Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-10-22, 06:49 PM   #16
DrD
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMo View Post
If I have an opportunity to get a used Kris Holm 29" MUni -- which is more than what I need, but is priced at an affordable $300 and from photos looks to be in good shape -- should I take advantage of it?!
From what you say, that sounds like a good deal, I would definitely consider it.

I am 5’7”, so about the same height as you, I have a 29” Oracle that I bought second hand on here, it is fine for size. I moved on to it from learning on a 24” Nimbus, so you will probably be fine going to that from your 20”.

If you are set on a bigger wheel, a 32” is also an option, but they are probably even harder to find used. I have one and again it is fine size-wise. I think a 36” would be too big for me to be honest. An option worth considering for 36” is a Nimbus Nightfox — the legs of the frame adjust on it rather than the seat post so it is better for shorter riders (since you maybe can’t get the seat low enough on a conventional 36” frame). Look at YouTube for some videos (eg. Unigeezer has a Nightfox video and unimart rides one in some of his videos as far as recall).

At this stage I would say that stepping up to a 36” (forgive the pun) is probably too much and the 29 KH muni would be a good option, you may be more comfortable going to the 26” you mention though — unfortunately there is no ‘right’ answer.

Last edited by DrD; 2019-10-22 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
DrD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-22, 07:50 PM   #17
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Been doing more research, called Unicycle.com for some guidance. They also suggest 26".

I am heading out to a nearby bicycle shop where they have a Raleigh 26" so I can get a better idea of size. They also have a 36" (just for the sake of comparison)

My guess is I will get a Nimbus II 26" -- after discussing ideas, seems like for my purposes at this point I do not need a MUni. I'll let you know what I think after I look at the Raleigh.
A 26er is a good wheel size for riding around the neighbourhood with. To be honest, there's very little difference between a 24 and 26, except 26 is a bit faster and better for a little more distance (distance on smaller wheels gets annoying, though 24" isn't too bad) and 24 is easier to mount and a touch more maneuverable.

Ps. I'm probably a fraction shorter than you. I'm approx 166cm. (~5' 5.5"). 36" is definitely NOT my go-to uni, 24" is. For a while 26" was but I currently have to take my uni on 2 trains to get to work with no storage areas. I ride just under a mile (1.3km) to my train station each day in each direction. Either of the 24 or 26 does that job well.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-10-22 at 08:00 PM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-23, 12:31 AM   #18
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
If I have an opportunity to get a used Kris Holm 29" MUni -- which is more than what I need, but is priced at an affordable $300 and from photos looks to be in good shape -- should I take advantage of it?
Sounds quite reasonable unless it is an old model with an Onza hub. Cranks are no longer available for this interface.

They are easily recognised as the cranks are made from steel tube.
Old 2019-10-23, 05:36 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
My TerraTrike Tandem Rover is something like 10' long and at least 70lbs. (I tried to upload a photo and it is TOO MUCH TROUBLE to attach anything to this thread.)
Photos work, but they can't be over a certain size (though some people seem to unintentionally get around this), which can make it a bigger hassle right there. I just Googled "TerraTrike Tandem" and there it was.

And also a link to a video clip of one inside a minivan! I was quite surprised! The TerraTrike seems less elaborate than some of the other types I've seen, that probably require elaborate roof racks, pick-up trucks, etc. to move around. Putting that on in a minivan makes a HUGE difference, at least to us minivan owners! (Note: all full-sized American minivans have about the same interior dimensions. Only detail one might have to worry about is space between the seats) All I would have to do in my Sienna is take out my center console between the front seats, which unlatches easily. Someday my wife and I may be down to riding one of those, hopefully when we're much older. She rides a recumbent already, but I'm sticking with the unicycle until my body falls apart (or until I can no longer keep up...).
Quote:
Anyway, the person in front controls all the steering and brakes while the "stoker" in back pedals independently. This is a perfect activity for me to do with my son, given all his various physical issues.
That independent rear pedaling sounds like a key feature for your needs. Regular tandems require you to pedal "in tandem" which could be difficult in your situation.

Used KH 29": Like mentioned above, sounds like a good deal unless it's one of the older types. If it has a blue, aluminum frame, you're good to go. Bonus: It's also fully capable of riding rough terrain, big drops or pretty much anything you might decide to ride it on in the future.
Quote:
Wow, it's easier to learn now than in the days before BetaMax, VHS, DVD, and You Tube!
Yup, basically THE INTERNET. All the video cassettes in the world weren't helpful in those days, since there were almost none on the market for learning the unicycle.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 04:11 AM   #20
HiMo
Riding "Unike" since 1975

Thanks for all the advice and ideas!

