Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-10-17, 05:46 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

The event is only one week away! I will post some more information here, and send it out to our local uni email lists, but if you want the full details, you'll need to contact me by email. jfoss - a - unicycling - dotcom

Accommodations at my house are full. If you would like to attend the Saturday dinner event at Casa de Sisson, I need to know ahead of time so we can have the right amount of food there. We're going to put up the food, you supply the drinks, and we'll have a collection bucket or something there to help recoup the expenses. This Muni Weekend is otherwise free!

I will post the basic schedule here, with directions to the ride starting points. Early weather forecast suggests highs in the 70s and little to no chance of rain (what else is new about that part?). It should be a really nice weekend to get together and do some rides!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 04:08 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Muni Weekend 2015 (Local) Schedule:

Note: This schedule is subject to change, for reasons of weather, delays or other forms of reality.

Friday, 10/23:
The Foss house will be available from 2:00pm. Don't arrive earlier; there may be nobody home! No specific plans, but there are plenty of photo albums to peruse, and unicycles in the garage to check out. For dinner we might go to a restaurant, or cook something up on the BBQ. I'm requesting all house attendees to let me know which nights they plan to spend at the house.

Saturday 10/24:
  • 9:15 – Depart Foss house for the Salmon Falls Shortcut ride. Driving distance about 7 miles, prox. 15 mins. Drive time.
  • 10:00 - Ride start. Bring snacks! We might be out there for a while
  • 2:00-4:00 – Estimated ride finish. Return to Foss house for cleanup and light lunch
  • 4:00 – Depart Foss house for dinner at Casa de Sisson. 17.4 miles, about 30 min. drive time
  • 4:30 or 5:00 – Dinner! Including sushi platters. We're putting up the food, and requesting donations to help cover the cost. You supply the drinks. Pool and attached hot tub available. Indoor and outdoor dining and seating. Rough trails on the "back 40" for anyone who would like to explore.

Sunday 10/25:
  • 9:00 – Depart Foss house for Auburn Shuttle ride. Drive: 22 miles, estimated 40 min. to get to The Confluence.
  • 10:00 – Activities start, possibly with Confluence Uphill Race (time trial) and/or other fun stuff, then shuttling up to the top of the ride
  • Pile into the shuttle vehicles. Shuttle drivers: 8 miles northeast, on Old Foresthill Road and then Foresthill Road to large parking area on left.. Estimated drive time 12 min.
  • Then we ride back down to the Conflunce, connecting several trails together. Trail distance is between 11-12 miles.
  • After ride, shuttle drivers will need a ride back up to their vehicles..
  • A safe trip home for all!

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-10-18 at 04:09 AM.
Old 2015-10-18, 04:13 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND:
  • Please contact me by email so I know you're planning to come
  • I'm only sending out directions to my house and our Saturday dinner location via email
  • You must RSVP if you plan to attend the Saturday dinner at Casa de Sisson (we really need to know how many people to expect)
  • Parking is limited at the Saturday ride staging area. Try to carpool as much as you can.
  • The Sunday ride has lots of space, but a $10 fee to park in the area. Again, carpooling highly recommended!

Old 2015-10-18, 04:38 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Directions to Muni Weekend (local) Ride Locations:

I'm hoping that most of you now have access to GPS devices, like smartphones or similar, and know how to use them to get to locations with the information provided below. Please let me know if you need help with any of this.

Thanks to constant improvements in Google Maps, it's now possible to give directions to anyplace you can click on the map, even if there's not associated address! "Addresses" of the ride locations are not actual buildings or houses, just a point of reference on the map.

Saturday Ride, Salmon Falls Shortcut via Sweetwater Trail:
Point Google Maps to 471 Salmon Falls Road, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762.
You will see a small parking area on the left (north) side of the road. Do not block the gate (possible towing)! Parking is limited, so carpool where possible. More cars can park on the North side of the road beyond the little parking area. Don't leave valuables in the car; there have been some break-ins. This is free parking. Don't forget to allow yourselves enough time to be ready to ride by 10:00am.

Sunday Meeting Point, Auburn Long Shuttle (starting from The Confluence):
This location is named for the meeting place of the North and Middle Forks of the American River. Point Google Maps to 137 Old Foresthill Road, Auburn, CA 95603.
$10 parking fee! No free parking nearby. You will see a little outhouse and some trail signs; park near those. This is the bottom of the Stagecoach Trail, and the location of the Confluence Uphill Challenge, if we choose to do it.
We will shuttle up to the ride start from there.
Be ready to ride at 10:00am. Shuttle vehicles will be loaded after we're done with our activities at the Confluence area. Same parking fee applies at the ride starting point, but your payment covers the whole Auburn State Recreation Area so you only need pay once.

