Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-23, 09:21 AM   #31
haqreu
Unicyclist

Well, it took me one month and a half (and one tire worn down), but now I can reliably ride figures 8 one-footed. Still can not put the free foot on the crown though.

As a side-effect, I learned to ride (two-feet riding!) figures 8 with Ø < 1,5 m
Now the only thing holding me back from the iuf level 3 is riding with stomach on the seat. It is super weird and painful. My seatpost is too low, I guess. As far as I can understand, stomach riding is designed to be a training for seat-out riding. I can do seat drags, but not the stomach riding
haqreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 01:22 PM   #32
haqreu
Unicyclist

Yay, I can confirm that the IUF levels 3 and 4 are reachable! Here is my one-footed riding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiKcQBxYUs&t=33s

And here is the lvl 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVvO78i1g8

However, to qualify for the level 5 I need to learn wheel walking, and it seems to be a tough one...
Old 2019-07-29, 05:57 PM   #33
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Wow. This is encouraging. Congrats!

I'm feeling so close to riding one-legged.
But I've been feeling that way for a while...

Anyway, thanks for the videos. More motivation
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 06:09 PM   #34
haqreu
Unicyclist

I do not know if it is the case for all people, but I never had any breakthrough while learning one-footed riding. I mean, when I first learned to unicycle normally, after first 10 meters I was immediately able to ride for 50 meters and in few days time 10 km. Learning one-footed was really incremental for me. Each day a couple of revs more, less UPD, more consistent results. No breakthroughs, just slow but steady improvement.

Last edited by haqreu; 2019-07-29 at 06:10 PM.
Old 2019-07-29, 07:24 PM   #35
song
Unicyclist

My experience with one-footed riding was the same: all progress was gradual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haqreu View Post
However, to qualify for the level 5 I need to learn wheel walking, and it seems to be a tough one...
Returning to the pedals is even trickier. In total, it took me 13 months. I probably could have done it much faster, but in hindsight that's what I almost always think after learning a new skill. With this particular skill, being less cautious and taking a few hard falls on my back might have been helpful, but that's not the path I chose, except once when I tried it in the rain.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 07:56 PM   #36
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
In total, it took me 13 months.
13 months... Scary!
Anyways, won't be quicker for me:
1) I do not want any nasty falls
2) Once the heatwave is gone and I can put my jeans back on, I'll switch to UW
Old 2019-07-30, 01:32 AM   #37
song
Unicyclist

Going for short wheel walks, which always became wheel runs after about 4 steps, only took me a day or two. Three months later, I was doing practice sessions of 10 walks of at least 10 steps each. Steady progress, but quite slow. I am sure some people would improve a lot faster.
Old 2019-07-31, 04:04 PM   #38
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

For regular, two-footed riding, we develop a repertoire of techniques to avoid UPDs. Things can get quite sketchy and we still stay on. My experience with one-foot riding, however, is that if I'm leaning too far forward or backward, I'm going to UPD. So, one-footed riding relies on remaining more in-control, while for two-footed, there are a lot of ways to regain control. The pedals on my 20" have gotten so smooth that I no longer feel comfortable practicing one-footed riding. No doubt my technique has slipped back, because I was never that good at one-footed-riding to begin with.

For wheel walking, last week I discovered the key to making the transition back to the pedals. It's not very elegant, but it works. As a prerequisite, I had to get comfortable looking straight down at my feet and pedals while doing the wheel walk. I focus on one of the pedals, watching it slowly make its way around the circle. At some point, that pedal is about to go over the top (12:00). That's when I put the corresponding foot on it. But the pedal hasn't quite reached 12:00, so the final "push" of the remaining-foot-on-the-tire sends the foot on the pedal past the 12:00 point, where it starts pushing the uni forward. Then the second foot comes down. More accurately, the pedal crashes into the second foot.

song, I recall you explained your method of transition in another post.

haqreu, keep up the good work; you're killing it!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 04:12 PM   #39
haqreu
Unicyclist

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Today I have landed quite noticeably on my bum during an attempt of WW. Nothing serious, just a reminder of being more prudent. 100 kg and 40 years are not the same as 40 kg and 14 years for the same bone strength
Old 2019-07-31, 06:22 PM   #40
YONO
You only need one!

