Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2005-07-08, 05:33 PM   #1
eyal
Unicycologist

California Muni Weekend!

The California Muni Weekend website is up!

www.sbuni.org/2005cmw

Muni Weekend Date: October 14-16

You'll notice a few details on the site are yet to be announced. Please visit the website periodically for updated info, and contact us with questions.

~Your Santa Barbara Muni friends
info@sbuni.org
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 09:25 PM   #2
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Send a message via MSN to Loosemoose
Thats a really good & well designed website, but I've got a suggestion for some other things for the trail rules page. I think a need to look out for other riders well being (stop if they look in difficulty, that sort of thing) should be put across, and also something about maintaining sensible distance, because that annoys me when people ride too close & I make more mistakes that way.

Loose.

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink Floyd
Loosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 11:35 PM   #3
Bandaid
Unicyclist

skill level-

It would be useful if you specified the caliber of terrain and/or rider.
I'm a relatively new rider. I've been riding for probably a year now, but I’ve only been serious about it the past 8 months. I have a 26' sun (cheap) unicycle that I ride on the levees near my house.
Would I have any fun attempting to ride the terrain in SB?

bill

Last edited by Bandaid; 2005-09-04 at 11:36 PM.
Bandaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-05, 01:24 AM   #4
eyal
Unicycologist

Re: skill level-

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandaid
It would be useful if you specified the caliber of terrain and/or rider.
I'm a relatively new rider. I've been riding for probably a year now, but I’ve only been serious about it the past 8 months. I have a 26' sun (cheap) unicycle that I ride on the levees near my house.
Would I have any fun attempting to ride the terrain in SB?

bill
Good question. This has been a topic of conversation in another spot on the forums. Refer to http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...threadid=41736
especially Myocardial's comment on page 2. The short answer is, it IS challenging, but it WILL be fun even for a newbie, as long as you don't mind walking here and there. I suggest taking the next month to practice riding over different kinds of bumps and rocks. Hope to see you!
Old 2005-09-06, 10:32 PM   #5
abbabibble
Fight the system!

Send a message via AIM to abbabibble
Anyone know how to recommend/nominate/suggest a town for the next one? i know there was one in tahoe in 2000, but i was thinking Truckee, CA, might be a good place... nice rocks, and a bunch of places to ride.

either that or Lee Vining/tioga pass up by Mono Lake

Last edited by abbabibble; 2005-09-06 at 10:33 PM.
abbabibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-06, 10:46 PM   #6
eyal
Unicycologist

Quote:
Originally posted by abbabibble
Anyone know how to recommend/nominate/suggest a town for the next one? i know there was one in tahoe in 2000, but i was thinking Truckee, CA, might be a good place... nice rocks, and a bunch of places to ride.

either that or Lee Vining/tioga pass up by Mono Lake
You'll want to talk to John Foss about it.
Old 2005-09-27, 10:14 PM   #7
juggler5
crazy-go-nuts uniker

What about school?

If it's not any inconvenience, I think you should hold the Muni weekend during the summer next year, so that people with school can go for the whole time, instead of just the Saturday and Sunday ride. Being religious, I would only be able to go on the Saturday ride if I went, and it's a six hour drive, so it's just not worth it for me. Wish I could go!
juggler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-28, 12:46 AM   #8
eyal
Unicycologist

Re: What about school?

Quote:
Originally posted by juggler5
If it's not any inconvenience, I think you should hold the Muni weekend during the summer next year, so that people with school can go for the whole time, instead of just the Saturday and Sunday ride. Being religious, I would only be able to go on the Saturday ride if I went, and it's a six hour drive, so it's just not worth it for me. Wish I could go!
Sorry you can't go. Organizers have thought of this before, but there are other unicycle events during the summer that we have to stay away from. Not to mention, summer muni tends to be extremely hot in California. For those reasons, it will probably always be a fall event.
Old 2005-09-28, 12:58 AM   #9
juggler5
crazy-go-nuts uniker

Oh well, I guess I'll try to schedule better next year and maybe skip a few days of school and make it up later. Just out of curiosity, what kind of unicycle would you reccomend bringing? If you're familiar with the torker LX, would it be best to bring a 24 inch or a 20 inch? Your answer will give me a clue of the type of terrain.

Last edited by juggler5; 2005-09-28 at 12:58 AM.
Old 2005-09-28, 01:14 AM   #10
eyal
Unicycologist

Quote:
Oh well, I guess I'll try to schedule better next year and maybe skip a few days of school and make it up later. Just out of curiosity, what kind of unicycle would you reccomend bringing? If you're familiar with the torker LX, would it be best to bring a 24 inch or a 20 inch? Your answer will give me a clue of the type of terrain.
Well, I wouldn't recommend a torker LX at all. But if that's all I had, I would recommend the 24, mostly because you get more leverage out of the longer cranks, and you need the leverage on this terrain. But I've seen a handful of people ride down on a KH 20inch trials, and do quite well. Never tried it myself. I ride a KH 24 with all stock parts and never had a problem.
Old 2005-09-28, 06:51 PM   #11
juggler5
crazy-go-nuts uniker

What about a torker DX 24 inch?
Old 2005-09-28, 07:16 PM   #12
eyal
Unicycologist

Quote:
What about a torker DX 24 inch?
same story. It could be done, but it wouldn't offer maximal strength and comfort, in my opinion. You get what you pay for.
Old 2005-09-28, 10:36 PM   #13
juggler5
crazy-go-nuts uniker

I'm trying to decide what kind of mountain unicycle to get, and I'm on a budget. Is a KH Muni all that much better than a qu-ax? Or even a DX? Everyone says it's better, but I don't see much of a difference except for the quality and structure. What are the adantages?

-Juggler5
Old 2005-09-28, 11:07 PM   #14
eyal
Unicycologist

Quote:
I'm trying to decide what kind of mountain unicycle to get, and I'm on a budget. Is a KH Muni all that much better than a qu-ax? Or even a DX? Everyone says it's better, but I don't see much of a difference except for the quality and structure. What are the adantages?

-Juggler5
Sounds like a great topic for a new thread. Others would have more to say than I.
Old 2005-10-02, 02:03 AM   #15
eyal
Unicycologist

CA Muni Weekend Website now UPDATED

CA Muni Weekend is nearing, and the website has been updated!
Please peruse it in detail: www.sbuni.org/2005cmw.
Some of the (critical) updates include:
-Changes to the schedule
-Improved directions
-List of things not to forget!

I am told that Carpinteria Campground is now sold out. If you reserved a spot with me, you're golden. I have only 1 or 2 spots left. Other options might be available. Ask me if you need help, eyal@sbuni.org.

13 days and counting! It's not too late to register. Can't wait to see you all.
~Your Santa Barbara Muni friends.

Tags
california, muni, weekend