Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-04-15, 10:21 AM   #8116
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Overall a great day riding with my wife around Folsom, over 36 miles and super nice weather.
And ur wife also rides uni?
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 01:50 PM   #8117
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

.3 is hilarious. 36 miles just riding around, Wow!
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 02:44 AM   #8118
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
And ur wife also rides uni?
She rides recumbi (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
.3 is hilarious. 36 miles just riding around, Wow!
On that #3, I forgot to mention that all but the first sentence were at the top of his lungs!

As for "riding around", it's hard to explain, as I'll illustrate with this trail map. All of the gold lines are paved bike path, mostly Class I, I believe (wide). At many street crossings, they go under the road, and in one case, over. It's really beautiful. The trail(s) at the bottom left join up at the Nimbus Dam (yes, unicycle fans, it's a unicycle brand) and continue all the way to downtown Sacramento, about 23 miles from the edge of the map. We are spoiled for bike paths!

One of those paths is the recently completed Johnny Cash Trail, which goes outside the front gate of Folsom Prison and crosses Folsom Lake Crossing Road on this beautiful bike bridge:
Attached Images

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-04-18 at 02:59 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 07:20 AM   #8119
Quax1974
Wobbly

Some from last Sunday while riding the 24” Muni:

A kid shouting: “ Unicycle!”
From a passing van: “You lost a wheel”
An elderly woman to some else in their group: “That’s not allowed, isn’t it?” On a forest path where bicycles are not allowed…

Best One: a young teenage girl in a big family group: “High Five!” Followed by a rolling high five indeed.
Then “that’s so cool!” to her group.

I know what’s she will be asking for her next Birthday
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 09:09 AM   #8120
rich
Unicyclist

I was riding back from a local shop on my giraffe and I'd bought some Tulips for my wife because they looked nice.
It was a very sunny day and I went back through the park where there was a large group of thirtysomethings having a picnic while their kids played. The applause started as I approached and there were a few comments. The loudest was 'Are you going to propose to your girlfriend with those?'
My reply; 'I've been married for ten years, these are for me!'

Further on I got a 'You shouldn't have!' from a woman running in the park. I think i'll ride with a prop more often, the comments are more varied.

Got a WYOW this morning from a friendly old bloke. I replied 'My wife said she'd buy me one when I grow up'. Hope that never happens!

Last edited by rich; 2019-04-20 at 09:12 AM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 07:20 PM   #8121
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
In Norway we have recently had VOI setup their electric scooter sharing system around Oslo. You use an app to locate one near by, unlock it, use it and leave it wherever you want. There has been a fair bit of local debate regarding if they are generally a good thing for society, or a bad thing. Anyway, today someone pinged me about this tweet, which translates as follows:

You have probably already guessed the joke but watch the video anyway.

That's pretty funny linking that tweet to the crap about electric scooters (We're getting the same "debate" here in the UK as right now they are technically illegal on anything that isn't private land).

I've not been riding a lot recently, thanks to the weather and sickness and all that good stuff, but today I had a guy lean out from the passenger seat of a car while the driver slowed down and crawled towards me - not close enough to be dangerous, but close enough for his passenger to shout 'Keep it up dude! HAPPY 4/20!'

I don't know what it is about having knee-length orange hair and riding a unicycle at break-neck speed that thinks I'm interested in such a holiday
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 11:40 PM   #8122
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
.... 'Keep it up dude! HAPPY 4/20!'
I don't know what it is about having knee-length orange hair and riding a unicycle at break-neck speed that thinks I'm interested in such a holiday
I had to look that up.
What is 4/20?

The “high holiday” sees marijuana users congregate at 4.20pm on April 20 (4/20) celebrate cannabis culture. In London, thousands will descend on Speaker’s Corner in Hyde Park to smoke joints (cannabis cigarettes) in a peaceful protest against the government’s drug laws.

According to legend, 4/20 takes its name from a group of Californian high school students who went on a hunt for a cannabis crop in 1971.

I didn't know that.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-23, 03:37 AM   #8123
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, the bike paths of Folsom had surprisingly few people considering the absolutely perfect weather. Jacquie and I rode 40 miles of bike path, with two notable comments:

First, a group of 3 bikes going the other way. The guy in back couldn't see me until we were really close. I heard him say "HOLY. - - Sh*t." Just came out funny.

Later, I was up at Beals Point, waiting for Jacquie (I beat her on the uphills but she creams me on the downhills), with my uni leaning against a tree. A young lady walking by with a group asked "What happened to the rest of your bike?" Nothing special there, but I had a chance to try one of my "big wheel" comebacks and still be around to hear the response. I said "That wheel ate it." They seemed to think that was pretty funny! No accounting for taste.

Old 2019-04-23, 05:49 AM   #8124
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I only found one brief mention on this site of the study by Sam Shuster on the subject "Sex, aggression, and humour: responses to unicycling". It's from 2007, but still valid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2151169/
Old 2019-04-23, 10:14 AM   #8125
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I only found one brief mention on this site of the study by Sam Shuster on the subject "Sex, aggression, and humour: responses to unicycling". It's from 2007, but still valid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2151169/
That study is highly consistent with my observations.

Adolescent males tend to be highly competitive and generally dismissive of any skill if it is obvious they can't match it. Either that or they bluff and pretend they could do it if they wanted. They develop a better attitude once they have matured and no longer feel the need to compete. Maturity evades precise definition and some men take multiple decades to mature, if ever. A bit like cheese. Definitely old, but is it mature or is it rancid?

The most spontaneous, unselfconscious and positive remarks come from young adult women.

Young children are mostly curious and don't make negative comments.
Old 2019-04-23, 12:16 PM   #8126
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

I've yet to encounter any of this:
Quote:
From about 11-13 years, boys began to develop an aggressive response, which continued throughout the school years. They tried to put me off balance by suddenly shouting, jumping out of hiding, kicking a football, throwing stones, or riding a bicycle at me; a few asked for a ride in addition to aggressive behaviour.
I've probably always either been too young to provoke that, or fit enough to be considered someone you don't want to start a fight with.
Quote:
Some of the remarks showed combativeness and envy, such as “bet I could do better than that.”
That might be because I've never been an adult and a beginner at the same time.
Quote:
Young men in old cars were very aggressive, acting as if to frighten me off the road—they lowered their windows and shouted abusively, waved their arms, and hooted.
Only time I ever experienced something similar to this, was when I rode my bicycle on the street in a snowstorm. In hindsight, it was very dangerous, and while I wouldn't have reacted as strongly, they had a point.

I've been driving a lot lately, and I'm experiencing getting angry at some cyclist for the first time. I had one incident, where I was turning left (and yes, I use my indicators), and almost hit a cyclist that was going the wrong way on his lane, with no lights on at dawn, at ~30 km/h. Had I not slammed the brakes on time, I would have hit him, and gotten partial fault. The thought of getting blamed for hitting someone that is stupid enough to essentially overtake a car indicating to the left, on the left, is pretty infuriating.

So that someone might try and tell a unicyclist that the road might not be the right place for them is not really absurd to me. There are better ways than shouting insults, but the perceived danger of a unicyclist falling is high, and if I knew nothing about unicycling I wouldn't want anyone riding one on the road either. (might be controversial, but well..)
Old 2019-04-28, 04:08 PM   #8127
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Walker: „It looks very interesting!“
Me: „It is very interesting!“
Old 2019-04-28, 07:37 PM   #8128
pierrox
Unicyclist

Riding today, I came across a young couple. She was struggling on roller-skates, he seemed a bit more confortable. She was flailing her arms like crazy, and stopped dead when I got close to them. She realized what I was riding and her jaw dropped and her eyes tripled. So I just said "You guys have way too many wheels!", which made them burst laughing. Being in a confort zone on my wheel, it was easier for me to beat them on the fast comment!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-06, 05:15 PM   #8129
LanceB
This space available

For context, one of the things I like best about riding a larger wheel with a brake is that I can ride at regular speed to a stop, then lean back, squeeze the brake, and step off the back in a very smooth, controlled fashion.
Yesterday, riding with a group of bicyclists on a casual ride along the Los Angeles river, we came to a rest stop at a local park. I rode in towards a group of other people, and executed my normal dismount, and continued to walk towards the group. As I did so, I heard a guy behind me say:
"Look at that dismount -- like a boss!"
Old 2019-05-07, 01:12 AM   #8130
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Saturday: a Muni ride on the Clementine Loop in Auburn, the original ride of the original Muni Weekend. Tons of hikers out, on what was an absolutely gorgeous day (not too warm). There were a ton of comments, mostly from hikers, and most I've heard before, like "You're an animal" and "That's awesome", which are always helpful because where the hikers are, it's basically all uphill.

But one comment stood out, from a young man who said "You're like my spirit animal!"

I told him no one has ever granted me that; and I thought it was very cool. Then of course my brain took a left turn, wondering if I'm "like" his spirit animal, what does his spirit animal look like??

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle