Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-11-19, 10:12 AM   #16
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jener8or View Post
I don't think the Dominator2 rims have any eyelet offset or angled drilling.
You're probably right. I've e-mailed UDC to make sure.

Quote:
What I try to pay attention to is on a USED hub, try to match the previous lacing pattern, so it doesn't create any more wear marks from the spokes. As long as you can see the hub label in the valve hole, you'll be just fine.
I wasn't aware of this. I started with a random spokehole on the hub.

Quote:
Where you have to take it into account is in spoke length. Some spoke calculators don't account for offset or asymmetrical spoke beds, so you need to find out if your math or your resource does and adjust spoke length accordingly.
I use the UDC spoke calculator and went up to the nearest mm. That seems to be the correct length for the way I laced the wheel.

Quote:
If the wheel has a label, you should be able to read it from the drive side.
There's a print that says "Nimbus unicycles" which I put on the left side

Quote:
As long as you can get to the valve stem, have fairly even spoke tension, and can look down through the rim at the spoke nipples and see that the spokes are all in the bottom of the nipple (or they will break) and not too long (you can get away with this on a double walled wheel or a single wall with a dremel tool
I think got this right. The spokes are not quite in the bottom of the nipples, but almost.

The video was a little bit hard to follow without a wheel to build. I will get more infomation on lacing before my next build. I will leave this wheel as it is since no one has adviced me not to.
Old 2017-11-19, 11:14 AM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

I'm not sur about the nimbus dominator 2 rim (I don't have it by my side right now but can take a look at it tomorrow), I rather believe it has an offset (barely noticeable but still there).
I mean you have a right-handed rim or a left-handed one and you have to take it in account to know if the key spoke will be the one just after the valve hole or if you have to put it a hole away from the valve hole(sheldon guide).
Also the right flange must be connected to the rim holes of the right side.

About the schlumpf hub, if you have a first generation hub, the flange holes are alternatively filed on one side only, so they are meant to have the spoke going through it from the inside or the outside, if you don't respect this you can brake it, but I don't remember if you have a recent hub or not.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-19, 06:41 PM   #18
Jener8or
Unicyclist

I looked at my Dominator2 rim, and I would lace it as posted and the illustration showed earlier (key spoke is a trailing spoke, left of the valve stem, coming from the 4th hole from center of the hub flange). As said earlier, there are other ways to lace them that will probably not have any harmful repercussions. Searching around the forum, there is this thread, and I think the method is different ("key" spoke is a leading spoke?) but it sounds like it has proven successful as well.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...+wheelbuilding

My stock Dominator2 rim also has one side pulling spokes going one way and the other going the other way, (it doesn't have disc brakes) just for information.

Last edited by Jener8or; 2017-11-19 at 06:44 PM.
Jener8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-20, 08:33 AM   #19
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I've managed to get 2 parallel discussions going. I' ll try to keep the Schlumpf related questions in the Schlumpf thread.

I got an answer from Roger about the Dominator2 rim:

"The holes are drilled centrally, although if you look carefully you can see they are slightly angled when drilled. This is due to the jig type, not a requirement to build that way. The rims then have eyelets set in them at 90 degrees... so the nipples have a good seating. In my experience there is no different is built one way or the others on these rims - do not worry at all."
Old 2017-11-23, 10:31 AM   #20
Jener8or
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I got an answer from Roger about the Dominator2 rim:

"The holes are drilled centrally, although if you look carefully you can see they are slightly angled when drilled. This is due to the jig type, not a requirement to build that way. The rims then have eyelets set in them at 90 degrees... so the nipples have a good seating. In my experience there is no different is built one way or the others on these rims - do not worry at all."
Awesome! Roger always seems super helpful. If you haven't checked out the video of him building the penny farthing wheel, it's pretty neat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkO4KhG-h0

Quote:
My stock Dominator2 rim also has one side pulling spokes going one way and the other going the other way, (it doesn't have disc brakes) just for information.
Re-reading this, I realize I worded this poorly (pulling/trailing spokes going the "other way" would not be pulling, of course they would be leading/pushing,) but hopefully you got that it was laced different on both sides despite me botching the explanation of it.
Jener8or is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, experience, novice, read, wheelbuilding