Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-05-31, 10:50 PM   #91
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Uni57, why this link between healthy food and small, local farmers? if the market for such food grows, surely the big companies will move in and crush the competition as they do in other markets? obviously less intensive farming requires more land, and more manpower, but I can't see any reason why local farms would have an advantage over large industries here.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 12:06 AM   #92
uniextreme
Funkadelic Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to uniextreme Send a message via Yahoo to uniextreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni57
Treating our animals well so that they, in turn, can give us the gift of life.

I like your word choice. You make it seem as though the cow walks to the butchering table and begs to sacrifice itself for humans. In reality they aren't giving, we are taking.
Old 2008-06-01, 12:10 AM   #93
uni57
Dave Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
Uni57, why this link between healthy food and small, local farmers?
There doesn't have to be a link, but I think small farms are more likely to pasture their animals and treat them better. A small farmer is probably not going to use factory-farming techniques like the giant businesses do. Or, another way to look at it -- do you know of any mega-corporations that treat their animals humanely and raise them on pasture? That endeavor seems to be reserved for the small, family farms. I could be wrong. I don't trust the big corporations when they say "organic". They don't always abide by the spirit of organic, which to me, encompasses locally-sourced foods, sustainable agriculture, humane treatment of animals, etc. You can have factory-farmed organic milk which isn't much better than regular milk. The giant dairies feed all sorts of crap to their cows, such as bakery waste, for example. The organic cows will get organic bakery waste, but they are still eating crap. They are still in a confinement dairy.

What I'm hoping for is the revival of the small family farms. In great numbers, they can compete with the big corporations. These are the farms that are most likely to produce healthy food and treat their livestock well. There is consumer demand for organic, local food. More and more farms are staying in business by turning to an organic model and selling their products directly to the consumer.
uni57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 12:11 AM   #94
uni57
Dave Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniextreme
I like your word choice.
Thank you.
Old 2008-06-01, 01:43 AM   #95
1wheelwonder
Me Gusta

My mum went to the abbatior when she was younger, because her friend worked their, she didn't eat meat for 2 years!
Old 2008-06-01, 05:01 AM   #96
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
Uni57, first off. Cows shouldn't be called cattle lol.

Cows are ment to eat more then just grass. I have 2 cows and whenever I let them out to graze they head straight for my precious trees.

That obviously shows their not too happy with their padocks alone.

Something on a off note. Mephane gas... Apparently its one of the sorces of global warming? And apparenlty its whats caused a massive hole in the ozone layer above NZ! And apparently.... studies show that the majority of green house gases included mephane gas...comes from cows...

If "cattle" wern't introduced into NZ we'd still have a ozone layer lol. But thats not what I care about. I love cows haha. BUT, I don't think there would be such a big fuss about green house gases at the moment if it wern't for all the cows.

I don't know the exact facts about this, but I've heard it somewhere, so if some of these things ring a bell to anyone, lemme know what its about.

Just imagine some new weird ruler of the world was a vegan and decided all cows should be set free. The world would be messed up... Wild cows everywhere lol... all I'm saying is that there are more cows in the world then nature intended on.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-06-01 at 05:03 AM.
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 05:25 AM   #97
uni57
Dave Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycledood

Cows are ment to eat more then just grass. I have 2 cows and whenever I let them out to graze they head straight for my precious trees.

Well, I'm no cow expert, obviously. But a cow is a girl cow. What's a boy cow called? A steer or a bull? What are they called when they are all mixed together, being raised for meat (as opposed to a herd of dairy (girl) cows)? A co-ed herd of cows is called... cattle? Steer? Bulls? Cows? Bovine quadrupeds?

You are so lucky to have cows! Read my entry on the bucket list thread.

Maybe your cows are just tired of grass. Man is not meant to eat junk food, but he does. Your cows want a tasty snack alternative!

Edit: you are also lucky to have a source of quality raw milk.

Last edited by uni57; 2008-06-01 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2008-06-01, 06:24 AM   #98
Kyle_Destroyer
meh.

Well, the thing about saying that cows help cause global warming and that eating them helps global warming is actually very, very wrong.

We wouldn't have highly concentrated, mass produced cattle if there wasn't a demand for it.

There would be exponentially less cows if we were all vegans.
Old 2008-06-01, 06:53 AM   #99
idiorythmic
Oddistic

Quote:
There would be exponentially less cows if we were all vegans.
I believe that is incorrect: there could be fewer cows.

Reminder: if you are referring to a group of individually discernible objects, such as the bricks in a wall, the dollars in my bank account, or the cows in a field you use the word fewer to express a smaller number. The word less is used when you are referring to a continuous or amorphous amount of something, such as the water in a lake, the time left in a class period, or the amount of happiness in the world.

Last edited by idiorythmic; 2008-06-01 at 06:54 AM.
idiorythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 07:54 AM   #100
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Something on a off note. Mephane gas... Apparently its one of the sorces of global warming? And apparenlty its whats caused a massive hole in the ozone layer above NZ! And apparently.... studies show that the majority of green house gases included mephane gas...comes from cows...

If "cattle" wern't introduced into NZ we'd still have a ozone layer lol. But thats not what I care about. I love cows haha. BUT, I don't think there would be such a big fuss about green house gases at the moment if it wern't for all the cows.

This is true, cattle are a major source of methane. Top Gear, a car program in the UK, stated last year that a cow damages the ozone more than a Range Rover being driven 10,000 miles a year, as methane is 23 times more damaging than the greenhouse gases commonly found in car exhausts, and cows produce an awful lot of it. Now I'm sure those figures are somewhat biased, but when you throw in the decrease in CO2 processing due to deforrestation to clear land for herds, there can be no doubt that eating meat is a serious contributor to the greenhouse effect, or atleast to greenhouse gases in the ozone.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 02:19 PM   #101
Goats_On_Unicycles
Nice kids don't drop acid

Quote:

I don't know the exact facts about this, but I've heard it somewhere, so if some of these things ring a bell to anyone, lemme know what its about.

Just imagine some new weird ruler of the world was a vegan and decided all cows should be set free. The world would be messed up... Wild cows everywhere lol... all I'm saying is that there are more cows in the world then nature intended on.
Some places here in the US have found a way to extract the Methane from the cow manure and turn it into electricty. Awesome?

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle
Goats_On_Unicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 02:52 PM   #102
vanpaun
Unicyclist

Just to let you know... Cows are european. If vegetarians existed in the same numbers they do today, when the first settlers came, there would be no cows in america, except maybe at the zoo.
vanpaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 06:16 PM   #103
thejdw
elcycinu

What would you guys say is wrong with eating non factory meat? - just curious
Old 2008-06-01, 06:49 PM   #104
Triball
Pimped out

The way I see it is that the only difference between the vegetarians and me (who for example don't eat beans) is that you are greater in numbers. So, it's ok for you to be picky and still be proud of it.
Old 2008-06-01, 07:26 PM   #105
Goats_On_Unicycles
Nice kids don't drop acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejdw
What would you guys say is wrong with eating non factory meat? - just curious
Mainly, you're killing an animal...

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle
Goats_On_Unicycles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciation, banmaestro, maestro8mustbebanned, maestromustbebanned, moaning, thread, unibikeling_asshole, vegetarian, veggiesupremacy, vegs'against'maestro'09!, wurst