Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-06-24, 06:12 PM   #16
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yep the TA is rated to only 32 PSI, but I run mine at 60 and it hasn't exploded yet Not sure how well that'd work with the newer one.

I should note that I'm not 100% sure those widths are accurate either. After riding alongside lots of people this week, I noticed the Nightrider tyre was quite a lot wider than my TA. That might be a product of the Stealth2 rim being slightly wider though, causing the tyre to widen a bit? Not sure.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 08:25 PM   #17
UPD
fail better.

Since we are comparing the two why not toss in the Todd/Vee Rubber too? Wasnt it for a little while the Todd claims to be the lightest?
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 09:52 PM   #18
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

3.5 pounds.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 12:25 AM   #19
UPD
fail better.

Sorry for the quick jack thread PM. Since the TA is not available in the States, if you only had one tire for rides on road and offroad, which would it be, the Todd or the Nightrider? , and are the equally quiet on the road?
Old 2015-06-25, 12:36 AM   #20
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Nightrider. Lasts a long time, relatively light, and le$$.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-06-25 at 12:49 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 01:33 AM   #21
UPD
fail better.

Whoa, I found out my Coker offroad weighs in at a whopping 5lb 4oz, thats a heavy 2381 grams! Darn, my 36er needs to go on a a major diet! Myself included, too many parties and unavoidable good food lately! : )
Old 2016-01-08, 11:48 AM   #22
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

What's up with this new lightweight TA tire?
Did someone try it?
Where to buy it (In Europe in my case), which unicycle dealers have it in stock?

The fist time I mounted my second hand old Qu-ax just after having bought it, I felt a tremendous feeling, it was on a parking, with 145 cranks, and the tyre was low inflated, under 30 PSI
This is how was the 36er was when I bought it (excepted I put 125 on it):

The thing is because of the total wheel weight (tyre was about 2100gm and the 36"tube was about 600gm) and the 32PSI max recommended pressure, I was nearly unable to freemount and ride it with shorter cranks than 145, it was hard on 137, and impossible with 125.
I tried once or twice to inflate it more, it helped but I had a flat.
I still don't know why, but my TA tyre is a 2PLY instead of 4PLY.

Then I mounted a 1690gm nightrider tyre and a FOSS tube, thus the wheel was 840gm lighter and I was able to inflate it to 65PSI without issue since it is the max recommended pressure.
I inflated it at different pressures, and what worked better was obviously 65PSI.
Easier to mount, easier to run, even with 125 cranks.
But it's a rock, I have no tyre flexibility.
I never felt the feeling I had in the first place again.
At around 30PSI, maybe because the rim is very narrow, I loose much control.
Even at 30 PSI I don't feel what I felt with the TA in therm of flexibility/bouncing

The other thing I don't like with the nightrider is the noise it produces on road, but it's a detail.
Tt is a good tyre though, and much lighter than the old TA.

So, since I dismounted my 36er to true the wheel (still in progress), I'm thinking about returning to a TA (only thinking about for now) in the lighter version but I'd like to have testimony on this new version and where to buy it.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 12:24 PM   #23
Moslki
Unicyclist

Hi there

I run the knightrider tyre in my Oracle 36 and it is great (never tried the TA). I tend to have the tyre pressure in the low end of the spectrum and have not issues when riding/mounting it. The lowish tyre pressure is certaintly handy for bumpy/rough roads/surfaces etc..I tried to inflate it at the high end pressure but my tyre has quite a few cracks on the sides (don't think is normal, must be a bit damaged/old) and because they get much bigger with the increase pressure I worry the tyre might actually burst
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 08:48 PM   #24
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

The Oracle is one of those 36er I would like to buy when I will have experience enough on my qu-ax.

Anyway, the answer of one of my questions was in the very beginning of this thread : Roger has got this light version of the TA tyre.
Will think about it.

I still would like to know how it feels compared to the louder one.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 07:00 PM   #25
monocyclism
Unicyclist

I have an older version, but unused, TA tyre that I never really felt like using because I preferred a ride pressure of 55psi, so always stuck to Nightrider. Can anyone give feedback on inflating the TA to this higher pressure given even the new one is rated at 32psi max.

I see many riders are inflating over the recommended pressure and one scenario I have visions of with the TA is the beading might push off the rim. Surely if it’s designed to run 32psi max anything appreciatively above that is taking a risk of some sort – or am I wrong!
Old 2016-01-10, 07:52 PM   #26
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post
I have an older version, but unused, TA tyre that I never really felt like using because I preferred a ride pressure of 55psi, so always stuck to Nightrider. Can anyone give feedback on inflating the TA to this higher pressure given even the new one is rated at 32psi max.

I see many riders are inflating over the recommended pressure and one scenario I have visions of with the TA is the beading might push off the rim. Surely if it’s designed to run 32psi max anything appreciatively above that is taking a risk of some sort – or am I wrong!
Of course anything I say will not endorse going against what's imprinted on the tire, but I never had a problem running it at 50psi on the Coker aluminum rim. Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. I did have one problem. It didn't ride very well. I thought that it was too harsh, and I felt every little vibration and bump on the road. To be honest I really liked the way my TA performed. The only tire I could compare it with was my Button tread tire that it replaced. I never rode a Nightrider tire, and after seeing how the weights compared to my TA I never felt the need to.

Fwiw, I also run my 25c tires on my road bike at 75psi/front, 95psi/rear. Much better ride than the 120psi on the sidewall. Also, believe it or not, faster riding with lower rolling resistance. For very heavy riders it would make sense to have a tire that inflates higher, but that's nothing I need to worry about at 150lbs.
Old 2016-01-10, 08:11 PM   #27
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
Of course anything I say will not endorse going against what's imprinted on the tire.........
Thanks for the imformative reply! I will certainly try my TA again!
Old 2016-01-10, 09:34 PM   #28
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post

I've been riding mine at about 55psi (give-take) since I got it (A bit over a year ago) - 32psi felt like I was riding in mud. I used a stock 36er rubber tube in it for a bit, and have switched over to both tubeless (Which lasted about 2 days) and a FOSS tube, all without the tyre exploding or anything.

I'm using the Qu-Ax 36er Marathon rim (The 48-spoke one - I understand the new QX Disk 36ers have 36 spokes but I'm not sure if the rim is different except the drilling) - YMMV on a Nimbus rim!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 03:14 AM   #29
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Does anyone know if they will be selling the lightweight TA tire in the states?
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 04:27 PM   #30
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
I've been riding mine at about 55psi (give-take) since I got it (A bit over a year ago) - 32psi felt like I was riding in mud. I used a stock 36er rubber tube in it for a bit, and have switched over to both tubeless (Which lasted about 2 days) and a FOSS tube, all without the tyre exploding or anything.
Thanks for your informative post. I have tried riding a TA but never considered inflating it to my prefered pressure of 55psi as with the Nightrider. Now looking forward to fitting the TA at a higher pressure as I do like the ride to be hard and responsive. We shall see!

Tags
36er, lightweight, tyre