Eli Brill also teaches a method to learn to ride one footed in his new "Unicycle School" video series. His approach is to first take your foot of the pedal for just a half rev, then a full rev and so on. Since you already know how to ride one footed for 10 revs, taking you foot of the pedal for just a half rev or a rev won't be a big challenge for you.
YONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 10:02 PM   #41
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
For wheel walking, last week I discovered the key to making the transition back to the pedals. It's not very elegant, but it works. As a prerequisite, I had to get comfortable looking straight down at my feet and pedals while doing the wheel walk. I focus on one of the pedals, watching it slowly make its way around the circle. At some point, that pedal is about to go over the top (12:00). That's when I put the corresponding foot on it. But the pedal hasn't quite reached 12:00, so the final "push" of the remaining-foot-on-the-tire sends the foot on the pedal past the 12:00 point, where it starts pushing the uni forward. Then the second foot comes down. More accurately, the pedal crashes into the second foot.

song, I recall you explained your method of transition in another post.
Congratulations! It's thrilling when that second pedal smacks into the sole of your shoe for the first time, isn't it? My technique has evolved, and things happen more gently now, though I always tried to have the first pedal closer to 2:00 before stepping on it. You don't have to watch that pedal the whole time, though. On a 20" wheel, I go 6 steps and then can look down just for an instant and return to the pedals. 10 steps is also another good window, as is 8 steps on my 29. If I go for a long walk, though, I do generally have to look down when I am preparing to return to the pedals because after 60 steps I have no idea where they will be. For me, at least, it is necessary to not only have the pedals in the right position, but to have slowed way down at the moment they reach that position, so a tiny bit of planning is needed. I slow down so much that I would lose my balance if I stayed at that speed, so I have to make sure the extreme slowness is only happening right at the instant I am stepping on the pedals. Sometimes I do actually start to fall, but I regain my balance when I start to pedal again.
Old 2019-10-06, 08:10 AM   #42
haqreu
Unicyclist

Well, as I have said, I learned to ride one-footed with the free foot in the air because I felt more secure this way, easy to dismount. In the beginning I tried to put the free foot on the crown, and the attempt was followed by a nasty fall.

However, few months later, as I am quite comfortable jiggling the foot in the air, just for fun I tried to park it on the frame. It is not really surprising, but wow. The riding improved immediately and I can cover much longer distances without upd.
Old 2019-10-10, 04:08 AM   #43
slamdance
Unicyclist

One foot, seriously?

Wow, so it is possible.

I guess I have to hit the wall, rails, tennis court nets,...again. That's how I learned to ride the unicycle. This time with one foot.

So, this sounds like a great concentration workout on the unicycle for a short distance or fixed area. I've been doing "off the seat" practice whenever a fence/rail is available. However, one-footing sounds like another thing to try. Since, it takes away the stability of constant pedal tension, one-footing relies a lot of fwd/aft hip action for balance and thigh pressure to keep the unicycle straight. Am I right about that?

Also, I believe if I can "sorta" master this, then I will be able to do a rolling mount because it's the same action.

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-10-10 at 04:10 AM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 05:45 AM   #44
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Wow, so it is possible.
Also, I believe if I can "sorta" master this, then I will be able to do a rolling mount because it's the same action.
Hmm. I'd say that rolling mount is much easier and is not really related to one-footed riding...
Old 2019-10-10, 01:31 PM   #45
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I guess I have to hit the wall, rails, tennis court nets,...again. That's how I learned to ride the unicycle. This time with one foot.
That sounds more dangerous than one-footing into the open. Hanging out on a fence with one foot in the 12:00 position...could cause a bad fall.

I suggest you approach one-footed riding from "both ends". One end is the "go for it" method where you ride forward, remove one foot and hope for the best. The other end is to practice skills related to one-foot riding, such as one-foot idling, one-foot still-stands, slow mounts and slow, graceful dismounts off the back. What all those things have in common is that they indicate the position where one foot is removed from the pedal.

I learned one-footed riding after learning one-foot idling. I kept making the idles bigger until I went over the top. I'm sure there are a lot of more-talented riders on the forum who could just "go for it."

I never mastered one-footed with the foot *off* the crown. I consider one-footing to be easier with the foot *on* the crown. But others have learned differently.

I feel more comfortable one-foot riding with somewhat grippier pedals. Unfortunately, for practically everything else, I like pedals that are somewhat smoother (making foot adjustments easier). My current pedals are pretty worn down, and that is my excuse to *not* practice one-footed.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onefooted, riding