Well... I liked the 26" as far as size, but not entirely impressed with the Raleigh. After further contemplation and research, I ordered a 26" Club from Unicycles.com.

I simply need more practice on a 26" no frills uni to figure out whether I would even want/benefit from a Nimbus.

My impression of the 26" I tried (which could not be properly adjusted to my height) was that it was far more "stable" than the 20". I liked the feel of the larger wheel!

As I wait for my 26" to arrive, I have been practicing on the 20" Sun: a little bit every day, and seeing improvement each time. I'm working on idling.

There are several challenges I can see ahead: I have never learned to do curbs, even with a slope, not a step. There are curbs aplenty in my neighborhood -- also the ability to avoid them. I'd like to be able to take them on and not feel I need to avoid them. Additionally, there is a concrete path to a park near my house. It has a culvert with about a 4 ft steep drop and 4 ft steep rise, separated by about 20'. I'd like to be able to eventually ride this. I rode over to it today and made zero progress on it. Will that kind of challenge be EASIER or more DIFFICULT with 26"?

Here are a few dumb questions:
• I never before used protective gear. Now, I have a helmet I use for biking. Would it be wise at my age and considering potential injuries to wear knee pads, etc?
• I have basically no place to "practice." No mailbox or fence. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for where (or how) to practice inclines and downhill?
• I'm reading with interest about handlebars. Would a handlebar give me additional stability to tackle the uphills and downhills? I feel like it would be great just for repositioning!

Once you know how, you never forget.
HiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 05:13 AM   #21
slamdance
Unicyclist

From no riding in 30 years to a 36"?

My congrats to the rider who posted this, but I'm curious.
Who else has done this?
Who else has "attempted" this and any injuries?

I ride a 24" and the thought of going 36" is scary to me?
I mount using rock back/idling, but a big wheel and short crank sounds like I need a lot of power.

Anyways, to the original discussion "author".
Don't go cheap on a unicycle. I thought $300 for a unicycle was sticker shock when I first started(with $50 amazon "sun" brand), but I quickly ended up spending $120 for 20" Torker. A solid unicycle for learning and "falling down" a lot. Once, I "got it"....I was got a $300 nimbus muni...worth every dollar.
Keep on...
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 06:56 AM   #22
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
From no riding in 30 years to a 36"?
Who else has done this?
I went from a 24" to a 36" with a 50 year break. If someone can ride a 24" or even 20" they have the basic idea down and should be able to ride a 36". If you think about it the time and effort to first learn to learn ride a unicycle is much greater then the effort needed to change from one size to another. They are all basically the same. I actually learned on a 12" that I made out of a tricycle wheel.

Leaning to free mount a 36" may take some effort but for me it was just a matter of putting in the time. I never was really proficient at mounting a 24" and currently am better at free mounting a 36" then a smaller uni because I put more time in on the 36". I've sustained no training/work limiting injuries caused by riding a unicycle. Just a few bumps and scrapes that safety gear would have prevented.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 09:30 AM   #23
Gockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Who else has done this?

I ride a 24" and the thought of going 36" is scary to me?
I mount using rock back/idling, but a big wheel and short crank sounds like I need a lot of power.

Anyways, to the original discussion "author".
Don't go cheap on a unicycle. I thought $300 for a unicycle was sticker shock when I first started(with $50 amazon "sun" brand), but I quickly ended up spending $120 for 20" Torker. A solid unicycle for learning and "falling down" a lot. Once, I "got it"....I was got a $300 nimbus muni...worth every dollar.
Keep on...
If you think the thought of going to a 36” is scary then maybe try going 26” then 29”. Or just go straight to a 29er. I went from 26” to 36” and I think in 500km+ I’ve only had 2 UPDs while riding on the 36er, both caused by slippery ground (ground with loose surface). Once I’m up I’m generally fine. On smaller unis I’ve had more UPDs (caused by unforeseen bumps usually). Guess I’m quite weary of having a UPD on the big wheel.

Can’t mount the thing to save my life though.
Old 2019-10-25, 09:51 AM   #24
Gockie

Quote:

Well... I liked the 26" as far as size, but not entirely impressed with the Raleigh. After further contemplation and research, I ordered a 26" Club from Unicycles.com.

