Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-14, 02:34 AM   #16
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

There were some photos posted recently of one of our contributors walking their dog while riding a giraffe.
Old 2019-12-14, 09:20 AM   #17
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
There were some photos posted recently of one of our contributors walking their dog while riding a giraffe.
One of them was posted on fb in September and is on my candidates list since then.

I'm still pondering if 'walking' their dog is the right word here.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-14, 03:43 PM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
I dislike how this site has maximum photo sizes.....
Couple of reasons for that. The one that's most noticeable for us users, is that if someone posts a photo at the full size from his camera, for example, it blows out the page width of that whole page in the thread, and you have to scroll around the image to actually see it. The other reason is bandwidth; on threads like these with lots of pictures, giant images can really slow things down.

For Klaas, the idea is to send your full-res images directly to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
But uhm I kinda got stuck at the photo in the calendar from March 2019 with the 2 girls with red dresses on the freestyle unis. I really like it. Maybe I should hang it on its own...
If you'd like a full-sized digital copy I can arrange that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
I'm still pondering if 'walking' their dog is the right word here.
The dog is walking, right?

I've got a selection of pictures pulled for 2019; I just have to clean them up. Looks like I pulled 35 or so, but those will be culled before I send them out...

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-14, 04:20 PM   #19
Klaas Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
For Klaas, the idea is to send your full-res images directly to him.
This is at a later stage. For now, post images just in this thread so all of us can enjoy them. (See the first sentence of my original post.) For that purpose, and also for selecting calendar pictures the 800 px size limit is good enough. I will contact owners of the selected pictures for a full-res version.
Tholub usually (also now, post #5 in this thread) conveniently posts a 800 px picture, and links it to the appropriate flickr album where a high resolution version can be downloaded. Best of all worlds.

Quote:
The dog is walking, right?
Oh well, maybe the dog is walking Leo, but Leo would be 'riding' the dog. Somehow that doesn't sound right though.

Quote:
I've got a selection of pictures pulled for 2019; I just have to clean them up. Looks like I pulled 35 or so, but those will be culled before I send them out...
Patiently awaiting your pulling and culling process...
Old 2019-12-14, 10:45 PM   #20
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Okay, I've got 31 contenders. I will reproduce some in this thread, but you can see them all here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h6abt0g52...wIm2BHWAa?dl=0

Each filename starts with a 2-digit number. Here are the captions by number:
01: Ironic sign outside a bike shop in Folsom, CA
02 - 05: California Winter Muni at Rockville Hills Park, January 27
02: Jason Little, Ashley Foster, Tom Holub and Bevan Gerber-Siff
03: Ashley Foster heading down a wonderful switchback with gnarly corners
04: Jason Little, creator of the Sacramento Unicycle Club/Meetup group
05: John Foss with some colorful manzanita
06: That's a map of Folsom, California bike paths. Those are all bike paths or bike lanes!
07: Another funny sign, this one along the American River Bike Path, in Folsom. That's not a road either.
08 and 09: Culvert Trail, Auburn, CA. This was the first ride at the world's first Muni Weekend, in 1996. An older picture of this same spot is in the Kris Holm book, on page 167. If you compare to the book, you'll see the trail is completely different now.
10: 45" Big Wheel and Jump bikes, downtown Sacramento
11: This is not far from my house. I believe that sign is there because somebody recently drove through that fence, which is at a T intersection. You can see some of the old fence in the background. I tried to make my unicycle look drunk...
12: I think they're trying to tell us something...
13: John Foss riding on a disused railroad track near the El Dorado Bike Trail, in El Dorado County, CA (photo taken by Ashley Foster with John's camera)
14 and 15: A quilt made from Beau Hoover's unicycling T-shirts. Lots of great memories there!
16: Time to re-up this sticker on my car! The California sun will destroy everything, in time.
17: 36er On The Rocks. This is next to a bike path in El Dorado Hills, CA
18: Salmon Falls Trail, El Dorado Hills, CA. This was the second day's ride at the first-ever Muni Weekend.
19 - 21: Cyclocross racing at the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, Colorado (makers of Fat Tire Pale Ale). This was the first competition event of NAUCC (the North American Unicycling Convention and Championships).
19: Starters in the Unlimited class, which is wheels over 29" or geared unicycles
20: Richard Tharett of the Redford Township Unicycle Club, bouncing over the couch obstacle, on his way to winning that category
21: Cyclocross riders come in many sizes! (names can be figured out if needed)
23 - 30: X-Style competition at NAUCC. I think my favorite ones are 26 and 28
31: Irene Genelin passing through the finish line in the Downhill race
32: Sorting through unicycles and parts from the John Hooten collection; more than 25 years of accumulation while he taught the Boy Scouts of Troop 121 (now known in the unicycling world as Troopizi). He passed away suddenly in 2018 and I try to help carry on his legacy.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-12-14 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2019-12-15, 01:24 AM   #21
BruceC
Unicyclist

