Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-06-23, 04:15 PM   #1
munimag
Unicyclist

RTL: Ranking for non-geared teams

Has anyone done a ranking of the final standings for non-geared teams?
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 02:26 AM   #2
munimag
Unicyclist

Does anyone know how many teams that finished in the top 10 had a geared hub?
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 02:39 AM   #3
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

As far as I know, Lost Wheelers were the only team in the top 10 (coming in 7th) without a geared hub.

Only two riders in the top 10 of the Time Trial rode without a geared hub (Tue Johanson and myself)

Most teams had at least one geared hub, but mostly two.

We had one geared 29" Schlumpf on Team NZUNI, but probably used it for about 1/4 of RTL.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 11:38 AM   #4
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDuck
We had one geared 29" Schlumpf on Team NZUNI, but probably used it for about 1/4 of RTL.
Only a 1/4? I don't know, dude. I only saw Tony riding the coker once. Maybe I missed some of his cokering.

That time I saw was when you and Will stopped at the bottom of a fairly steep hill, held up the coker, and Tony (seamlessly, I may add) hopped of the guni,, hopped on the coker, and pedalled to the top of the hill. At which point, you all did the reverse from coker to guni. I swear Tony's body kept a constant forward speed during the whole process. It was beautiful.

I was trying to hang with Tony at the time, and, though I thought "heh heh, this is my chance!", I didn't seem to close the gap during the coker/guni/coker switcharoo.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 02:17 PM   #5
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
Only a 1/4? I don't know, dude. I only saw Tony riding the coker once. Maybe I missed some of his cokering.
I think he meant that the team used the schlumpf for 1/4 the race, which would be 25% of the total racing time, and if the days were divided about equally, it would mean that Tony used his 36 about 8% of the total NZ time.

I used my 36 once the entire race, and that was on the ridge of the last mountain on the first stage (parker mountain or something?) because my knee was killing me, but I think using the 36 just made it worse.

To answer Claude's question though...

I do not know all of the ungeared teams, but if you only include the ungeared teams, I think that you all (team venture) finished 5th with Lost wheelers, UFO, Manly Legs, and Atlas ahead of you. Lost wheelers were the only team in the top 10 that was ungeared. Tue is a beast!

Last edited by siafirede; 2008-06-25 at 02:19 PM.
siafirede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 03:36 PM   #6
mscalisi
Unicyclist

They were incredible. We were doing battle with them all week. I remember having one particularaly good run where I rode 10k averaging over 16mph. As soon as I starting thinking that I must be putting time into the Lost Wheelers, Tue comes out of nowhere and passes me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siafirede
Lost wheelers were the only team in the top 10 that was ungeared. Tue is a beast!
Old 2008-06-25, 04:14 PM   #7
unicyclist.ca
Coming soon...

I am not sure but I think it was

1. Lost Wheelers
2. UFO
3. ??? us maybe (manly legs)

Yellow line fever was ungeared until the last day when they decided to blow us out of the water.
Old 2008-06-25, 08:22 PM   #8
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo

That time I saw was when you and Will stopped at the bottom of a fairly steep hill, held up the coker, and Tony (seamlessly, I may add) hopped of the guni,, hopped on the coker, and pedalled to the top of the hill. At which point, you all did the reverse from coker to guni. I swear Tony's body kept a constant forward speed during the whole process. It was beautiful.

I was trying to hang with Tony at the time, and, though I thought "heh heh, this is my chance!", I didn't seem to close the gap during the coker/guni/coker switcharoo.
What James said.

Tony spent most of RTL on my Schlumpf, particularly in the latter part of the race (Stage 4 and 5), which were particularly suited for the Schlumpf. But Will and I both rode fixies.

He rode quite a bit of Stage 1 and 2 on his Coker.

Tony did a pretty good job with the Coker to GUni transitions.

I would have loved to ride my Schlumpf during RTL, but Tony was having such a good run on it and I couldn't be bothered switching seats (he runs a left handed Wallis Deathgrip).

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2008-06-25 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2008-06-25, 08:24 PM   #9
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Tony spent most of RTL on my Schlumpf, particularly in the latter part of the race (Stage 4 and 5), which were particularly suited for the Schlumpf. But Will and I both rode fixies.

He rode quite a bit of Stage 1 and 2 on his Coker.
Oh, I guess I didn't see him much on the coker.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 12:26 PM   #10
BoojiBoy
Team Unicycle Max

Send a message via AIM to BoojiBoy
I heard someone mention a graph that had the total times for each team arranged by how many geared unis they had in their arsenal. Does anyone have that?
BoojiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 09:02 PM   #11
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoojiBoy
I heard someone mention a graph that had the total times for each team arranged by how many geared unis they had in their arsenal. Does anyone have that?
Our guesstimates are that the German team on their 36" Sclumpfs were going about 2% faster than us. They were taking out 1-2min on us every 1 1/2hrs. Chuck on his 36" Sclumpf was probably going 4-5% faster than us.

For us, Tony was probably slightly faster on the 29" Sclumpf on the flats and downhills, Will and I were faster on the mixed terrain, but our NZUNI riders were all roughly the same speedwise.
Old 2008-06-26, 09:58 PM   #12
mscalisi
Unicyclist

I don't mean to take anything away from you guys because you're definitely all rock stars, but I think Chuck deserves a bit more credit

If we assume that the time trial is representative of overall performance (which it may or may not be), Chuck was a shade over 6% faster than Tony and you (I just noticed you guys were within' 2 seconds of each other!!!) and over 12% faster than Will.

Of course, all of you were faster than me on my Schlumpf 36, and I still finished in the top 15%.

Quote:
Our guesstimates are that the German team on their 36" Sclumpfs were going about 2% faster than us. They were taking out 1-2min on us every 1 1/2hrs. Chuck on his 36" Sclumpf was probably going 4-5% faster than us.

For us, Tony was probably slightly faster on the 29" Sclumpf on the flats and downhills, Will and I were faster on the mixed terrain, but our NZUNI riders were all roughly the same speedwise.
Old 2008-06-26, 10:09 PM   #13
mikepenton
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoojiBoy
It was probably me, thinking out load about the layout for the race report in issue 5 of Uni Magazine...
mikepenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 10:16 PM   #14
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalisi
I don't mean to take anything away from you guys because you're definitely all rock stars, but I think Chuck deserves a bit more credit

If we assume that the time trial is representative of overall performance (which it may or may not be), Chuck was a shade over 6% faster than Tony and you (I just noticed you guys were within' 2 seconds of each other!!!) and over 12% faster than Will.

Of course, all of you were faster than me on my Schlumpf 36, and I still finished in the top 15%.
Ok, 6% then. That was a pretty flat course though.

I think the Schlumpfs have definitely lifted racing speeds. The results do reflect that.

Looks like I'll have to get a 36" Schlumpf for the next WR attempt . The only thing is, you can't compare geared and non-geared attempts.
I can only think of a very small handful of people that would be able to beat Patricks hour record (27.18km) on a fixed unicycle.

Chuck is a fantastic rider. He probably could break the Hour record on a fixed 36" too.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2008-06-26 at 10:25 PM.
Old 2008-06-26, 10:28 PM   #15
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalisi

Forgot to ask, Mike, and those of you on 36" Sclumpfs....how much faster are you on that compared to the fixed 36"? Is it much faster than the 29" Sclumpf?

I've just dusted off the chequebook and emailed Florian to go on the waiting list

Tags
nongeared, ranking, rtl, teams