Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-06-12, 06:21 PM   #16
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
I've seen several different businesses around here w/ the name McDonalds in it.

I'm pretty sure in all cases one or more of the people who started the business had McDonald or McDonalds as their last name.

I thought this allowed them to get around copywrite laws.

I heard of a similar dispute w/ a different business name and the owners defense was it was his last name. I don't remember how it turned out.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2008-06-12 at 06:23 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 12:56 AM   #17
Emile.m

Send a message via MSN to Emile.m
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycledood
Poll*

Why would you want to change your name? Zenith productions right? or is it just Zenith.

Zenith sounds cool
Sorry, typo for the poll

Because there's soo many things called Zenith. Zenith, Team Zenith, Zenith team, zenith pro, zenith pro, zenith productions, zenith pro team, team zenith pro, all the same thing .

-Émile
Emile.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 04:42 AM   #18
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
Is there anything called Mcdonalds besides the resturant?

Sure theres things like the A.M.M.W.A.M.R.P.C.P (Allen "Mcdonalds" Metal Welding Association for the Mentally Retarded or Physically Challenged People)

But are there any companys that are JUST called Mcdonalds? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be aloud.

Thats why when you watch movie spoof they slightly miss spell something, to avoid law suits and copyrights. Well, atleast that was my understanding.

Back on topic, If I were you I would change the name. Given this new infomation.

Editl: Yes I made up the a.m.m.w.a.m.r.p.c.p lol

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-06-13 at 04:43 AM.
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 05:05 AM   #19
boisei
Level 10 Biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohse
i really doubt copyright is going to matter. They arent doing anything commercial.

Its just like how you can use ANY song in your uni videos, if youre not selling it then nobody will come after you for $
I'm no expert on international copyright law, so I won't comment on the overall issue. However, as far as using songs in your videos, there's plenty of artists who have enforced their copyrights on music used in videos. Unigeezer posted about getting a letter to that effect about music in a video of his. Prince has even pulled a video off of youtube featuring a toddler dancing to one of his songs in the background. Come after you for $$? Probably not. But able to use any song in your video? Not exactly either.

About the original post, looks very cool! Can't wait to see the full project!

Last edited by boisei; 2008-06-13 at 05:07 AM.
boisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 08:10 PM   #20
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
That may be a bit different. Although the video may be free (?), Prince is using it to promote himself and encourage people to buy his music.

The same argument could possibly be made for music in uni vids. You aren't making money from them directly, but they could be seen as self and sponsor promotion and therefore making money.

Really though all this is probably nothing to worry about unless you are making a significant amount of money (like enough to pay rent), or the vid go'es mainstream.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 09:44 PM   #21
Emile.m

And what about the blog
Old 2008-06-13, 10:09 PM   #22
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
I don't understand what the purpose of the blog is for.

What professional services does your company offer? (In other words, it has Pro in the name...so I assume you do something as a paid occupation, which is the definition of professional).

Regarding the name, Joe stated it best. There are two Apple's out there. One does music, the other computers. However, it is sometimes hard to tell which one is doing what, and that has caused some suites to fly.

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 10:17 PM   #23
Emile.m

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin
I don't understand what the purpose of the blog is for.

What professional services does your company offer? (In other words, it has Pro in the name...so I assume you do something as a paid occupation, which is the definition of professional).

Regarding the name, Joe stated it best. There are two Apple's out there. One does music, the other computers. However, it is sometimes hard to tell which one is doing what, and that has caused some suites to fly.

corbin
Just to put all the news and the vid on there. Instead of searching around on the forums or all websties.

Any, it's not a compagny. Zenithproductions.blogspot.com was already taken.

Tags
blog, pro, rider, team, zenith