Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-01-06, 03:51 AM   #16
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuni
These shoes look great, but I can't tell something from the photo at blueskycycling.com. Does the area under the heel go straight down on the outside or does it flare out like a basketball shoe or walking shoe would? I can never ride with shoes that flare out, but my hiking boots (which don't) are fine. Please let me know. Thanks.
Straight down.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 04:21 AM   #17
vivalargo
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

http://www.fiveten.com/Content-detail.php?DID=30
vivalargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 04:52 AM   #18
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Looks like a great MUni shoe, but I hate buying shoes online without trying them for size first! Some shoes run small, other large, or wide, etc. Are these specific hiking shoes available in local stores? I'll have to check around I guess.
Edit: I found this website that give every possible view of this shoe, including the sole! Click on the pic of the shoe for "multi-view."

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181008/c/34250.html

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2007-01-06 at 04:56 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 01:02 PM   #19
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
Looks like a great MUni shoe, but I hate buying shoes online without trying them for size first! Some shoes run small, other large, or wide, etc. Are these specific hiking shoes available in local stores? I'll have to check around I guess.
I wear size 9 in most shoes, and I got size 9. They're a bit snug. You might want a 1/2 size larger than your regular.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 09:32 PM   #20
gkmac
     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
I wear size 9 in most shoes, and I got size 9. They're a bit snug. You might want a 1/2 size larger than your regular.
That's weird, because I wear size 9 and yet my pair of size 9 FiveTens seem slightly roomier than my other shoes, since they're the first shoes I've bought "blind" without trying them on.

They're excellent for riding; as others have said they stick to all my metal-pinned pedals like glue, which can be problematic when it comes to adjusting my left shoe after a freemount. Perhaps one-footed riding does have a purpose then...

The only problem is that being so large and chunky I do have to be careful when I drive in them, but that may be because they're the only large and chunky shoes that I own.
     
gkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 01:23 AM   #21
Phuni
music / unicycling

Thanks, steveyo, for your response. Also, thanks to MuniAddict for the link to the many views of the 5.10 shoe.

Phil
Phuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 06:33 PM   #22
Twisted Jester
Unicyclist

I've had 661 Duallys for about a year now and I really like them, grips the pedal really well and protects the ankle bones without being too high to restrict movement. They also have a pouch you can tuck your laces into to keep them out the way.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6992

They have a new 2006 model with stickier rubber sole but I havent tried these.
Twisted Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 06:09 AM   #23
pkittle
NorCal Riding Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
I found this website that give every possible view of this shoe, including the sole! Click on the pic of the shoe for "multi-view."

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181008/c/34250.html
Zappos is a pretty good place to deal with, too--they never charge shipping either direction. I've bought a few pairs from them just to try them on, and sent back several. They charge a little more than some other places--in this case, $5--but for the ability to try them on and send them back if I don't like them at no cost makes it worthwhile.
--Billy Bragg

==========================
pkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 10:18 PM   #24
pkittle
NorCal Riding Project

Just a follow-up: I ordered a pair of these from Zappos (I tried my LBS and climbing shops first--go local when possible!), Tuesday night, and got them today. Comfy! I won't get to trail test them for a few days, but will report when I do. I really like the high top design. My ankles get a little beat up by the cranks when I hop (I have 06 KHs, so I can't imagine what a nubbed setup would do to me!), so I hope this takes care of it. I can now retire my 5 year old Vans--some old ones from when they still made BMX shoes with stiff soles and the same style of tongue as these new shoes have.
--Billy Bragg

Old 2007-01-11, 11:28 PM   #25
unichomp
Unicyclist

i have pair of these and they are hands down the best muni shoe i have worn. My only complaint is that the toebox is a bit too roomy. I would prefer the same shoe with a lace to toe option. More like the 5.10 approach shoes. I find that with upd's my forefoot moves around too much.
unichomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 12:06 AM   #26
markf
movie nerd

Send a message via AIM to markf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Jester
I've had 661 Duallys for about a year now and I really like them, grips the pedal really well and protects the ankle bones without being too high to restrict movement. They also have a pouch you can tuck your laces into to keep them out the way.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6992

They have a new 2006 model with stickier rubber sole but I havent tried these.
i've been preaching the benefits of the duallys for a couple years now. they totally rock.
markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 01:13 AM   #27
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf
i've been preaching the benefits of the duallys for a couple years now. they totally rock.
Yep! I've had my new pair for a few days now and have used them on three Muni rides so far, and I have to concur, they're nice! I may still buy the 5.10 Impact Hightop Freerides, but the dually's were only $39; $40 less than the other brand.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2007-01-12 at 01:15 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 01:31 AM   #28
vivalargo
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

As mentioned, I had problems with the dots on the soles snagging on the pedal pins so I had a cobbler mill the soles flat, slapped on an 1/8 inch flat climbing sole over that and I'm in bid-ness. That's a lot of time and some dough but I'd goten so used to riding with flat-soled Vans that I couldn't switch over the dot-matrix sole without pitching off my Muni every ten feet. I've got the hightop 5.10 which seems a little clunky so I'm wondering if the lowtop model might be nicer.

JL
vivalargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 04:00 AM   #29
m_extreme_uni
Unicyclist

I'd like say that i whole-heartedly support these shoes. I used to go through a pair of bmx shoes every 2 months, and i've had my 5.10 low impacts for abour 8 months. they're getting a bit worn, but they're still the best shoes i've ever owned for riding.

vivalargo- If you find them too grippy, try removing a few pins on your pedals.

As far as the fit goes, I found them to be a little on the large side too.

I actually liked these shoes so much, that i tried to get a sponsorship through 5.10, but they never returned the email

Anyways, they're sick shoes, i can't say enough good things about them... especially for trials.

-Ryan
Old 2007-01-19, 07:09 AM   #30
pkittle
NorCal Riding Project

So I had a chance to ride with my new five-tens (hightop version) a couple days ago, and I came away impressed with them. They're pretty comfortable, with a stiff enough sole to pedal efficiently without foot fatigue--something that I've noticed when just messing around wearing old skool Vans. I also loved the padded ankles and support; I didn't have any sore spots on my ankles as I usually do. The one thing I'll have to get used to is the stickiness of the soles; John's right that they're hard to rearrange once on the pedal, but I was figuring it out by the end of the ride. I'm also guessing that by this summer I'll have some hot feet, but we'll see. Anyway, even if $85 seems steep, it's not--I always paid around that for running shoes (and much more for basketball shoes back in the day!). Worth the entry fee, definitely.
--Billy Bragg

Tags
510, freerides, hightop, impact, review, shoe