Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-15, 12:09 AM   #16
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I'm going to be adding my own hoop handle to my SW CF saddle (already super light, stiff and very comfy) to replace the much heavier T handle and bracket setup. The handle will be attached to the same 4 holes that normally attach the lift handle. It will be in the perfect configuration that will not require adjustment. This hoop handle is ultralight aluminum and weighs only a few ounces and is actually from a set of Aero bars that cost only $12! Will post pics when completed.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-15 at 12:13 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 01:53 AM   #17
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Just saw the seat (looks like the trial version) in one of RideOne's videos.

I don't understand a word but it seems rather hard on the butt, if what he does after is any indication.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 06:37 AM   #18
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

I've only used it a couple of times (not because I don't like it, but I've mainly riding the bike lately). First time was on a 160km ride, and it worked perfectly fine.
http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/2...hallenge-2018/

Comfort wise it's probably on par with the carbon flatfish saddle, but less adjustable than a regular seat/T-bar combo. It's superlight which I really like, so as long as you don't mind the positioning, it's great for distance. The minimalistic padding means no chafing, and you can change positions really easily.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2019-09-15 at 06:39 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 06:26 PM   #19
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
I'm going to be adding my own hoop handle to my SW CF saddle (already super light, stiff and very comfy) to replace the much heavier T handle and bracket setup. The handle will be attached to the same 4 holes that normally attach the lift handle. It will be in the perfect configuration that will not require adjustment. This hoop handle is ultralight aluminum and weighs only a few ounces and is actually from a set of Aero bars that cost only $12! Will post pics when completed.
Very interested to see this! I did think about just getting some aero bars and figuring out how to bodge them to the underside of my saddle to replace my actual seat handle, sounds nice and lightweight
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 06:45 PM   #20
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

mad4one handle saddle

I saw it on facebook Marco will do a (fake) leather version of the seat for m and l sizing. I think its a great saddle, but in my opinion Marco sells pre prototype version of the saddle and i think its needs some crowdfunding or cooperation with unicycledotcom to be great and matured saddle in such a niche market.
fetzenschorsch
Old 2019-09-15, 11:41 PM   #21
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
I saw it on facebook Marco will do a (fake) leather version of the seat for m and l sizing. I think its a great saddle, but in my opinion Marco sells pre prototype version of the saddle and i think its needs some crowdfunding or cooperation with unicycledotcom to be great and matured saddle in such a niche market.
fetzenschorsch
Yeh hopefully UDC can make it as good as the stadium saddle. Said no one ever.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 12:16 AM   #22
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I went on a 12 mile ride on my "long" Mad4One seat/handle, yesterday. Not a super long ride, but I still felt I was in better shape "down there" than I would have been after riding on a conventional saddle. I ride almost entirely with two hands on the handle, I am supporting a fair amount of my weight on my arms, and I am able to situate myself on the seat exactly as I want. I mentioned before that I use rubber handles for old-people walkers. I situate them where my sit bones go. I am considering adding a third handle right between the two, at the very back of the saddle.

I think the criticism of Mad4One's padding is unjustified. The whole purpose of the saddle/handle is to experiment. And, for something like a saddle, I don't trust the first impressions of riders. Don't expect any change to your setup to improve your riding immediately.

At the last California Muni Weekend, one of the riders had the Mad4One set/handle with a conventional seat attached to it. I really liked that setup. It is probably still lighter than the Shadow. And the bar ends are brought down lower, relative to the seat. I wouldn't mind for my saddle/handle to be a couple inches lower to the ground at the front end.

For future versions of the saddle/handle, I would suggest 1. A bit wider throughout, and 2. A greater degree of forward/backward adjustment in the interface.

Also, I have the brake on my 26" attached to one side of the handle. It's angled into the center, so I can operate it with either hand / both hands. I'm too engineering-challenged to think of a solution where the brake pulls up straight from the center. Small detail...
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 06:15 AM   #23
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Just saw the seat (looks like the trial version) in one of RideOne's videos.

