Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-08-10, 10:30 PM   #16
midgetmiles
Unicyclist

Hey Terry, did you perchance try any seat-out riding with the Stadium? If so, is it an easier transition than the older style saddles, or about the same? I've got one ordered, so I'll know soon enough, but It's good to get more perspective.

- Custom KH24 (80's paint job )
- Torker LX 20"
- Freewheel 26"
- Nimbus 26" Muni -
midgetmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 10:58 PM   #17
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmiles View Post
Hey Terry, did you perchance try any seat-out riding with the Stadium? If so, is it an easier transition than the older style saddles, or about the same? I've got one ordered, so I'll know soon enough, but It's good to get more perspective.
Didn't try seat out but I would imagine it's easier to get it out front (or "sib") since there's less curve.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 05:58 PM   #18
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Terry, will this saddle replace the one you're using for road rides?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 08:14 PM   #19
Twente Muni
Tom

We have a winner!

I rode with the Nimbus Stadium today, some road and xc on my 26" guni.
The saddle is very comfortable, it is the only saddle that I do not experience numbness on. It is better then my fusion zero (a bit hard on the sitbones) and my flattened fusion freeride (too soft).

The Stadium is quite firm, a little softer then the fusion zero. Just good enough for my sitbones.
But most important for me: no numbness anymore, which was a big problem with all my other saddles including the zero and freeride.
The shape and the relieve channel work for me.

Also the Stadium is narrow in the middle and front, which improves pedaling, and reduces shaffing.
I tilted the nose up, so I slide to the wider part of the saddle.

Very happy with it
26" KH Guni, 2.25" Rocket Ron, zero, T bar
Twente Muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 10:59 PM   #20
Dunny
Unicyclist

I have been riding the Stadium for a week now. It has a small sweet spot where its comfortable and adjusting the saddle angle is more critical than on a regular seat. Also the sweet spot is much smaller than a regular seat and you have to learn to stay in it. Riding on smooth pavement it's not an issue but for muni, I kept falling out of the sweet spot and had to waste energy getting back to the correct position. I can see why a lot of reviewers said that you need a T-bar handle with the flat type seats for muni.

You really need padded riding shorts with this seat as it's very firm. I think it's a great seat for street riding where it's easy to stay in the correct position. For muni, I prefer the old technology seats. With a T-bar on a muni, it's probably just fine.

The seat is really well made and stiff. My only knock on it was that the steel in the allen bolts which hold it to the seat post was a little soft and you could round the heads out if you adjust the saddle a lot.
Dunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 05:08 PM   #21
pierrox
Unicyclist

You sold it already?

I agree that the bolts are a bit on the loose end and you really want to use a good wrench to avoid rounding them.

As far as riding goes, I haven't had much time on mine to have a strong opinion. But so far so good - it's currently on a "naked" (no handle bars, no brakes, ultra light) road 29".
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 10:55 AM   #22
Moslki
Unicyclist

Just got my new Stadium saddle yesterday.. I went for a Muni ride with my also newly arrived 24" Muni.. I have to say that so far I am loving it and I am seriously considering to get one for my 26 Muni. I am using it wihout any handle bars. It feels narrow and light with loads of room to shift about (you don't feel stuck onto the seat like you do in a standard banana type saddle). Not issues about the foam feeling too firm or too soft. It just feels right to me as it is. Maybe it is because I am already used to a flat saddles (got the Zero on my 36).

Untill now I have only ridden Muni with the banana shaped saddle (Nimbus gel, and standard Quax) and I have to say this saddle is a huge improvement. As it is mentioned somewhere the Stadium is quite flat but it seems to have enough shape to hold you in place when you are not holding onto anything.. I don't do much long distance when doing Muni so don't know how it feels when sitting on it uninterrupted for long periods of time (I think all saddles are going to feel unconfortable on a non-stop long ride regardless of the shape).

I think this saddle is fantastic and in my opinion it is an improvement from the nimbus gel saddle. I have used it on a standard seat post and, unlike the Zero, I didn't feel it needed an 'angle adjustable seatpost' or anything..
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-01, 06:58 AM   #23
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Have the stadium on a Muni for some weeks now. Coming from a KH Street saddle. The street felt fine, however after some time of riding I felt numbness. First rides with the stadium where quite though as it felt so hard. I decided to give the saddle and my backside (more important) some time. Now after several rides it feels really fine and I got used to it. No more numbness as I sit on my sitbones, like on a bike.

