Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 640 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-04-08, 01:14 PM   #9676
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Went for a nice relaxing 20-miler round the country roads. Some ridiculously big hills I could barely even walk up, some big downhills I nearly died on, and some roads that looked like they hadn't been tarmac'ed over for 50 years. Great stuff.

This is a sculpture, named Tilted Vase. It's right in the centre of the town of Ramsbottom, and is usually flowing with water (Or, more often than not, soap bubbles and red food colouring ) I was hoping to get a photo of it flooding the square with foam but unfortunately it wasn't even pouring water today!

This is the River Irwell, a part of it I've never seen before. I forget how long this river is

Harcles Hill and Peel Tower (The big tower you can see to the left - no, not the FAR left one, that's a church - the one next to it) in the distance. I'm used to seeing this hill from the opposite side I'm stood on now, which made me feel like I was REALLY far from home!

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-04-08 at 01:15 PM.
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 05:02 AM   #9677
teamUnicycle
one on one wheel

March 15, 2015 Gran Fondo Ephrata

Finally the write-ups for this ride are posted.

short write-up

long write-up

https://youtu.be/pbNlr4QWsbU

Attached Images

teamUnicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 06:51 AM   #9678
prozac
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Went for a nice relaxing 20-miler round the country roads. Some ridiculously big hills I could barely even walk up, some big downhills I nearly died on, and some roads that looked like they hadn't been tarmac'ed over for 50 years. Great stuff.

This is a sculpture, named Tilted Vase. It's right in the centre of the town of Ramsbottom, and is usually flowing with water (Or, more often than not, soap bubbles and red food colouring ) I was hoping to get a photo of it flooding the square with foam but unfortunately it wasn't even pouring water today!
Great photos of the region. Thanks for sharing. Call me immature, but the name of the town made me smirk a little.

Last edited by prozac; 2015-04-09 at 06:52 AM.
prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 09:15 AM   #9679
RobG
Unicyclist

Bold statement from an Australian considering the rumours about sheep in your country....
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 03:09 PM   #9680
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamUnicycle View Post
Finally the write-ups for this ride are posted.
short write-up
long write-up
https://youtu.be/pbNlr4QWsbU
Great write-up of a great effort, congratulations on a fantastic performance!
(I wonder if you could convince Aspen Mike to join you on this event one of these times -- seems right up his alley.)
I like the quote of the day from lead biker: "That guy's one tough son-of-a-bitch..."
That's a great one! Cheers!
Old 2015-04-09, 11:40 PM   #9681
prozac
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Bold statement from an Australian considering the rumours about sheep in your country....
Mate, your mistaken. You are thinking about New Zealand where men are men and sheep are scared.
prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 11:42 PM   #9682
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac View Post
mate, your mistaken. You are thinking about new zealand where men are men and sheep are scared.
roflmao.
Old 2015-04-10, 01:04 AM   #9683
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac View Post
Mate, your mistaken. You are thinking about New Zealand where men are men and sheep are scared.
Weird, round here in the UK, we have this joke about Wales.

NSFW:

A Welsh guy is driving along the motorway, and he spots an eskimo with his head under the bonnet of his car. He pulls over, and asks the eskimo if he needs help. The eskimo gladly accepts, and steps back. The Welshman takes a look, then says, "ahh, looks like you've blown a seal in here!" The eskimo turns around and says, "Yeah, so? You probably buggered a sheep in yours!"
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 03:57 PM   #9684
teamUnicycle
one on one wheel

2015 Beezley Burn

teamUnicycle.com on a KH 24 in the March 28, 2015 Beezley Burn

Short writeup

Long writeup

Enjoy
Attached Images

teamUnicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 06:34 PM   #9685
Cyclone IT
Unicyclist

First ride with the brake.
On easy trails or Tarmac I don't have problems, but on rocky sections I found hard to keep the feet on the pedals. In particular when I brake and drop down rocks the left foot tends to be pushed away. Today this caused two UPDs, first time I fell and my foot got stuck between the spokes, the second one I landed on my left knee (stupidly I wasn't wearing knee/shin guards).
Probably it's just a practice matter.

Old 2015-04-11, 07:15 PM   #9686
unibokk
Unicyclist

When braking, make sure to lean back and pull up on the hand grip as you pull the brake lever. This will help stop you from being thrown forward.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 08:38 PM   #9687
Pagee
"Anyone can ride two wheels"

A wide trail
A rocky way
The Sun shone.
Attached Images

Old 2015-04-11, 08:42 PM   #9688
munimag
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
When braking, make sure to lean back and pull up on the hand grip as you pull the brake lever. This will help stop you from being thrown forward.
Like this.
Attached Images

munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 09:48 PM   #9689
unibokk
Unicyclist

Hello Munimag, you're leaning back quite a bit there. It looks like you're about to dismount. Or maybe the road you're on is steeper than it appears in your photo.

On rough terrain I usually pull up on the hand grip and feather the brake simultaneously with the fingers of my left hand, allowing me to use my right arm for balance.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-11, 10:28 PM   #9690
munimag
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Hello Munimag, you're leaning back quite a bit there. It looks like you're about to dismount. Or maybe the road you're on is steeper than it appears in your photo.
The road is not too steep but this was hard braking from going about 15 mph to a stop.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
сосиска, bright-nights, forest-park, latest, mumpitz, pictures, ride, unicycle