Amazing collection of photos, thank you for sharing. You inspired me to browse through some photos on my phone.

Name:  West Head Fog 1a.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  210.4 KB
Name:  DSC_3820.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  217.7 KB
Name:  DSC_3769.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  171.9 KB
Name:  DSC_3748.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  195.9 KB
Name:  DSC_3547.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  147.7 KB
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 08:41 AM   #22
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

as usual...

...to many pics, to lazy to choose:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fPRFqddN2fjtG7ZK9

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 08:47 AM   #23
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Here it is from the Your Latest Ride thread.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...ostcount=10777
Old 2019-12-15, 04:19 PM   #24
Klaas Bil

Quote:
Each filename starts with a 2-digit number. Here are the captions by number
The numbers and pictures don't match. For most, I can figure out what you mean. But for your favourites in the X-style, are they the two that you copied in your post?
Old 2019-12-15, 06:36 PM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
...to many pics, to lazy to choose:
As usual, spectacular! Mine pale by comparison. I hope to make it this year's running by having something different from anybody else, perhaps.
Quote:
Here it is from the Your Latest Ride thread.
Wow, not just any giraffe, looks like it's over 6'! I would caption that photo: "I think I need a longer leash, or a taller dog"
Quote:
The numbers and pictures don't match.
The numbers correspond to the set of pictures at the Dropbox link; you should be able to see the filenames. And yes on the X-style pictures.

Old 2019-12-15, 07:07 PM   #26
Klaas Bil

Quote:
The numbers correspond to the set of pictures at the Dropbox link; you should be able to see the filenames.
Example: your caption list says:
"10: 45" Big Wheel and Jump bikes, downtown Sacramento", but I think this is meant to refer to the picture of which the Dropbox name starts with "11".
Also, there are 31 pictures in the Dropbox folder, but 32 captions - and so a 1 to 1 correspondence is not possible.
Old 2019-12-15, 10:57 PM   #27
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Also, there are 31 pictures in the Dropbox folder, but 32 captions - and so a 1 to 1 correspondence is not possible.
BLAHT! I have to post a fixed list, but can't do right now. For the moment, note that #6 got missed in my captions, and is possibly the thing making everything else off by one? I'll have to check...

Old 2019-12-15, 11:13 PM   #28
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

CORRECTED LIST, to go with John Foss photos above. Also note that the remainder of the filename gives the date and time the photo was taken.

Full set here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h6abt0g52...wIm2BHWAa?dl=0

