Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-06-27, 03:47 PM   #1
locsnwheels
Unicyclist

Smile What a difference an inch or two makes!!

Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker here, but only recently decided to create an account. I learned how to unicycle years ago, but took a long break due to personal obligations (like learning to adjust to having a new baby in the house!) and only started riding again two months ago. This is my introductory thread! :-)

There is a sidewalk circle outside of my job that is nearly a mile long, and lots of folks walk the circle every day during lunch. I just bought a 26" Club to keep at work and ride the circle every day. I just got back from riding my first mile on this new unicycle, and every moment was a STRUGGLE to stay on top of it! I'm used to riding either a 3" wide knobby or a Big Apple - skinny little tires are TOUGH to control after almost exclusively riding big/wide tires!

I know that I'll eventually get used to it (although I may upgrade the pedals; the stock pedals are just so tiny) and will soon be able to increase the amount of laps I can do . My eventual goal is to ride 10 miles every day; commuting to work is not an option since I have to take my child to daycare every day, but riding in the middle of the work day should satisfy my insatiable wheel lust.
locsnwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:33 PM   #2
Heretical Rants
WTF, ponies

The first time I changed wheel sizes, it took me about an hour to adjust.
It felt awesome, though.
Heretical Rants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:42 PM   #3
Minnow
Unicyclist

Changing sizes is really hard; I just got a 16" after riding only a 24" for about a year.
And good luck with your ten mile goal, that will be quite a challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:44 PM   #4
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Welcome to the forum. We're taking over the world one person at a time.

You'll adjust to the new uni quickly. I bet it will be fine after a week. When you get used to it, the skinny tire will feel nimble and quick. I had the opposite problem when I switched from a freestyle uni to a trials. I was really put off by how much more force it took to turn the wheel. The feeling went away after a few days of practice.

Quote:
My eventual goal is to ride 10 miles every day
That will be impressive for a typical one hour lunch break.

Last edited by aarons; 2011-06-27 at 05:47 PM.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:47 PM   #5
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Welcome

Just about every time I switch back to a different wheel it takes a little while to adjust. If I Muni fairly regularly but go for my first ride in a week, it can take 5 minutes to readjust.

LW- you could commute from your kids day care or bring a trials or your Muni w/ you and practice some trials/urban Muni on your break.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:58 PM   #6
locsnwheels
Unicyclist

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
That will be impressive for a typical one hour lunch break.
I actually work a 12 hour day and get 90 minutes of break time throughout the day. My plan is to get to work a little early every morning, ride 3 miles or so, ride another 3 miles during my lunch break, and then ride the last 4 miles right after work before I go pick up my daughter. So it will be spread throughout the day, and I won't have to go back to my desk after going any further than 3 miles at a time (hopefully by the time I have the endurance for all of this mileage, 3 miles won't make me too sweaty; even if it does, we do have a shower here).

@skilewis74: I've considered commuting from my daughter's daycare, but it would be 1.5-2 hours one way (even on a 36er), which at this point in my life (I'm working two jobs) wouldn't fit into my day. In a year or two I may revisit the idea. I would LOVE to be able to do it and am jealous of everyone who has a more reasonable commute!
Old 2011-06-27, 06:02 PM   #7
locsnwheels
Unicyclist

One of the reasons I decided to start riding during the work day is because I have found that my energy level takes a serious hit if I'm not exercising regularly. I work 6 days and 60+ hours a week on top of taking care of my daughter and volunteering for a non-proft organization, so I have a LOT going on. The weeks that I cannot take the time to unicycle are horrific: my energy level is zilch and the week just drags on and my mood is terrible. The weeks that I make the time to ride or at least practice tricks, I feel like I have the energy to do anything and the work week just zips by!
Old 2011-07-07, 05:47 AM   #8
Heretical Rants
WTF, ponies

Quote:
Just about every time I switch back to a different wheel it takes a little while to adjust. If I Muni fairly regularly but go for my first ride in a week, it can take 5 minutes to readjust.
I'm down to zero time to adjust between the four or five unicycle wheel size+crank length combos that I use often and are therefore completely engraved into the unicycling section of my brain, but any changes to something outside of that range take a ride around the block to get the hang of.

Something egregiously unusual would probably take a lot longer (2" wheel, anyone? )

Last edited by Heretical Rants; 2011-07-07 at 05:47 AM.
Heretical Rants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 12:56 PM   #9
davidp
Unicyclist

Going from a wide tire to a skinny one does require an adjustment. If you want to narrow the gap you could try a 26x2.4 CST Cyclops (~$12). I put the 24" version on my Club and while it barely fits in the frame I really enjoy the way it rides.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
difference, inch, makes