Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-06-20, 03:54 PM   #1
Unicyclotrone
Czech Unitrialist LVL6

Unitrial vs. Cyclotrial (Unis vs. Bikes)

Unitrial vs. Cyclotrial (Unis vs. Bikes)

I ve been riding uni for about a year and yesterday during one of my trials training rides I came across a group of cyclotrialists(?)( =on bikes) and they were really good (at least what i can tell from my unitrial experience . I showed them some of my stuff (rollhopping some 50cms, unispining, railing...) and they have been staring at me
like i was doing something impossible.

They wanted to try to ride my uni (without succes of course but then i tried to ride and hop on their bikes and i couldnt do anything they could.

Now I would like to know your opinion: Can you tell what you think is more difficult (to do/learn) unitrial or cyclotrial? Is there any of you who is good at unitrial AND in cyclotrial?. Who deserves bigger respect ? unitrialists or cyclotrialists
Unicyclotrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 03:57 PM   #2
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
Its just called "bike trials".
Old 2005-06-20, 04:11 PM   #3
Unicyclotrone
Czech Unitrialist LVL6

I m sorry for my english
Unicyclotrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:23 PM   #4
arcane
Jabbering Jibberish?

Send a message via MSN to arcane Send a message via Yahoo to arcane
I actually think it might be harder to learn bike trials, they have to get two wheels off the ground at a time. I might be wrong though.
arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:38 PM   #5
Fuego
Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Send a message via AIM to Fuego Send a message via MSN to Fuego
Bike trials is definately a lot harder.

I think it's easy to ride a bike, hard to do anything truly cool on one (BMX, Moutainbiking, Trials, etc.) However, it's hard to learn to ride a uni, but easier to get good at MUni, trials, etc.

This is just my experience, I bet other people will disagree.

As for abilities, unis are generally better than bikes at trials. we can hop higher, be more precise etc. etc. It's also easier to do these things. (I'm sure some biketrialsers are more precise and can hop higher than me, but not with the same amount of practice and time riding.
Being back is good.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:46 PM   #6
fexnix
I got infinite skillz

Send a message via MSN to fexnix
Bikes can hop higher and longer.
Old 2005-06-20, 04:48 PM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Oops.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2005-06-20 at 04:49 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:49 PM   #8
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuego
As for abilities, unis are generally better than bikes at trials. we can hop higher, be more precise etc. etc.
My experience with bike trials is only from watching competitions with top-ranked riders. They are definitely better than us. Certainly some of this is due to bike trials being a more developed sport, with more participants.

But the bikes can also jump higher. Even though the bikes weigh more, they can be levered to allow them to get higher off the ground than I've seen anyone get with a uni. Plus having two wheels has some advantages the unicyclists must do without.

I guess to point out the main difference between uni and bike trials, it would be coold to build a course that bikes can't fit on, but unicycles can hop right through...

Back to the original questions. What is more difficult to learn? I have no idea. My guess would be that both are pretty difficult, and the unicycle side is cheaper.

Who deserves bigger respect? Interesting question. Do you automatically respect a person because of an activity they do? You should respect the person for who they are, not what they do.

Sometimes what you do comes with a name or title that says you have already proven yourself. For example, you might be an Eagle Scout, a Navy SEAL, a certified level 10 unicyclist, or a world champion bike trials rider. All of those are worthy of automatic respect.

If a rider of a bike or a uni does stuff I cannot do, they get respect from me for that.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:49 PM   #9
DarkTom
Get up on your roof!

Me n pebbles just met a group of trials bikers in glasgow the other week. They were all really good, but I beat them in a "hopping-up-then-down-big-stairs" race!

Watching them do gaps and stuff all on the back wheel I was thinking "how can they move the bike so far?" but I'm sure they were thinking similar stuff about us.

One of them could uni, not very well but he could hop in place quite high. Pebbles can hop on the back wheel of a bike, I tried it and was hopeless. There's more to think about when on a bike.

We were about the same ability at trials-ing as them, except for one of them who was really really amazing. He jumped straight up onto a wall that was 4ft high, landing on just his back wheel !!!

I reckon if you are just as good on a uni as you are on a bike, then the uni will be easier.

Also it looks cooler!

T.

24" uni for sale
koxx/onza trials uni for sale
DarkTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 04:51 PM   #10
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
Unicycles are definitly harder to learn, just about anyone knows how to ride a bike. But for me bikes are MUCH harder to do stuff on. I will ride tons of things on my uni that I would be way to chinken to do on my bike. But thats just me. (and some majority of unuicyclists)
Old 2005-06-20, 04:56 PM   #11
Fuego
Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Send a message via AIM to Fuego Send a message via MSN to Fuego
Quote:
Originally posted by forrestunifreak
Unicycles are definitly harder to learn, just about anyone knows how to ride a bike. But for me bikes are MUCH harder to do stuff on. I will ride tons of things on my uni that I would be way to chinken to do on my bike. But thats just me. (and some majority of unuicyclists)
This was basically my point.

I didn't know they could hop higher, though.
Being back is good.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 06:41 PM   #12
mscalisi
Unicyclist

They can hop higher because they can hop with their front wheel already elevated, use it to "grab" the next surface, then use leverage to lift the rest of their bike up.

..its way cool to see.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuego
This was basically my point.

I didn't know they could hop higher, though.
mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 07:06 PM   #13
ChangingLINKS.com

Send a message via Yahoo to ChangingLINKS.com
Quote:
Originally posted by johnfoss
My experience with bike trials is only from watching competitions with top-ranked riders. They are definitely better than us.
I disagree. Per capita, unicycle riders vs. bike riders, the unicyclists are far better at trials. Can bikes jump higher and go faster? Sure. But, I would pit the average unicyclist against the average mountain biker/trial rider/bmx any day. Ultimately, it depends on the terrain.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfoss
You should respect the person for who they are, not what they do. [/B]
You and I disagree. You followed this statement citing respect due to people for what the DO. Respecting people for who they are (even family) isn't wise.
ChangingLINKS.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 08:03 PM   #14
e39m5
Unicyclist

dont bikes have straps over the feet?

Go to www.stupidvideos.com and search bike hop

e39m5
e39m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-20, 08:15 PM   #15
markf
movie nerd

Send a message via AIM to markf
any even semi serious rider doesn't run straps. you flat out don't need them (or clipless pedals) when doing jumps/rtials stuff. doing anything else clipless is nice as it helps you pedal nice circles, but it'd just be dangerous for anything trials related.
markf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikes, cyclotrial, unis, unitrial