Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-18, 11:10 PM   #46
2pie3
Unicyclist

was able to get my first freemount using this today! very wobbly start, but was able to stabilize after 1 rotation on my first 29"
2pie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 06:36 PM   #47
danlunche
Unicyclist

This is still my principle way of mounting my 24" muni. It's a fun mount.
danlunche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 03:22 PM   #48
Esquip1717
Unicyclist

First successful freemount!!!!

I'm phsyched! Nailed my first successful freemount today using this method. I then proceeded to do it again for 3 out og the next 6 times, including my last run of the session.

My problem with the other type freemount is ending up on top of the unicycle with my pedals in the 6-12 position and not really being able to pedal.

This technique enables one to get the feet on the pedals and the standing up motion generates a degree of the forward momentum needed to begin riding.

It is truly an awesome feeling. The key is to really dive over the unicycle like you are trying to dive into the ground.
Esquip1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 09:40 PM   #49
SimonBarSynister
Unicyclist

Does someome have a method to gradually move from the rollback mount to the static mount, or is this an all or nothing proposition? I can rollback mount pretty consitently, but have problems not putting weight on my rer foot when attempting (and failing) a static mount.

Thanks!!
SimonBarSynister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 12:33 AM   #50
aarons
Eating a sandwich

I think it's all or nothing. You have get the feeling of putting just enough pressure on the back pedal to hold the cranks still. You just have to practice until it clicks.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 11:35 PM   #51
mad
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBarSynister View Post
Does someome have a method to gradually move from the rollback mount to the static mount, or is this an all or nothing proposition? I can rollback mount pretty consitently, but have problems not putting weight on my rer foot when attempting (and failing) a static mount.

Thanks!!
Practicing on a hill or ramp, facing downhill, may help. This makes it harder to roll the wheel back by accident and a little easier to get up and over the wheel. Practice at the bottom of the incline and UPDs off the front will put you on level ground.

This video by MuniAddict shows a good way to practice the motion of static mounting with a couple of cinder blocks.

Martin
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 11:48 PM   #52
jojoxie
Unicyclist

Quote:

Thanks!!
With a static mount it may help to point the toe of your rear foot down before mounting...good luck
Old 2013-01-23, 06:35 AM   #53
krjames
Unicyclist

Quote:

Thanks!!
Wish I could do a roll back mount....

For a static mount I think it is worth thinking about keeping no weight on the pedal at all. I sometimes even lift my foot a tad just as I hop on.

Other than that just practice with a backing block or curb until you get the feel. A lot of the problem for beginners as the fear of doing a face plant over the front. A decent block to stop the rearwards movement eliminates that possibility. Once you have a feel for it then you are away, the facing down a slope works too but is less secure for the beginner. I can still have trouble mounting facing up a gentle slope

Cheers

James
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 12:26 AM   #54
Projectsimpson
still cant freemount

still cant free mount, static mount wheel grab mount or any other mount!

I've been riding about three years now and can't do any kind of mount. I can ride as far as I want with no troubles with the exception of the odd UPD. I can't mount if my life depended on it. Tried the wheel grab and ended up with my fingers jammed between my tire and frame. Curb mounted once. Free mounted once, but I always find myself at the point of no return with both feet on the pedals then it all goes wrong. HELP ME PLEASE! slowest learner EVER! thanx
Projectsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 12:43 AM   #55
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDziHTXuA-w

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-03-16 at 12:46 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 01:11 AM   #56
Cloudz
I fall alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectsimpson View Post
Tried the wheel grab and ended up with my fingers jammed between my tire and frame.
- I use two hands to hold the wheel, not one
- I use gloves and wrist guards to give me the confidence that if I do fall, it won't hurt. It keeps me less cautious.
- Leaning your elbow on your knee keeps you stable when you're standing, but throws you off as soon as you move your other foot onto the pedal. Keep your elbows out.
- I had to tell myself *s.l.o.w.l.y s.i.t u.p*. If I got on and could pedal and I threw myself quickly into a sitting position I would keel over. So I had to remind myself to do it in a super controlled slow manner.
- I also had to tell myself to not ride anywhere one day until I got up.

And for all the muni "you won't want to grab your wheel when it's covered in mud" people... We're just learning to freemount. Why would we be going through mud??? A clothes pin threw me off today
Cloudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 04:17 AM   #57
bnolsen
Unicyclist

thanks for resurrecting this thread. very timely for me. yesterday I finally started hands free curb mounting, getting out of the gutter is a problem still. today I tried a jump mount, got my first shin ding then I found a concrete parking barrier in a handicapped parking spot (appropriate) which helped me practice mounting from level ground without rollback. I'll don the shin guards and take a shot at a grab mount next time. I need more freedom!
bnolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 07:25 PM   #58
Cloudz
I fall alot.

Today while sitting in the grass, after failing to get up 10 times in a row going up a hill, I had a brilliant strategy...

Start in a driveway. All I needed was that few revolutions to get up to speed, but couldn't on the hill. Most of the driveways around me were flat. Start in the driveway, then turn and get going back up the hill!

Today was my first real "freedom" ride where I didn't just go half a block to the local school, I went a km down the road and back.
Cloudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 05:54 PM   #59
Young at heart
Unibiddy

Projectsimpson

I have hit my hand on the frame when I don't grab the wheel far enough forward. Try holding even with the pedal (pedal at 9:00 and 3:00 or so) and keep your off hand forward in front of you too. This works for me. Good luck and keep trying.
Young at heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-06, 07:11 PM   #60
JohnIb
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrain View Post
Tried the hand on wheel mount on my 26". Took me 5 minutes to get it right. A nice easy mount for beginners. I can't do it on my 36" because the touring handles won't let me reach the wheel with my hands.
I have the exact same problem on my new 36'er.
Tried it the 1st day without the handle and the wheel grab mount worked way better than I'd expected.
So i immediatly fitted the handle and now theyre poking me in the chest whenever i try mounting ;(

Last edited by JohnIb; 2015-09-06 at 07:13 PM.
JohnIb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, freemount, lunatic, mount, newbies, works