Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-28, 12:35 AM   #1
Julia B
Flatland!

New Mad4One Parts - Disk Brake Hub and more!

The Seisuke Kobayashi Signature race kit is in green, and the disc brake hub and double hole cranks are in pink. Soon, you'll be able to customize the color of all your Mad4One parts. For more info, check out the facebook page and website.
Attached Images

In a previous life:
2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv
Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
Monarch
Julia B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 01:38 AM   #2
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
can you get mad4one cranks in the united states yet? If so were?
Old 2012-06-28, 04:23 AM   #3
JacobSpera
Street

The disk hub <3

The colors <3

Oh how Mad4one has stolen my heart!

If you want to get Mad4one parts contact Marco Vitale at Marco@unicyclist.it

Cheers!
Old 2012-06-28, 08:11 AM   #4
Eddbmxdude
THE original 12" Trials vid

I think its a mistake moving away from ISIS. I would have bought a disc hub, but I want to use my own cranks.

I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd. - Boogie
Eddbmxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 01:02 PM   #5
SEMPER_UNI
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to SEMPER_UNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddbmxdude View Post
I think its a mistake moving away from ISIS. I would have bought a disc hub, but I want to use my own cranks.
Same. I love the hub design, but would use different and lighter-duty ISIS cranks in my own build.

Glad to see the company expanding offerings, which implies growth. I imagine this is a very hard market to thrive in. Best of luck to those at Mad4One.
SEMPER_UNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 01:30 PM   #6
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Not ISIS? What were they thinking?

If it was ISIS, I'd consider buying a disc hub, oh well
Old 2012-06-28, 04:26 PM   #7
JacobSpera
Street

The hubs are made of ergal, that is why the ISIS pattern is different. The entire hub and crank are EXTREMELY light and strong. I am using the non disk hub on my 24inch street unicycle and I have yet to bend or break the hub or cranks.

Yes it does seem kind of odd to have a different ISIS pattern but after you feel the weight difference between all the other hub and cranks you seen realize the MASSIVE benefits of having a light hub. Your control of the uni goes up, hiking/walking with the uni is a lot easier (I rode my uni on campus both semester this year and the light weight made it a joy for riding through crowded hallways and walkways, also made it nice for when i had to carry my uni in class).

These hubs and cranks are quality, each and ever hub is made one at a time in a small machine shop in Italy that machines parts for the Bugatti super car. Yes they are expensive, "you get what you pay for."
Old 2012-06-28, 06:08 PM   #8
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Jacob,

Are they using a spline standard from mtbing or is it their own standard?

I.E. are there any other crank brands that fit those hubs?
Old 2012-06-28, 06:28 PM   #9
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I an guessing that the pictures shown here are just computer models. Please tell me if I am wrong but it looks to me like the splines on the hub don't match up with the splines you can see on the green cranks suggesting these aren't the real deal.

Ergal is just another name for 7075 Aluminum, no reason for a new crank interface.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:42 PM   #10
Julia B
Flatland!

They're prototypes I believe, not computer models. You'll be able to see them at unicon.

In a previous life:
2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv
Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
Monarch
Julia B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 08:08 PM   #11
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
On the question what the type of spline is it they answered on fb:
It is a MAD4ONE system developped by us. With this spline is possible to have Ergal hub strong as CrMo Hub with 30% of weigth.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 08:09 PM   #12
SEMPER_UNI
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to SEMPER_UNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post

Ergal is just another name for 7075 Aluminum, no reason for a new crank interface.
+1

This interface forces a consumer to use the matching crank. Many people would choose another crank made by someone else if given the choice. That choice has been revoked. The market will vote with their dollars to prove whether or not this was a good idea.

I'm also turned off by the claims of a lighter hub increasing my enjoyment while riding through hallways. All things within reason, hub weights don't matter. Especially when riding in hallways.

I wish people could just sell their products on the merits of good, simple design.

I'd have been interested in the hub based on it's clean elegant design and one-piece machined construction. the cost associated with machining the hub is higher than other methods. As an educated consumer, I'm aware of that and would have been willing to pay extra.
SEMPER_UNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 08:20 PM   #13
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
This interface forces a consumer to use the matching crank. Many people would choose another crank made by someone else if given the choice. That choice has been revoked. The market will vote with their dollars to prove whether or not this was a good idea.

I'm also turned off by the claims of a lighter hub increasing my enjoyment while riding through hallways. All things within reason, hub weights don't matter. Especially when riding in hallways.

I wish people could just sell their products on the merits of good, simple design.

I'd have been interested in the hub based on it's clean elegant design and one-piece machined construction. the cost associated with machining the hub is higher than other methods. As an educated consumer, I'm aware of that and would have been willing to pay extra.
I suppose this sells things to people who don't know better, so the youth?

Personally, I already have more than a dozen ISIS standard cranks in lengths from 125-175, four ISIS hubbed unis, so if it ain't ISIS I ain't buying. I suppose it would work for folks who only ride a uni the way it comes equipped, that's just not me.

As to the use of "new" materials and claims of weight loss and high strength, let's be honest, there are no new materials that are economical enough for uses, even Ti is very expensive. I would hope that "the youth" would recognize that such claims are fluff

Propriatary cranks and hubs, novel idea, too bad they won't sell many.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:55 PM   #14
JacobSpera
Street

Ive been riding a unicycle for 8 years, I have seen many designs come and go. Personally I myself do not care about weight but more of the reliability of the part. After riding with light weight parts you soon see all the advantages of having them.

I mean you guys care about having a light weight 36inch tire so why not have a light hub? This hub is for the extreme genres of riding, the type of riding where you do things in the air that happen in a blink of the eye.

Yes the ergal is the 7075, an extremely hard aluminum! Currently KH is making his new cranks out of them and I am extremely excited to see how they hold up. These are not computer models, they are in fact the real deal.

I have been riding with Mad4one parts for a year and a half now and have seen and rode some parts that werent the best. These new cranks and hubs are so far amazing. Yes I am sponsored by them, I am not saying all of this because of that. I am completely for the innovation of new parts for the unicycling community and I think mad4one is doing this quite well.

Also just to clear things I dont just ride in hallways, I also enjoy like to ride a lot of street.
Old 2012-06-28, 10:19 PM   #15
Klaus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobSpera View Post
I mean you guys care about having a light weight 36inch tire so why not have a light hub?
Because the tire is far away from the wheel axis and contributes significantly to the moment of inertia - contrary to the hub.

Tags
brake, disk, hub, mad4one, parts