Each filename starts with a 2-digit number. Here are the captions by number:
01: Ironic sign outside a bike shop in Folsom, CA
02 - 05: California Winter Muni at Rockville Hills Park, January 27
02: Jason Little, Ashley Foster, Tom Holub and Bevan Gerber-Siff
03: Ashley Foster heading down a wonderful switchback with gnarly corners
04: Jason Little, creator of the Sacramento Unicycle Club/Meetup group
05: John Foss with some colorful manzanita
06: This is what the California sun does to bumperstickers in a year or two. Time to clean them off and put on some new ones!
07: That's a map of Folsom, California bike paths. Those are all bike paths or bike lanes! Also it's hard not to get mixed up on the Humbug/Willow Creek trails...
08: Another funny sign, this one along the American River Bike Path, in Folsom. That's the bike path, BTW, not a road.
09 and 10: Culvert Trail, Auburn, CA. This trail was part of the first ride at the world's first Muni Weekend, in 1996. An older picture of this same spot is in the Kris Holm book, on page 167. If you compare to the book, you'll see the trail is completely different now.
11: 45" Big Wheel and Jump bikes, downtown Sacramento
12: This is not far from my house. I believe that sign is there because somebody recently drove through that fence, which is at a T intersection. You can see some of the old fence in the background. I tried to make my unicycle look drunk...
13: Up the road from the previous picture -- I think they're trying to tell us something...
14: John Foss riding on a disused railroad track near the El Dorado Bike Trail, in El Dorado County, CA (photo taken by Ashley Foster with John's camera)
15 and 16: A quilt made from Beau Hoover's unicycling T-shirts. Lots of great memories there, and these two don't show them all!
17: 36er On The Rocks. This is next to a bike path in El Dorado Hills, CA
18: Salmon Falls Trail, El Dorado Hills, CA. This was the second day's ride at the first-ever Muni Weekend.
19 - 21: Cyclocross racing at the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, Colorado (makers of Fat Tire Pale Ale). This was the first competition event of NAUCC (the North American Unicycling Convention and Championships).
19: Start of the Unlimited class race; wheels over 29" or geared unicycles
20: Richard Tharett of the Redford Township Unicycle Club, leaping over the couch obstacle, on his way to winning that category
21: Cyclocross riders come in many sizes! (names can be figured out if needed)
22 - 29: X-Style competition at NAUCC. I think my favorite ones are 26 and 27
30: Irene Genelin passing through the finish line in the Downhill race
31: Sorting through unicycles and parts from the John Hooten collection; more than 25 years of accumulation while he taught the Boy Scouts of Troop 121 (now known in the unicycling world as Troopizi). He passed away suddenly in 2018 and I try to help carry on his legacy.

Sorry about the mess.

Old 2019-12-15, 11:40 PM   #29
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Sounds like you meant me, but otherwise from the replies I'll take it as a nice compliment to be mentioned in this thread.

This was taken during practice:

This was taken while having time left during recordings, and just shooting unplanned extra footage:

I'd assume the 2nd one will be in favor. It was shot in the provence Zeeland,
so has the elements sea, land and air/wind in a super-coincidence non-arranged composition of strong lines.

The video can be found on Vimeo here.
The YouTube post triggered a keyword alert at a local journalist, resulting in an interview (in Dutch).
The dog's website is at alila.dog, and her instagram is @alila.dog (both have nice non-unicycle dog-pics - IMHO).
The picture (and video) can be downloaded at https://unicycle.show/stuff/zeelandbrug/

Quote:
Wow, not just any giraffe, looks like it's over 6'! I would caption that photo: "I think I need a longer leash, or a taller dog"
Close to 220 cm, so about 7⅓' - on top of the bridge that was scary, yes. But I expected it worse with trucks passing with 80 km/h on just centimeters divided.
And nowhere support for mounting, so I was depending on the drone-pilot and my driver.

Anyway, my picks from previous posted pictures - trying to balance the different unicycle diciplines for as far as possible.

Yes, only for the jerseys it's a valid nomination:

Don't take the arm-pit version / use the one with more face:

From Turtle:
+1 866 UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-17, 05:54 PM   #30
Becky98
Becky die Bergziege

This year I went on a sailing trip from Scotland to Northern Ireland with Jogi and Elke (from Ride Triton). Of course we didn´t just stayed on the boot we also discovered the mountains on the island with our munis. This picture was taken above the Gulf of Corryvreckan on Scarba, where you can view the strong tidal race for that this Gulf is famous for.
Attached Images

Becky98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, calendar, pictures, unicycling, world