Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-09, 10:39 PM   #1
unicycleguy3
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
Question Wanted: Coker Hub

Looking for a Coker 2 Hub after mine sheared off the other day. Coker seems to be out of the unicycle business and UDC said they didn't have a hub that would properly match the Coker. I'm pretty bummed with a perfectly good 36er sitting in my basement and not being able to ride because I can't find a hub for it! Anyone selling an old Coker for parts??
unicycleguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 08:58 PM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P
 
saskatchewanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 6,425
What are your hubs dimensions? I am sure you can mix and match some stuff from UDC to make something that would fit if you come up empty on the used market.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 02:05 AM   #3
lobbybopster
Unicyclist
 
lobbybopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Age: 63
Posts: 377
hub

how about a square taper 100mm schiumpf 2 spd?

Last edited by lobbybopster; 2018-09-12 at 02:07 AM.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 06:47 PM   #4
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!
 
jaco_flans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Québec,Canada
Age: 24
Posts: 3,553
Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
What are your hubs dimensions? I am sure you can mix and match some stuff from UDC to make something that would fit if you come up empty on the used market.
I used to have a 48h Square tapered 125mm hub. Which UDC doesn't have as all their 36ers are on 36h. I remember being a pain because I wanted to switch it to ISIS but my only option was replacing the rim with it, and then finding ISIS bearing in 40mm OD.
__________________
Jakob F.
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 03:37 PM   #5
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'
 
johnfoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Age: 56
Posts: 16,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
What are your hubs dimensions?
What we need is the width between the bearings, measured from the centerline of each bearing. I have a Coker V2 (squid) frame somewhere, but not readily dug up and measured. I guess now it's going to be harder to sell that...
__________________
John Foss
www.unicycling.com

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 04:37 PM   #6
saskatchewanian
ERIC P
 
saskatchewanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 6,425
I'm going to make a guess that Coker was 127mm, only 2mm wider than the Nimbus offerings. The bearings could be spaced out with snap rings if it's an issue. The next problem is the spoke count. You could build with 24 spokes fairly cemetricaly on a 36 hole hub. Possibly not recommended if you are shearing off spindles though.

Come to think of it I might have a 48 hole superwide Coker hub in storage. I'll check on Monday if I have time.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 04:44 PM   #7
JimT
Unicyclist
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
What we need is the width between the bearings, measured from the centerline of each bearing. I have a Coker V2 (squid) frame somewhere, but not readily dug up and measured. I guess now it's going to be harder to sell that...
My Coker bearing spacing measures close to 125mm center to center. The bearings are 40mm OD and 12mm wide.

I see that 48 hole cotterless hubs are available at UDC UK. However the bearing spacing is 100mm. It would not be hard for handy person to change the bearing spacing on the 100mm hub. Simply cut the hub in the center and weld in spacer. A tube/pipe spacer sleeve could be used to make it easy to get the alignment correct.

I also see 48 hole ISIS hubs with 100mm spacing. Then same thing could be done but the frame bearing holders would have to be machined out from 40mm to 42mm diameter.

Where the is a will there is a way.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 04:50 PM   #8
JimT
Unicyclist
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I'm going to make a guess that Coker was 127mm, only 2mm wider than the Nimbus offerings. The bearings could be spaced out with snap rings if it's an issue. The next problem is the spoke count. You could build with 24 spokes fairly cemetricaly on a 36 hole hub. Possibly not recommended if you are shearing off spindles though.

Come to think of it I might have a 48 hole superwide Coker hub in storage. I'll check on Monday if I have time.
You are likely correct about the 127mm bearing spacing. Without tearing the thing apart to get an exact distance, I was measuring a little over 125mm on my Coker. I'd guess that if a 125mm spacing hub could be found, that would be close enough.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 08:32 PM   #9
jtrops
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Age: 50
Posts: 2,283
I remember Josh from UDC telling me once that Qu-Ax made the Coker hub and rim. It's possible that Goudurix might have a hub if you call them.
__________________
"A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 09:43 PM   #10
unicycleguy3
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
I've ridden for about 10 years but I'm not what you call handy --when things break I've always had to buy new. Looks like I've got a lot to learn in uni construction! Gonna get a hold of Goudurix next week -- they have a $50 hub that looks promising--would need some new ISIS cranks but that can be done. If anyone has a used one though I'm not to good to buy something second hand. Appreciate the thoughts and ideas everyone!
unicycleguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 07:08 PM   #11
jtrops
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Age: 50
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleguy3 View Post
I've ridden for about 10 years but I'm not what you call handy --when things break I've always had to buy new. Looks like I've got a lot to learn in uni construction! Gonna get a hold of Goudurix next week -- they have a $50 hub that looks promising--would need some new ISIS cranks but that can be done. If anyone has a used one though I'm not to good to buy something second hand. Appreciate the thoughts and ideas everyone!
Definitely call them, and ask if the have an extra wide square taper 48 hole hub. I have gotten lucky on a couple of occasions finding things that weren't listed on the site.
__________________
"A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coker, hub, wanted


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coker freewheel hub on a uni. jona General Unicycling Discussions 47 2013-08-04 10:03 AM
Wanted: 24" Muni parts (UK) 36 hole isis hub .etc Mtb.Marroon Trading Post 2 2011-07-04 02:47 PM
[For Sale: North America] Coker 48 hole hub (Big One) davidp Trading Post 5 2011-03-11 05:50 PM
[WANTED] - Coker or Coker parts Chexjc Trading Post 12 2008-04-11 02:44 AM
USA: Wanted: Used Coker (or Coker parts) (NYC) BillyTheMountain Trading Post 17 2007-04-03 07:54 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
Page generated in 0.32011 seconds with 12 queries