Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-10, 09:11 PM   #16
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haqreu View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience! One more question: when I read how-tos on one-footed riding, it is recommended to put the other foot on the unicycle frame. I do that for one-footed idling, and it improves the stability, but when I tried to do this for riding, I fell immediately. So I practice with my other foot in the air, and I always land on my feet, not a single miss in thousands of attempts. UPDs happen pretty quickly and I simply do not have time to remove the foot from the crown to land properly... What is the trick?
I ride with one foot on the crown, and I've never had any problems. I keep one hand on the saddle handle, and push the uni out from under me when I start to lose it, which might help getting that foot down.

I think bailing out early is an important unicycle skill; when I was a beginner I tended to go "down with the ship" a lot more, partly because I stayed on too long, partly because I was slower to recognize when the ship was going down.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 09:31 PM   #17
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I ride with one foot on the crown, and I've never had any problems. I keep one hand on the saddle handle, and push the uni out from under me when I start to lose it, which might help getting that foot down.
What foot comes to the ground first? For me it is simultaneous or the free foot first. I am scared to hell to remove the only foot from the pedal as the unicycle tends to shoot out from under me.
haqreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 10:08 PM   #18
haqreu
Unicyclist

Just for fun, I kept track of my first week progress.

Here is a video of my first day:
https://youtu.be/Ky_XJTd1qUo

I simply tried to remove one foot while riding. Here is the histogram of the number of revolutions I have managed to do on the first day:

Name:  day1.png
Views: 160
Size:  35.7 KB

On the second day I beat my record by 1 revolution and no 0 revs attempts!
Name:  day2.png
Views: 160
Size:  35.8 KB

3rd day seems to be a regress after the 2nd
Name:  day3.png
Views: 154
Size:  37.5 KB

On the 4th day I have almost doubled my record!
Name:  day4.png
Views: 158
Size:  35.4 KB

And later on not much record improvement, however the average improves slightly.
5th day:
Name:  day5.png
Views: 158
Size:  36.6 KB

6th day:
Name:  day6.png
Views: 156
Size:  35.5 KB

7th day:
Name:  day7.png
Views: 157
Size:  37.6 KB

And the trend continues smoothly, no real breakthroughs as it was with the regular unicylcing. 30 days later my average is at ~10 revs. From time to time I still completely miss the ride (0/1/2 revs), and the current record is ~40 revs.
Old 2019-07-11, 01:08 AM   #19
song
Unicyclist

Wow, your Day 1 is really impressive, and you have managed to do something that I still cannot: one-footed riding with the other foot in the air. I will have to give it another try.

Now that you are going a few revolutions, you will improve even if your practice sessions are very short because you are getting some real practice every time. For learning new skills, I am only at my best for the first half hour or so.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 06:27 AM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Thanks for the vid of your first day riding. By looking at how you tumble off when you lose balance and like you said you always land on your feet, I might give it a go. It must be easier than riding a UW.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 01:12 PM   #21
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
What foot comes to the ground first? For me it is simultaneous or the free foot first. I am scared to hell to remove the only foot from the pedal as the unicycle tends to shoot out from under me.
I did some riding, looks like I do both:

- Dismounts off the front, I land on the pedal foot. It slides naturally off the pedal as the unicycle moves away behind me.

- Dismounts off the back, I use the free foot. All my planned dismounts are off the back, but the unplanned ones didn't seem any trickier. It feels the same as my normal dismount off the back, really.

And I never land both feet together.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 01:20 PM   #22
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm aware that gliding is mostly done from wheel walk downhill, where peeps sit on the seat with both hands out. The chance of the uni slipping away from you, where you end up sitting on ur bum is I think bigger than having both hands on the seat and both feet off the pedals. with both feet in the air the chance of landing on your feet when you lose balance is much bigger. On youtube I've seen both ways, but naturally from peeps who were very experienced.

I had a nasty fall last year with a freewheel unicycle, where the uni shot away under me and I hadn't learned to use the brake for counter balance and I prefer not to experience that again, so I won't focus on wheel walk. I don't see this happen for (n)one-foot riding.
Old 2019-07-11, 07:08 PM   #23
Setonix
Unicyclist

Jeez ur doing very weĺl for a first day. I am trying now and the thought of taking my foot off already makes me hop off. Respect and a bit of jealousy
Old 2019-07-11, 07:14 PM   #24
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Jeez ur doing very weĺl for a first day. I am trying now and the thought of taking my foot off already makes me hop off. Respect and a bit of jealousy
Are you comfortable at one-footed idling? I'd say it is an important prerequisite. And I have spent some time before not taking the foot off, but really lightening the pressure during 1 rev. I was scared to do that until I understood (at one-footed idling) that the unicycle wont shoot from under me if I apply all my weight at the down pedal. So I can try to do a rev, and then brake the unicycle by applying excessive weight if needed.

