Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-18, 10:24 AM   #2071
pierrox
Unicyclist

PIece Maker, I think your next move is a rim brake! Totally makes sense with a Schlumpf and bars. I know... it goes against the "uni-simplicity" but hey, you're already away from that!

I received my shift buttons from Switzerland. Turns out... that there are several models. So it was back to square 1 for me. In the process, I learned that early hubs have a bigger shifting rod, 5mm diameter with M5 thread, and the later ones have a M4. Whilst the rod is smaller, it allows for more metal around the thread. And since the button is tucked inside the crank bolt, the smaller rod is not a problem for sure. Actually, on bike hubs, Schlumpf goes down to 3mm rod.

Here's a picture of the two buttons:

Fortunately, Florian keeps spares for older hubs too! So I can now shift. Just have to practice it!

pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 05:27 PM   #2072
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
PIece Maker, I think your next move is a rim brake! Totally makes sense with a Schlumpf and bars. I know... it goes against the "uni-simplicity" but hey, you're already away from that!
I'm considering a brake - I do find it really hard to stop from a high-speed sprint especially when tucked onto the handlebars, and especially when I'm using the short crank holes (Gotta beat Mowcious next year!). I've never ridden with one though so I'm not sure this is the best way to learn, plus I'm not sure if the blue Nimbus rim even has the tracks for it being a disc wheel!

In regards to those Schlumpf buttons, when I bought mine (second-hand, from someone who had apparently looked after it really well!) it came with a few spare buttons, and I think one of them is odd. I suppose this explains why
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 08:47 PM   #2073
pierrox
Unicyclist

Went for a ride today. First time I was able to down-shift with the Schlumpf hub! After numerous failed attempts, I did it. Up-shifting is not as hard as down-shifting but that's me. Now I need to become proficient so that I can take this skill to less "safe" areas - at the moment I can only do it when I'm in a no danger zone (no cars, no road crown, visibility, etc).

Tech question for the Schlumpf owners out there: my wheel has some play, which I assume is normal. Is it the case with yours? And how much? I have about 2mm at the rim (easy to measure with the Magura brakes) on the 29" wheel.
Old 2017-10-18, 11:07 PM   #2074
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

A tight one

Quote:
I have about 2mm at the rim (easy to measure with the Magura brakes) on the 29" wheel.
Sound like you managed to get a tight one. I've had seven of them. They only get worse with use. If you ride enough you will get use to the side play and gear lash. I've had enough side play that I've used the rim brake to keep the tire from rubbing on the frame when traversing side hills. That was just about when I decided to trash it.

JM

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-19, 03:51 PM   #2075
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Tech question for the Schlumpf owners out there: my wheel has some play, which I assume is normal. Is it the case with yours? And how much? I have about 2mm at the rim (easy to measure with the Magura brakes) on the 29" wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
Sound like you managed to get a tight one. I've had seven of them. They only get worse with use. If you ride enough you will get use to the side play and gear lash. I've had enough side play that I've used the rim brake to keep the tire from rubbing on the frame when traversing side hills. That was just about when I decided to trash it.

JM
There should be no sideplay in the hub! My hub now is back at the Schlumpf workshop in Switzerland for the second time now because of side play issues. Florian Schlumpf told me, that there shall not be any side play and if one recognizes side play, the hub shall be repaired.
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-19, 06:09 PM   #2076
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
There should be no sideplay in the hub! My hub now is back at the Schlumpf workshop in Switzerland for the second time now because of side play issues. Florian Schlumpf told me, that there shall not be any side play and if one recognizes side play, the hub shall be repaired.
Interesting because he told me it shouldn't be a problem to have some play. His secretary in on holidays at the moment, but I'll be in touch when she's back as they keep track of all operations done to the hubs. Mine is supposed to have been serviced not long before I bought it. So I'll know for sure.
Old 2017-10-20, 06:20 AM   #2077
jogi
vegan rider

smal side play of the tire that causes in high play of the hub is no issue
axial side play of the hub is an issue
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-20, 08:41 AM   #2078
pierrox
Unicyclist

I'll make a little video to show the problem, might be easier than describing it.

Eric, didn't you have a similar problem and filmed it?
Old 2017-10-20, 09:11 AM   #2079
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
I'll make a little video to show the problem, might be easier than describing it.

Eric, didn't you have a similar problem and filmed it?
https://flic.kr/s/aHskzRf9Jc
Old 2017-10-20, 08:27 PM   #2080
pierrox
Unicyclist

Ok now I'm freaking out a bit... so I filmed it in my kitchen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kImvKsjfCkc

Old 2017-10-24, 06:18 AM   #2081
Eric aus Chemnitz

It's hard to tell from the video which parts are moving and hoch much, couse the cam is solid to none of them. But when the hub body is wobbling sideways while the axle is solid, then it should not be ok.

Florian told me for my hub, that it's not ok to have this side play and it should be repaired, but he also said, riding so will not cause any additional damage to the hub.

Have you aksed Florian about your hub?
Old 2017-10-30, 08:41 AM   #2082
pierrox
Unicyclist

It's a bit easier to see it if you go to the youtube page and make it full screen. I'm still waiting for feedback from Florian. Hopefully I'll get some news today.

Completely unrelated question: anybody out there is using a Schlumpf hub with a disc-brake? How does it feel in high gear?
Old 2017-10-30, 09:12 AM   #2083
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
Completely unrelated question: anybody out there is using a Schlumpf hub with a disc-brake? How does it feel in high gear?
Yes, me. First I was really scared to use it in high gear. As with your feet, beeing in second gear you don't have the braking force as you have in first gear. Now I think I'm happy, that it has less braking force, so the risk of braking too hard is reduced. I took me definitely som time to get used to it and I still hesitate sometimes to use it in second gear.
Old 2017-10-30, 11:40 AM   #2084
pierrox
Unicyclist

Thanks Eric, I can imagine there is something weird about the "multiplying factor" on the disc. In an ideal world, the wider hub (will we ever see it?) would have an in-board disc mount.
Old 2017-10-30, 12:39 PM   #2085
rich
Unicyclist

I spoke to Kris via email in August regarding the wide hub. He had no future availability date.
He also mentioned a potential problem in that the the geared hub would require a custom brake rotor to be manufactured in order to clear the non-removable bearings.
I hopefully solved that one by pointing out the fact that the readily available Rohloff Speedhub disc rotors use 4 bolts at a large enough BCD to clear the bearings.

I'd really like a geared disc hub with consistent brake feel between gears, where braking forces aren't transmitted through the gear train.
I'll keep waiting
rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf