Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-03-13, 09:47 PM   #16
jtrops
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Age: 50
Posts: 2,282
If you have a good bike shop that's been open for a few decades they may have the tool to ream your seat tube to the 22.2 standard size. New shops seem to be somewhat lacking in frame prep tools.

Also, the 13/16", or 20.6 size will fit with a shim. Ask UDC if the Schwinn post they have is 22.2, or 13/16" if it is like mine it will be the smaller size, and should be workable for your uni.

I'm actually going to buy a new post for my Schwinn, and you're welcome to my old one if you want it. The holes were originally drilled a bit off, so the post sits crooked. I drilled a set of new holes to put it straight. The hole problem won't make any difference to you. The Schwinn frame design will work with either post size so it's a non issue for me.
__________________
"A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 11:38 AM   #17
GRZ
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
If you have a good bike shop that's been open for a few decades they may have the tool to ream your seat tube to the 22.2 standard size. New shops seem to be somewhat lacking in frame prep tools.

Also, the 13/16", or 20.6 size will fit with a shim. Ask UDC if the Schwinn post they have is 22.2, or 13/16" if it is like mine it will be the smaller size, and should be workable for your uni.

I'm actually going to buy a new post for my Schwinn, and you're welcome to my old one if you want it. The holes were originally drilled a bit off, so the post sits crooked. I drilled a set of new holes to put it straight. The hole problem won't make any difference to you. The Schwinn frame design will work with either post size so it's a non issue for me.
Thanks for the great suggestions and for your kind offer of your old seat post. There is a bike shop that I'm guessing could ream the seat tube, but I think I'm just gonna grin and bear it with the original saddle at this point. It's in great condition, just hard as a rock. I thought this would be a simple upgrade that would get me ridding again. My original goal was to brush up on my ridding skills with my old 24" so I could justify buying a new 29" or 36", and be able to ride it with confidence. I don't want a new 24" at this point. I should have stuck to the old saying, "if it an't broke, don't fix it"! I've already lost money on shipping both ways and I'm still on my old saddle. Thanks to everybody here on the forum though, I did learn a lot about saddles and seat posts!
GRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 09:50 PM   #18
JimT
Unicyclist
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 199
Upgraded Vintage Seat Post

I upgraded the seat post on my 50+ year old 26" Columbia uni using a section of 1" pipe that clamps on the outside of the frame post. It fits a modern four bolt saddle and should resist twisting/slipping much better then the original.

The 26er should have a new lease on life. It still has cottered cranks and welded on rubber pedals. I never had any problems with the cranks when I rode it long ago but I hear lots of stories of problems with them. After learning to free mount my 36er I need to work on free mounting this squirrely little thing.

Original Saddle and post:


New Seat Post and Modern Seat:


Ready for service:


Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 10:05 PM   #19
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle
 
Mikefule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Bennington, Lincolnshire, England.
Posts: 7,115
"Outside diameter" - you mean circumference.

As other people have posted, the maths suggests a diameter of 22.2 mm which is a common size on cheaper unicycles.

However, measuring round it with a tape and dividing by pi introduces a margin for error. Ideally, measure it with a calliper gauge, or find some way of measuring the distance between two parallel items that are touching it on opposite sides.

A seat post is a cheap and easily replaceable item, but it would be frustrating to buy the wrong size.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 02:14 AM   #20
JimT
Unicyclist
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
"Outside diameter" - you mean circumference.

As other people have posted, the maths suggests a diameter of 22.2 mm which is a common size on cheaper unicycles.

However, measuring round it with a tape and dividing by pi introduces a margin for error. Ideally, measure it with a calliper gauge, or find some way of measuring the distance between two parallel items that are touching it on opposite sides.

A seat post is a cheap and easily replaceable item, but it would be frustrating to buy the wrong size.
After reading the thread I think the original poster was looking for a 20.6mm (13/16") seat post so he could put a modern seat on his vintage uni. It seems that no one sells a 20.6mm OD seat post or the 1" (25.4mm) ID clamp that would be needed.

I was in the same boat so I made a special seat post that clamps over the original vintage frame post. My frame post is 1.000" (25.4 mm) OD without the paint. The pipe I used to make the seat post was about 0.098" ID so I had to bore it out just a little (about 0.003") to make it fit over the original frame post. Seems to work fine and should be a lot stronger then the original seat post and smaller seat clamp system.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 05:19 PM   #21
LanceB
This space available
 
LanceB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northridge, CA
Age: 66
Posts: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I was in the same boat so I made a special seat post that clamps over the original vintage frame post. My frame post is 1.000" (25.4 mm) OD without the paint. The pipe I used to make the seat post was about 0.098" ID so I had to bore it out just a little (about 0.003") to make it fit over the original frame post. Seems to work fine and should be a lot stronger then the original seat post and smaller seat clamp system.
Jim
You did an excellent job of fabricating that seatpost!
__________________
"I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
post, seat, size


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with my first Uni markonewheel General Unicycling Discussions 37 2012-06-21 09:06 AM
Need Help with Upper Body Twist eakearns General Unicycling Discussions 15 2012-06-10 02:01 PM
I need help with the footplant! HYDR8 General Unicycling Discussions 2 2012-02-02 03:00 AM
Need help with KH36 (short rider) LoneReaction General Unicycling Discussions 30 2011-10-27 05:27 PM
Need help with assembling a QU-AX QX Kal General Unicycling Discussions 6 2011-10-08 06:15 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.30683 seconds with 13 queries