I don't understand a word but it seems rather hard on the butt, if what he does after is any indication.
They say the following:
He feels like he can't land any tricks any more ... that he can't hold it better than his normal seat and lacks of control when landing tricks.
The other guy tells, that it is incredibly painfull, as he sits right with his tailbone on the metal.
They are not enthousiastic about this saddle ... and are in two minds.
They suggest a "life hack": just tape any kind of protector onto the saddle with masking tape and it will instantly be more comfortable.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 08:07 AM   #24
toutestbon
Unicyclist

Hello!

I have one (size M) on my G26 for 1 year. I ride this unicycle almost everyday mainly for commuting, and without bike shorts, sometimes I use if for muni with a bike shorts. Once the adjustments are made, for me, it is one of the best saddles, which allows you to push and pull on the handle thanks to its great rigidity.

Two weeks ago, I asked Marco about the leather version (I want a second one), he told me that it should be released very soon (last week ).

The only negative point I find there is that my butt slips a little forward, I think it's due to the back which is a little too wide for me.
toutestbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 08:11 AM   #25
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Thanks a lot, Eric. Much appreciated

I guess I'll have to buy the base an experiment with different sorts of padding.

@toutestbon:
About the cover, was Marco speaking for the M version or all three of them?
(I'm interestes in the S one, urban stuff)

Last edited by Garp; 2019-09-16 at 08:16 AM.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 11:38 AM   #26
toutestbon
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
@toutestbon:
About the cover, was Marco speaking for the M version or all three of them?
(I'm interestes in the S one, urban stuff)
I didn't ask him about that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch
I saw it on facebook Marco will do a (fake) leather version of the seat for m and l sizing.
toutestbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 11:53 AM   #27
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Tilting issue

I did test it for 1 hour in an hopping training session. I added 2 nuts between the handle saddle e the seatpost. Now I've achieved my usual saddle upfront tilt. I suggest doin/ the same to experiment. However I understand it's me being unable to weight on my hands.
For the cover i try leaving the hole in the center uncovered. It is ok if you sit far back (by adding tilt or by using more weight through hands), but I need to cover the side of the center part, when hopping I squeeze it with my legs and it's too much hard for my skin. A little padding will help also there .
It is definitely a great saddle, it is changing my riding stile and today with it I was able to make my first rev sit in front
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 02:23 PM   #28
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Quote:
Originally Posted by toutestbon View Post
Two weeks ago, I asked Marco about the leather version (I want a second one), he told me that it should be released very soon (last week ).
Just to show you, what we are talking about.
(photo from Marcos facebook page)
I`m curious, how it is fixed to the handle
Attached Images

Old 2019-09-17, 02:59 PM   #29
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
Just to show you, what we are talking about.
(photo from Marcos facebook page)
I`m curious, how it is fixed to the handle
Looks like a vast improvement over the duct tape version.

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2019-09-17, 08:42 PM   #30
MuniAddict

While I'm waiting for my hoop handle I decided to experiment with one of my aerobar tubes which weighs almost nothing and doesn't even register on my digital scale. It's instantly 1.5 lb less then my KH T-handle & brackets. I cut out a lightweight piece of wood to fill the recessed area under the front of the saddle, (Scott Wallis CF base) then drilled two holes through the wood piece and aero tube, and attached it.

I don't mind not having an up or down adjustment since this particular configuration is just right for me. I can always use washers to change the angle if necessary. This setup is actually ideal since I usually only ride with one hand on the handle anyway.

So as pictured, my G 26er weighs in at 15 pounds 10 oz, and when I get my carbon rim, coming later this week, plus double-butted spokes, polyax aluminum nipples, and go tubeless, total weight will be in the 14 pound range! Also upgraded to the Hope tech 3 E4 disc brake and floating rotor.

Name:  20190917_134133.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  211.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190917_133320.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  267.4 KB

Name:  20190917_134056.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  94.6 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-17 at 08:57 PM.

Tags
handle, saddle