I simply need more practice on a 26" no frills uni to figure out whether I would even want/benefit from a Nimbus.

My impression of the 26" I tried (which could not be properly adjusted to my height) was that it was far more "stable" than the 20". I liked the feel of the larger wheel!

As I wait for my 26" to arrive, I have been practicing on the 20" Sun: a little bit every day, and seeing improvement each time. I'm working on idling.

There are several challenges I can see ahead: I have never learned to do curbs, even with a slope, not a step. There are curbs aplenty in my neighborhood -- also the ability to avoid them. I'd like to be able to take them on and not feel I need to avoid them. Additionally, there is a concrete path to a park near my house. It has a culvert with about a 4 ft steep drop and 4 ft steep rise, separated by about 20'. I'd like to be able to eventually ride this. I rode over to it today and made zero progress on it. Will that kind of challenge be EASIER or more DIFFICULT with 26"?

Here are a few dumb questions:
• I never before used protective gear. Now, I have a helmet I use for biking. Would it be wise at my age and considering potential injuries to wear knee pads, etc?
• I have basically no place to "practice." No mailbox or fence. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for where (or how) to practice inclines and downhill?
• I'm reading with interest about handlebars. Would a handlebar give me additional stability to tackle the uphills and downhills? I feel like it would be great just for repositioning!
Clubs are great! I have a 24 and it’s super solid and feels very reliable. One tip. If your club seat is uncomfortable, change it.

By the way, you sound like my kind of lady.

As to your questions....
Curbs. I had a fear of curbs too. I think give it time and you might get over your fear. Remember to hold onto your seat. I think being able to stand up while riding is a good thing too if you want to be able to ride over a curb, work on being able to do that consistently?

Culvert: I think it will be the same on a 20” or 26”, but the 26 will be less annoying cause less pedalling will be needed. Use longer cranks for control and power, and then it’s up to your leg strength.

Protective gear: I like to cover my shoulders and knees (so 3/4 length pants and T-shirts). I wear wrist protectors too because you never know if you might UPD, (unforeseen bumps usually) and I wear a helmet cause I’m in Australia and the rule is bike riders here have to wear a helmet. I have a helmet with built in front, rear and side lights so it’s good for riding home if it’s dark.

If I am doing a huge tour then I’d wear elbow guards and knee pads.

Practising inclines and descents: Explore your neighbourhood, there must be somewhere?

Handlebars. I think handlebars make more sense on a 29 or 36 inch wheel. You are probably not going to go touring on a 26.
Otherwise, I would say be able to ride well with 2 hands on your uni before getting a handlebar.

To be honest, the 26” uni was my first uni I felt good riding with 2 hands on the handle at the same time. It wasn’t a squirrelly wheel, and it wasn’t a uni that was too big to control either. It feels solid. It required more intention from me to turn than a 20” or 24”, but it’s in a good way. I could transition from the 36er to the 26 well, but initially going from the the 36er to 24”, the 24” felt too easy to turn, and it was just overly responsive. With a little more practise, that was no longer an issue, but it was a bit weird for a couple of rides.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-10-25 at 09:53 AM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 01:40 PM   #25
HiMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
By the way, you sound like my kind of lady.
Thank you for all the great advice, Gockie. It's nice to have another lady here to get perspective. Helmet with lights ... how great is that? I got a bunch of rechargeable LED lights for the Tandem Rover, but a helmet with lights sounds even better.

My neighborhood has both its pros and cons. The wide streets and lack of traffic means lots of space for riding and UPDs. It has been great for the enormous Tandem Rover, which by the way gets just about as many comments and stares as a unicycle. But the con is that I do not have a mailbox. And the playground about a half mile away doesn't not have anything terrific to hold onto for practice. I did use a streetlamp post that was close to the street for idling yesterday. The other day I got out a ladder and put it in the street for idling. Ladder at curb could potentially help me roll over the curb repeatedly to practice that skill.

The 26" is on the delivery truck according to the messages coming to my phone! Woo hoo!

If I did not say already, I have pre-existing knee issues. Right knee has torn meniscus (cannot be repaired, but could be cleaned up surgically), Baker's cyst (under control), osteoarthritis, and a now-healed ACL sprain. Knee replacement was suggested about 8 months ago, but 2 months of committed rehab got me back to mostly normal usage. I'm noticing it is slightly irritated now from all the mounts and dismounts. (I'm at about a 25% success rate on my mounts, but getting more reliable every day.) I need to be more committed to doing strengthening and stretching exercises before and after riding.