Sunday Ride Start:
Shuttle drivers will head up Old Foresthill Road (northeast; away from Auburn), for about 3 miles to where it ends at Foresthill Road, and turn right. From there, continue about 5 miles (total of 8 miles) to a paved parking area on the left side of a big, sweeping curve in the road. Point Google Maps to 38.973599, -120.954047.
From there, it's a one-way ride back down to the Confluence. There are side trails, so stay with the group!

If you would like to join us for Saturday dinner at Casa de Sisson, contact me via email for the details. jfoss, unicycling, com is the address.

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-10-18 at 04:42 AM.
Old 2015-10-20, 06:52 PM   #20
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Tentatively added:
Uni Basketball! Probably Friday evening in El Dorado Hills. Location TBD, but Jim Sowers will try to organize this. That should be fun!

Old 2015-10-20, 06:57 PM   #21
LanceB
This space available

That sounds like fun, John. Since it gets dark around 6:30 these days, what time would you suggest we plan to get there? (Assuming this is an outdoor venue.)
Old 2015-10-21, 05:33 AM   #22
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

We don't know what the venue is. I was just using Google Maps to "scout" what's in the local area. Schools and parks, at least one of which looks like it's locked inside a fence at night. And can't tell if they have lighting from Google, so if someone arrives fairly early on Friday, maybe we can scope out which will work. We still aren't likely to know the story with lights until it actually gets dark though...

My street is also dark; there is no street lighting. Should be great for Halloween though.

Old 2015-10-23, 03:41 PM   #23
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
Augie, Colin and I are leaving LA at 10am so we should get to Foss's house around 5 or 6pm. Let us know if we should meet somewhere else for basketball or dinner. If we don't hear from anyone we will just go to the Foss house and figure it out from there.
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 09:00 PM   #24
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Colin! I hadn't heard about him. Is Andy Schwarz still coming? Also, is there a better way to contact you? I'll copy this to the one email address I have for you also.

Old 2015-11-02, 05:31 AM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Everybody made it out alive!

Uh, as usual. A good time was had by all. We had a smaller group, with 14 riders on Saturday and 11 on Sunday. We had a wonderful get-together/dinner at the Sisson home (friends of ours with a nice house) on Saturday evening, and two days of hard rides with interesting scenery. And I've got my pictures organized and uploaded!

Enjoy. See you next year (there's been some talk of LA again)...

Old 2015-11-02, 10:47 PM   #26
LanceB
This space available

Thanks so much for your hosting this great event, John. I think everyone had a great (and exhausting!) time! Thanks for posting the photos!

(Yes, I think we So Cal residents should get together to sponsor next year's event. I think we can do it!)
Old 2015-11-03, 09:17 PM   #27
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

Sweet photos! I recognized at least one face from the Seattle Muni Weekend.

I'm of course also jealous of the weather: looks pretty warm (and even though not So Cal it probably is). Here in Munich it's been nice and I will do a great muni ride tomorrow, but winter is coming fast and the night temps are already below freezing...

It's looking very likely that I'm going to be in the U.S. West again next July and August 2016 for a few weeks (not yet sure where, but CO/UT/CA or maybe BC), so if I'm lucky maybe one of the Muni weekends will pan out again :-)
24" Koxx, Duro, Magura HS (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 03:45 AM   #28
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Dude, you should seriously consider South Dakota. Not only are there lots of cool things to see, you will also be able to attend the USA's national event, NAUCC, July 9-15. It was a blast the first time they hosted, in 2008. They actually have a mountain right in the city limits, with trails on it, where they did a whole bunch of off-road events. They also did a "Muni Marathon" event, partially in the town of Sturgis, which was about 18km long. Consider it an oversized Muni Weekend with a huge number of people, plus a bunch of other events!

NAUCC 2016 Facebook page

Here are my Muni photos from the event in 2008
And Freestyle photos
And Trials & Street photos

And by the way, the other stuff we saw/did in South Dakota/Wyoming while we were there.

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-11-06 at 03:47 AM.

Tags
2015, 2425, california, local, muni, oct, weekend