Of course a saddle is a very individual thing, however if you are not used to a modern, hard, flatish saddle like the KH Zero or One already, my recommendation is to give it some time when trying.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-01, 02:08 PM   #24
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Didn't try seat out but I would imagine it's easier to get it out front (or "sib") since there's less curve.
I find the Stadium saddle to be considerably easier to get out for seat in front and seat drag tricks.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 09:53 PM   #25
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

I like this saddle. I've given mine a few rides, and so far it's my favorite non-customized saddle.

I'm coming from a bicycle background, so I'm used to sitting for hours on a firm seat, and always wear bike shorts. My favorite saddle is a semi-flattened KH freeride that I made; the Nimbus saddle has about the same curve.

I'm using an adjustable KH seatpost with the seat tilted back far enough that the back of the saddle is level.

The seat is very firm, maybe a little too firm for my taste; riding over bumps can be pretty painful. It actually has more padding than a typical bicycle saddle, but bicycle saddle bases are pretty flexible and mounted on flexible rails. The Nimbus base is pretty stiff, and my weight sits right over the seatpost, so the base can't really flex under my weight at all.

The handle is a little longer and thinner than previous generations; it's pretty flexible. Most of the flex I feel when I'm pulling up on the handle is the handle itself bending, not the saddle. The extra length and the hole on top make it a little more convenient for resting some of my weight on it. But I had to move my brake forward on the brake mount, and it doesn't fit quite as well in the new position. I might swap an older type handle in instead.

I would agree with folks who complained about the bolts. The bolt holes seem to be a little larger than normal, and my allen keys want to slip.

Overall I would rate it about equal to my customized KH Freeride, but getting that one right was a big pain in the neck. This one is fine as is.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 11:31 PM   #26
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Just a followup to my review:

- after putting some riding time in, the saddle has gotten *very* creaky. Pretty much anything I do, it makes a noise - every pedal stroke, seated or standing (when standing, it's from the alternating sideways pressure as it leans into first one leg, then the other), every bump, every weight shift.

Anybody else have this?

I haven't taken it apart, so I don't know what the saddle's internals look like. Is there a reinforcement plate that might be shifting around? Or something broken?
Old 2016-10-03, 11:50 PM   #27
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Just a followup to my review:

- after putting some riding time in, the saddle has gotten *very* creaky. Pretty much anything I do, it makes a noise - every pedal stroke, seated or standing (when standing, it's from the alternating sideways pressure as it leans into first one leg, then the other), every bump, every weight shift.

Anybody else have this?

I haven't taken it apart, so I don't know what the saddle's internals look like. Is there a reinforcement plate that might be shifting around? Or something broken?
No reinforcement plate. Glass filled nylon only, but a separate plate is or should be available in the near future. I haven't experienced any creaks or squeaks coming from my stadium saddle, but in your case it could be something else. Have you checked the seatpost bracket bolts or maybe even the cranks or hub? If everything else has been ruled out, I would call UDC and tell them about it, and see if they will replace it.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 10:16 AM   #28
Moslki
Unicyclist

I've got mine a few weeks ago and everything is ok so far. During my second ride with the new sadle I was getting some repetitive noise which I thought it came from around the saddle/post combo: I was wrong (the bearing holders were a bit loose and were causing the noise).
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 01:18 PM   #29
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

It's not the saddle; you folks called it. I had already tried a seatpost swap, no help. But just now I moved the saddle to a different uni, and the noise didn't move with it, so there must be something else going on.

I still don't know what's wrong, but the Stadium saddle is fine.
Old 2016-10-26, 11:29 AM   #30
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I'm using an adjustable KH seatpost with the seat tilted back far enough that the back of the saddle is level.
One more followup on this: I broke the KH seatpost (top of the post came free where it's pinned/bonded) and I can't tilt the saddle back far enough using a standard seatpost for it to be comfortable for me.

The 27.2 KH seatposts are a stronger one piece construction, but the 25.4 which I need are still the two piece pinned and bonded design, so I don't want to get another.

I ended up making a wedge-shaped shim to fit between a standard seatpost and saddle, to tilt the saddle back some more.

I probably would have given the saddle a worse review if I hadn't had that adjustable KH post lying around; I wouldn't have bothered trying tilting the saddle back beyond what a standard post permits, and would never had found a comfortable position.

Tags
nimbus, review, saddle, stadium, video