Old 2019-10-25, 01:47 PM   #26
HiMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
... unfortunately there is no ‘right’ answer.
If there is anything I have learned here in the past few days: There is no right answer!

As in many situations, you'd LIKE for somebody to hand you the right answer so you don't have to spend the time working through it, but figuring out what is the best solution for you is part of the journey. It takes time and effort.

A quote from a favorite children's book: "You can't go over it; you can't go under it. You've got to go through it!"

Old 2019-10-25, 01:56 PM   #27
HiMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Someday my wife and I may be down to riding one of those, hopefully when we're much older. She rides a recumbent already, but I'm sticking with the unicycle until my body falls apart (or until I can no longer keep up...).
Some folks call the TerraTrike Tandem Rover with IPS "The Marriage Saver." Partners can ride without argument about pace. Usually there's one person who WANTS to take on the responsibility of "driving" the contraption and a passenger who can be as involved or uninvolved as they wish.

The Terratrike has its limitations due to the length. (A big speed bump or the aforementioned culvert are impossible to navigate because the second set of pedals will not have clearance.) But in terms of being able to enjoy riding with a partner quite safely, it's fantastic.

Old 2019-10-25, 07:29 PM   #28
HiMo

The Club 26" arrived. It was easily put together. I installed the shorter seat post. About an hour of practicing riding and mounts. Started with curb mounts using a ladder. Graduated to static mounts with ladder, then curb mount with no ladder. Not quite to the point where I can static mount without the curb. BUT reliably using curb to get going without any issue.

Able to ride without much difficulty. After practicing awhile, I went back to the 20" and realized

1) Post was too low on the 20"! So I used the longer seat post that I can't use on the 26" to raise the seat.
2) Now the 20" seems so light and maneuverable! Mounting the 20" is suddenly no problem at all.
3) Good Lord, the seat on the Club is uncomfortable. Maybe I will move the Sun seat over to the Club?

I think this 26" will keep me entertained for awhile!

Question: If I'm trying to learn smooth curbs, is it best to practice with a squishy tire? Right now I've got the tire on the 26" at 40 PSI (It's recommended 40-55 PSI.)

Having lots of fun on this fall day.

Old 2019-10-25, 08:33 PM   #29
johnsjaunts
Unicyclist

Quote:

Try a local elementary/middle/high school. That's where I would go to first practice when I was learning. Huge parking lots of open space with few cars and little traffic. Curbs were present on the sidewalks leading into school as well as staircases to help me learn hopping techniques and staying on the saddle when I go over a bump or drop down. Walls were also nearby since the facade of the school was right next to the sidewalks. Look out for those for practice mounting if you want. Lamp posts were also present in the parking lot allowing me to mount before I could free mount and ride around the open space.

My elementary school had an asphalt and grass hill so I was able to practice going up and down on both terrains. Look out for some schools that have these. I've also used wheelchair ramps to practice inclines.

I lived close enough to my middle school and elementary school, as well as neighborhood park, to be able to ride there as a warm up before practicing all the skills I wanted to. Hope this helps
johnsjaunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 08:42 PM   #30
johnsjaunts
Unicyclist

Quote:

I have basically no place to "practice." No mailbox or fence. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for where (or how) to practice inclines and downhill?
I would suggest trying to go to a local elementary/middle/highschool. Plenty of open parking lot space with little traffic and few cars. Mine also had light/lamp posts to hold onto to practice mounting/idling/wheelwalking/riding backwards etc.

There were sidewalks present leading into school that allowed me to practice hopping curbs and staying on the saddle when going off of a height or hitting a bump. I used to get sent flying. Staircases were also abundant if you want to practice going up or down those.

My elementary and high school were built on hills allowing me to practice going up and down grass and paved hills. Wheelchair ramps work too. One thing I noticed after upgrading past a 26in tire was how easily a the unicycle can get away from you going down a hill. Without a brake, it takes some concentration and leg strength to fight gravity and the tire rotation. 26 should be fine though.

I used to live close enough to my school as well as a local park allowing me to ride there as a warmup and then practice whatever I wanted to do that day. If you go on a weekend, it should be fairly empty.

Hope this helps. Best of luck
johnsjaunts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendations, unicycle