Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-05-18, 03:25 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Since Ed doesn't do this just for fun and also does a big fundraising for the Project School in a Bag with this I'd like to encourage you all to support his fundraising goal of 7,500 Pounds equal to 500 schoolbags.
You can donate at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund...ldUnicycleTour
I recommend Forums readers to post here when they make their donations. It will be fun to follow along and see how much we can generate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Looking at his pictures on Facebook, he has a custom mudguard too.
Looks like the mudguards are also a necessity for keeping the bags off the tire. It's an ingenious setup for backpack-free riding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker
Apparently his setup was built by Cary Gray, who owns the record for the longest unicycle trip!
I don't know about Cary Gray. What's the longest unicycle trip? I thought it was Wally Watts; around the world 1976-78.
Quote:
Those little pedal bags are genius!
I like the idea of pedals that stay upright, but not at the expense of any excessive weight on them. The longer the ride, the more that matters. Like anything over 10 km.

Go Ed!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 11:47 AM   #17
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I didn't really think of that extra pedalling weight, but I do already ride with heavy boots so maybe that wouldn't bother me

https://www.facebook.com/UnicyclingTheWorldCaryOutThere

His About page seems to suggest he's still going, but he's already trying to get a spot on American Ninja Warrior, so I guess he's done for now.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 01:12 PM   #18
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Ed is now in Serbia on his way to Belgrade. He seems to make good progress.

Map
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 09:45 PM   #19
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Those little pedal bags are genius! I think I've seen them before (Probably the same person).

I still to this day sometimes mount with my feet a bit wonky, as I don't usually check where my pedals are tilting before jumping on. Causes my feet to sometimes hit the front/rear edge, and spin the pedal round during mounting, causing me to pedal on my heel until I adjust. I could definitely do with a righting mechanism...

At the outside of your pedals there should me a removable cap. Removing the cap should reveal a nut which if tightened slightly will prevent the pedals from turning so freely so that they stay in position as you prepare to mount.

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-05-18 at 09:47 PM.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 10:14 PM   #20
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
At the outside of your pedals there should me a removable cap. Removing the cap should reveal a nut which if tightened slightly will prevent the pedals from turning so freely so that they stay in position as you prepare to mount.
My pedals are already relatively stiff here - the problem is that I don't usually bend down to adjust them before mounting, so they're basically at whatever angle they were at when I dismounted before.

EDIT: I should note this isn't a big problem, I still mount/ride just fine, and can even 1-foot half a revolution to get my feet in line without killing myself, so while it's a small annoyance that'd be fixed with weights, it's not something I'll be doing anytime soon!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-05-18 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2015-05-19, 04:44 AM   #21
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
His About page seems to suggest he's still going, but he's already trying to get a spot on American Ninja Warrior, so I guess he's done for now.
He doesn't sound American... Actually my impression of his accent is that he sounds like one of the royals.

American Ninja Warrior is a TV show, so to be a "regular" entry involves an audition process. This might take months, starting with sending in videos. You can also do a "stand-by" audition by showing up at one of the entry competitions and seeing if they will let you compete. It would be really cool if he could get on. That's a great show.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-20, 07:21 AM   #22
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
...I don't know about Cary Gray. What's the longest unicycle trip? I thought it was Wally Watts; around the world 1976-78.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicyclingT...type=3&theater

Now I am confused. So, who holds the record for longest unicycle ride? Also on the distance-topic...do I hold the record for the oldest guy, at 64, to ride 100 miles in a day on a unicycle?
Old 2015-06-22, 05:14 PM   #23
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Episode 4

Episode 4 of Ed's videodocumentation:

https://www.facebook.com/MrEdPratt/v...9844487578397/
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-23, 07:45 AM   #24
MUniEd

Hello

Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread. Wow, thank you for all the interest. Just wanted to say that my latest video is also up on youtube: https://youtu.be/mUFmLRfKeYM

I'm currently in Istanbul waiting for visas so will probably be stationary for the next week which is a little annoying. But it does give me the time to do some more editing which is handy because I'm over a month and a half behind with the footage!

It was mentioned before on here, but I'll just mention again that with my ride I am supporting the School in a Bag charity and am aiming to raise enough to send 500 SchoolBags to 500 disadvantaged children all over the world. Please check out the charity's website here: http://www.schoolinabag.org and if you like what they're about you can donate through my page here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/WorldUnicycleTour

'School in a Bag', have been behind me completely so any love you can send their way would be greatly appreciated. They have a Facebook page too which is well worth a like: https://www.facebook.com/schoolinabag

And I'd be happy to answer any questions you have for me

Cheers, Ed
MUniEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 09:21 PM   #25
jerome
Unicyclist

hi ed
great video and some very cool scenery ?
have you had any injuries on your epic trip?
whats been highlight so far ?
jerome
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 01:18 AM   #26
Universe
Unicyclist

Is anybody else following Ed? He's in Kazakhstan, between Russia and China. He just started riding again the other day after wintering over in Kyrgyzstan.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 01:53 AM   #27
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Yeah, I'm following him and have been waiting for him to start riding again.
Old 2016-05-07, 10:21 AM   #28
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Is anybody else following Ed? He's in Kazakhstan, between Russia and China. He just started riding again the other day after wintering over in Kyrgyzstan.
Back to riding a single wheel? Or still on his tandem tour
Old 2016-05-07, 12:34 PM   #29
juerg
Unicyclist

Ed is back on one wheel. And he is currently a bit in a hurry. About 1,000 miles left in Kazakhstan and only some 24 days left on his visa.

And he just got what could be quite a problem. Today he posted a picture of his hub on Facebook. The flange broke, disconnecting two spokes completely. He is asking for advise on what to do (he is probably in the middle of nowhere with no bicycle store anywhere nearby). Leave him a comment here https://www.facebook.com/MrEdPratt if you have some good ideas on how to fix the problem.

Last edited by juerg; 2016-05-07 at 12:39 PM.
juerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 02:02 PM   #30
Universe
Unicyclist

Even if tig patched that hub is going to fail again. It will take the same amount of time for him to get a new hub as an entire wheel. But if he gets just a hub then there's the big problem of rebuilding the wheel. So a new wheel is probably the best option in his situation.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tour, unicycle, world