Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-02-28, 09:41 AM   #1
ruari
 

Unknown Oslo unicyclist, UniMyra any ideas?

At work I sit next to a colleague, who also happens to live quite close to me. Earlier today she sent me this text message that read,

“I've just seen a man on a unicycle in our area and it was not you

I asked her where exactly and she says it was around here:

https://goo.gl/maps/yfFtXobshzJ2

She also said he was wearing a red helmet, cycling in the road and would guess that it was a 36” wheel. She is not super confident of that wheel size as she was driving (and in a hurry), so didn't have time to really stare. Though she is familiar with my 36”.

Any ideas who it might be? Or perhaps the unicyclist in question is here and can confirm it was them.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 09:20 AM   #2
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

It could be this guy: https://www.terrengsykkel.no/nyheter...n-med-ett-hjul

Red helmet and 36'er. He lives near Sognsvann and he has a client in Groruddalen which he commutes to on his uni. I've ridden with him several times. He's not very active on social media, but I'll ask him.
Old 2019-03-05, 02:35 PM   #3
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
It could be this guy: https://www.terrengsykkel.no/nyheter...n-med-ett-hjul

Red helmet and 36'er. He lives near Sognsvann and he has a client in Groruddalen which he commutes to on his uni. I've ridden with him several times. He's not very active on social media, but I'll ask him.
No, not him.
Old 2019-03-06, 07:56 AM   #4
ruari
 

Interesting. Oh well, still it's nice that there are more unicyclists in Oslo anyway.
Old 2019-03-07, 12:41 PM   #5
PalmerDen

How unicycle-friendly is Oslo btw?
PalmerDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-08, 11:45 AM   #6
ruari
 

Well I think it depends what you are asking. Do you mean, “Is there a vibrant community of unicyclists?“ or “How is it to cycle around in Oslo?”

For the former, someone like UniMyra would have to answer. I don't really know any other unicyclists here apart from him, who I met once!

For the latter, I guess that depends on the type of unicycling you like to do? For example if you are asking about “street unicycling” or muni, again I would not be the best to ask because I don't really do either.

The main thing I (currently) use my unicycles for is commuting. So I can answer this bit, I suppose. Or at least give my perspective on this bit.

Oslo, is not one of the big cycling cities like say it's Danish counterpart (Copenhagen) but in recent years there has been more emphasis on cycling and so the infrastructure (e.g. dedicated cycle paths) is certainly improving and expanding. Obviously this is being done for bikes but it benefits unicycling commuters like myself. As a comparison (using another city that I am familiar with), London is has also been improving for cyclists in recent years, at a fairly similar pace. I would however say that it is much, much better unicycling in Oslo than London. The cars are less aggressive, there are fewer people and is a lot more space. The built up areas are much smaller. You can cross the whole inner city in no time, even on a unicycle.

The other big advantage is that, unlike in the UK where cycling on footpaths (by which I mean the path at the side of a carriageway) is illegal, in Norway people do this from time to time. It is not illegal, though it is very clear that people walking have the right of way. If you hit a pedestrian it is going to be your fault. You also can't ring a bell or shout at them to get out of your way. They have priority, so if you encounter people walking side by side you either have to cycle slowly behind them and ‘deal with it’ (with no complaints), or you could drop into the road for a bit to over take. You need to be considerate (or should a policeman see you), you would get yourself in trouble. Similarly, if you use a pedestrian crossing as a cyclist you need to dismount to have priority over cars. If you don't you are effectively ‘driving’. Crossing on a bike or unicycle is allowed but you then have no priority over the cars in the road, so it would all be about timing it so that the traffic is clear. It is a fairly sensible system that in my experience isn't overly abused (well… outside of young boys, and the odd over eager middle age man), at least in Norway. I wouldn't claim that this would work everywhere.

Anyway, this system works well for unicycling. You are generally going slower than a bike and with a smaller wheel at least, it is easy to navigate around people safely, unless it is very congested (like at peak times). Thus a whole host of safe paths are opened up for unicycling. I can get from my home (on the outer edge of Olso) to work without ever having to cycle on the road if I pick my route carefully.

In summary, for the type of unicycling I do, in my personal experience, yes in is quite unicycle-friendly.
Old 2019-03-08, 12:00 PM   #7
ruari
 

Here is a fairly reasonable article by NAF (“Norges Automobil-Forbund“, or “The Norwegian Automobile Federation” In English) on some of the legalities of cycling in Norway.

It is in Norwegian but I quickly ran it through Google translate and skimmed it and it comes out surprisingly well. So if you don't speak Norwegian (presumably almost everyone here ), you would still be able to use a translation service to follow it.

https://www.naf.no/tips-og-rad/i-tra...sykle-overalt/
Old 2019-03-09, 09:14 AM   #8
UniMyra

There are very few unicyclists in the Oslo area that I know of. Maybe I could gather a group of 3-5 riders (which has never happened). Ruari pretty much covered unicycling i central Oslo. Oslo is not a big cycling city as Ruari said, but the city council wants it to be, and their totally unrealistic goal is that 25 percent of all travels is done by bicycles by 2025. As a consequence, the city keeps all bicycle paths clear of snow all winter, so unicycling is possible all year around. Unlike Ruari, I never commute by unicycle. I try to ride as much as possible in the woods on fire roads (36'er) or single tracks (26'er). I have such great muni terrain close to home (just outside of Oslo), so I haven't really explored other muni possibilities around Oslo much (but I plan to). Oslo is pretty much surrounded by a forrest, which you can get to by public transportation in 30 minutes.
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #9
ruari
 

I feel like there are more unicyclists out here in Norway, hidden away, doing their own unicycle thing. One of my colleagues said this to me today,

Quote:
Saw someone unicycling along Mossveien/E18 over the weekend, looked like a pretty serious setup

Tags
ideas, oslo, unicyclist, unimyra, unknown