Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-23, 10:45 PM   #76
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLeftFeet View Post

Oh sorry. I am suppose to move to the main discussion? I will look for a newbie"ish" discussion in the main forum and then try to insert myself .
I think there's nothing wrong with what you did, you introduced yourself. Then naturally it led to the conversation of what new riders should do, as that's what you are.

Only issue is some people may not use the "new posts" function and only look in the forum sub sections of interest to them. (Which means they won't read this thread).
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-07, 01:04 PM   #77
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Freemount.

Ok .. its kinda tiring to walk back to my mounting column. So what is the easiest method of free mounting?

1- I tried the method as per Chris Huriwai's video. Cranks horizontal, little weight on rear pedals.

2- Then there is the UniMyra's method. Seems to be most sensible.

3- Also the roll back mount method where cranks are most vertical.

I have tried #1 and #2. No preference so far and no success for both. The only weird thing for #2 is one hand on the saddle. Since I have been learning to ride no hands on saddle, from free mount to ride, I have to transition my one hand.

Also what crank positions is recommended? Horizontal, 45 degrees?
TwoLeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-07, 01:34 PM   #78
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Oops. I looked again at Chris Hueiwai's video. He did not say no weight on rear pedals. This is the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8iPrDfTs0
Old 2019-10-08, 01:34 AM   #79
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Ok .. its kinda tiring to walk back to my mounting column. So what is the easiest method of free mounting?
A 20" may be too small for a tire grab mount. If you can do it, however, you will learn a great lesson in getting your center of gravity forward while mounting. The tire grab mount helped me transition to the static mount.

I know this is not very popular, but what about the 6:00 mount? You will have to lower your seat to do it. I like it, because it can be done very slowly, with the focus being on staying balanced while mounting. Beginners, I think, tend to rush other mounts, and that creates the possibility of missing the second pedal and having a bad fall. Yes, the 12:00 foot will be in a more difficult position to ride away with, but whatever, the mount is safer. It's not a matter of how many times you ride away from the 6:00 mount; what's more important is how slowly you perform it, how relaxed you are, the fact that you are improving your balance. I think it helps to hold onto the seat with one hand during the 6:00 mount. The hand can be removed after mounting / while you're riding away. Unfortunately, once you ride away from the 6:00 mount, the seat is going to feel too low.

I think we need to experiment with different mounts, whether or not they're "right". Each mount teaches us bits and pieces of technique we can recombine later into a "proper" mount. Also, we need to practice mounting for its own sake, not just as a means of getting to ride forward. This takes time and patience.

Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 11:26 AM   #80
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvszqna1BQ

This one yes? I will give it a try. Somehow I think all mounts needs maybe hundreds of tries before it "clicks" for me. Oh boy .

Next, I need to figure out how to turn.
Old 2019-10-08, 01:20 PM   #81
Richard C
cautious n00b

Quote:

This one yes? I will give it a try. Somehow I think all mounts needs maybe hundreds of tries before it "clicks" for me. Oh boy .

Well done on your progress! You may be closer to turning and freemounting than you think.

You could try the assisted mount with a block or low step behind you. (I think it's called a curb mount or backstop mount). Video here. This is just a stopgap until you can freemount.

If you learn this mount, you could put a thick piece of wood at the other end of your practice area from your mounting column. It's a lot easier to get than a static freemount, and it will help towards it. Don't stop trying for the freemount, one day it will suddenly "click".
Old 2019-10-08, 01:27 PM   #82
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:

I agree with your "hundreds of tries" remark. That's the way things worked for me. On several occasions, after practicing a mount many, many times and finally getting it once, on the next day I nailed the mount on the first try.

The mount in the video is a roll back. I was thinking more of pedaling forward with the second foot, but I realize that is even more difficult. But still worth trying.

I suggest you approach turning the same way as mounting: by whatever means possible. It's not going to be pretty at first. The technique you use to turn as a beginner will not be the same as the technique you use later on. There are a lot of good discussions about turning on this forum. Unfortunately, they are mostly buried in newbie threads.

Good luck!
Old 2019-10-08, 01:43 PM   #83
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Thank you Richard C.

I was reading your post "Choosing my second uni". In that post, there are some comments on how to turn. I am reading that part and trying to digest. I tried turning to my right maybe 3/4 tries and end up UPDed, or swerving straight into a column. Ha ha. Anyways, nothing on this unicycle is natural to me. On a bicycle, I don't even have to think. Freemounting makes me wish I was a woman. It will take a long time for me to learn this.

elpuebloUNIdo,

Oh, I thought you meant the roll back mount at 6 o'clock. Pedalling straight forward will be much harder no? Well, I have not tried that nor the roll back.
Old 2019-10-09, 03:34 AM   #84
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
elpuebloUNIdo,

Oh, I thought you meant the roll back mount at 6 o'clock. Pedalling straight forward will be much harder no? Well, I have not tried that nor the roll back.
I have been doing the 6:00 mount entirely SIF (seat in front). That allows me to move my mass forward during the mount, making it easier to push the 12:00 pedal forward. I can imagine how much harder that is with the conventional SI (seat-in) version.
Old 2019-10-21, 10:48 PM   #85
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

I practiced freemount. I'm doing the Chris Huriwai method, which is the same as UniMyra method except no hands on saddle. Did 100 reps resulting in ONE success. Managed to cycle away ONE time. Yessss!!!! Progress!!!!
Old 2019-10-23, 09:00 PM   #86
song
Unicyclist

To get my first free mount, I practiced jumping over a pedal with one foot while resting the other foot on the other pedal. Eventually, I managed to get my jumping foot to land on its pedal instead of on the ground, but getting used to jumping all the way over the pedal at first was how I broke out of the "box" of just making timid little one-footed hops. My first free mount was probably more of a rollback mount than a static mount, but I am not sure. At that time, I had not yet discovered this forum, and had never heard of either of these terms.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 10:39 PM   #87
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

I am up to 3 successful mounts now. I set myself for 100 tries each time, but my squeezed gonuts says no more much much earlier.
Old 2019-10-28, 05:55 AM   #88
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Free mount, from 3/100 down to 0/100 (two days) and now 6/100. Progress.
Old 2019-10-29, 08:23 AM   #89
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
I am up to 3 successful mounts now. I set myself for 100 tries each time ..
I used the same method when learning to freemount. After 7000 tries I defined my mounts succesfull (which did not mean that I could do it 100 times out of 100, and I still can't). But at that point I stopped counting ...
Good luck with your training!

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-30, 11:31 AM   #90
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Thank you Sanne. Sometimes when I fail and fail to mount, I'm thinking of switching methods. Maybe try UniGeezer's method or the roll back mount, or even switch from left foot on back pedal to right foot. Nuts!!

As per the saying ... "too many cooks" ....

Tags
omg