to speed up. I am anxiously waiting for my Schlumph so that I can move faster without having to spin so fast.
Old 2010-06-10, 05:41 AM   #37
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Hi MBalmer,

Will you get down to SoCal for a ride sometime?

Regarding bouncing, I find it helps if I relax in the seat and try to use as little pressure on the pedals as possible. That gives me a nice feeling of cruising and reduces the bounce. Crank size is a key factor. I switched to 114's on my 36" from 125's. I can ride both of them smoothly, but the 114's are easier to cruise on. I have more difficulty riding 150's smoothly just because there is so much leg motion. It still helps to relax in the seat and use as little pressure as necessary, but the longer cranks tend to feel more like step-step-step.

It is harder to ride smoothly in muni where there are many more serious hills. Once I get out of the saddle to climb a hill it will not be very smooth.

One skill I learned recently that might help is riding seat-in-front on a 20". It is not hard to pick up (compared with unicycling!) and it gave me a better feel for keeping my weight balanced between the pedals. I should probably practice it some more.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 11:57 PM   #38
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott ttocs View Post
Hi MBalmer,

Will you get down to SoCal for a ride sometime?

Regarding bouncing, I find it helps if I relax in the seat and try to use as little pressure on the pedals as possible. That gives me a nice feeling of cruising and reduces the bounce. Crank size is a key factor. I switched to 114's on my 36" from 125's. I can ride both of them smoothly, but the 114's are easier to cruise on. I have more difficulty riding 150's smoothly just because there is so much leg motion. It still helps to relax in the seat and use as little pressure as necessary, but the longer cranks tend to feel more like step-step-step.

It is harder to ride smoothly in muni where there are many more serious hills. Once I get out of the saddle to climb a hill it will not be very smooth.

One skill I learned recently that might help is riding seat-in-front on a 20". It is not hard to pick up (compared with unicycling!) and it gave me a better feel for keeping my weight balanced between the pedals. I should probably practice it some more.

Scott
I start teaching summer school next week . I do plan to come down some weekend. My son ships out on the 25th of this month. Any weekend should be good after that. Saturday would be my only riding day since I have to be back to work Monday. I really wish I didn't have to teach summer school, but it pays for important toys instead of boring bills.
Old 2010-07-09, 11:08 PM   #39
EoinC
EoinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
You seriously just made reading about another mans balls entertaining. I'm not gay. Kudos though.
I got my new KH seat, and it is a vast improvement over Torkture's Nutcracker Suite / Seat. The twins gave each other a Hi-5 over the investment (I then bought one for my daughter).
The cods are still the limiter on how far I ride - I don't get close to having tired legs before Cod#1 or Cod#2 starts throwing a hissy-fit, but it's a lot better than before.
I think of the money spent on the seats as an investement against the cost of having optical surgery to correct the cross-eyedness brought on by playing Twister with the twins.
Now I just need to convince She-who-must-be-obeyed that I need a 36'er to allow the twins recovery time in the thinner air of the associated higher altitudes. I suspect she may see some flaws in my argument, but it's worth a shot - After all, she's never thought of me as an idiot before.
EoinC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crotch, soreness