Last edited by haqreu; 2019-07-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2019-07-11, 07:35 PM   #25
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Are you comfortable at one-footed idling? I'd say it is an important prerequisite. And I have spent some time before not taking the foot off, but really lightening the pressure during 1 rev. I was scared to do that until I understood (at one-footed idling) that the unicycle wont shoot from under me if I apply all my weight at the down pedal. So I can try to do a rev, and then brake the unicycle by applying excessive weight if needed.
To be honest I can't even idle. I never saw the need for it as I would just as easily step off and static mount again.

As I rarely ride my 19" trials uni, I decided to first ride about an hour on it through the park and through town, occasionally making some hop and riding again, also continuously shifting my feet, as especially my right foot is too close to the crank so it rubs my shoe.

Since you first learned to one-foot idle, as you said, you already went through the part of letting go with one foot. Did you do the one foot idling while holding on to something?

The only little victory I made was ride off a kerb with the trials. I think it is easier with bigger wheels and I expect the uni to start bouncing, but with some speed it was much easier. I've done this before, but some exercises I will just have to keep doing, or I lose confidence.

So all in all I spent 1.5 hour on the trials and it felt like a good work-out even though I didn't once manage to take off my foot :-)
Old 2019-07-17, 06:59 PM   #26
haqreu
Unicyclist

Setonix, (imho) idling improves greatly your control of the unicycle on low speed, and it is a good start for agressive braking.

Yes, I learnt to idle one-footed (with the other foot on the crown) by holding to a lamppost, but I'd not recommend doing so without learning to idle reliably two-footed.

By the way, my average run now ~20 revs and I do not even care to count anymore, I just know the size of the tennis court
Old 2019-07-17, 08:05 PM   #27
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

Quote:
I disagree. Not that it's the perfect way or anything, but this winter I did quite a few indoor sessions with 2 other unicyclists. One could one-foot idle, although I was generally a more experienced unicyclist (ok, mostly from muni and downhill which is different). But I simply couldn't seem to get started with one-foot idling (my 2-foot idling was pretty good).

But one-footed riding I started gradually and made progress. After I could already ride one-footed for 20+ revs (strangely on my right foot only), I then started one-foot idling (strangely, then on my LEFT foot) and made pretty fast progress. Then I added right-foot idling. But left one-footed riding is still way hard for me. Strange.

For me I have the strange circumstance that I'm right-footed so much more coordinated on the right, but my right leg is weaker due to a torn ACL (repaired after 2 surgeries). I think that explains some of the strange right-left things. I suspect I could 2-foot idle better on the left side as the right leg was too weak, but then needed to learn one-footed with my more coordinated right leg...

After a fair bit of practice my left one-foot idle is pretty good (I think my record was 100 revs) and my right one-foot not bad (I think my record was 80) but my average much lower than left, as my right is just not so strong (although unicycling and in particular one-footed have helper build my right leg up, as in other sports like cycling I was favoring the left and compensating so the right stayed weak). Right one-foot riding is ok at 30-40 (can ride circle but not quite figure eight). But left one-foot is still horrible with only 2-3 revs!!! I think it's mostly mental!
26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX

Last edited by MUCFreerider; 2019-07-17 at 08:10 PM.
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 08:09 PM   #28
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

idling

Quote:
Setonix, (imho) idling improves greatly your control of the unicycle on low speed, and it is a good start for agressive braking.

Yes, I learnt to idle one-footed (with the other foot on the crown) by holding to a lamppost, but I'd not recommend doing so without learning to idle reliably two-footed.

By the way, my average run now ~20 revs and I do not even care to count anymore, I just know the size of the tennis court
Also agree that idiling improves a lot. Even in muni it's really helpful: I can idle on my 29 on DH trails, often idle at the top of something steep to asses the ideal line and then go. And idle with backwards riding is also helpful, indoors freestyle obviously and high jump, but also for muni.

Oh: I can only one-foot with my foot on the crown. With my leg hanging I can only do a few revs and then lose my balance.
26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 08:51 PM   #29
Setonix
Unicyclist

I haven't spent much time on learning tricks with the uni since I got married and my wife moved to NL with her daughter. She is Thai. She only "allows" me 1 trip a week, unless of course I ride to work by uni, which I occasionally do. With only 1 trip, I mostly choose to just ride 20ish kms or shorter if I go offroad.
Idling I could do indoors, though then my wife will complain that I have the uni in the house. And yeah she is quite bossy :-). Once our daughter is a bit older, I might get her to try and ride too.
Old 2019-07-17, 09:02 PM   #30
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
I disagree.
Well, to be more precise, I'd say that (normal) idling is an important prerequisite. One-footed idling gave me a psychological comfort of knowing that I won't break any bones if I'll let one foot off the pedal. And indeed, I did not fell even once in thousands of attempts.

Tags
onefooted, riding