Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-02-26, 05:48 AM   #1
Ducttape
I unicycle for Donuts

Send a message via AIM to Ducttape Send a message via MSN to Ducttape Send a message via Yahoo to Ducttape Send a message via Skype™ to Ducttape
Calling all you "pro" riders Kris, Shaun, Jeff, Ryan ect.

Hey guys I am doing a Project for health class and need to do an interview of someone on my topic (I obviously chose unicycling) and I would like to ask a few questions

1.) What are some of the health benifits of Unicycling, and long term effects?

2.) How long have you been riding, and what got you started?

3.) how much time do you put into practicing each day and what keeps you intersted and wanting to ride?

Thanks for your help you guys,

Ducttape
Ducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 06:41 AM   #2
ichirinsha
Rockin "K"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducttape
Hey guys I am doing a Project for health class and need to do an interview of someone on my topic (I obviously chose unicycling) and I would like to ask a few questions

3.) how much time do you put into practicing each day and what keeps you intersted and wanting to ride?

Ducttape
I am not sure about first question but I can answer other questions.

2) I have been riding for 11 years. I started to ride unicycle because my friend rides unicycle around my house, also some Japanese people experience of ride unicycle in physical education class include me. Probably, unicycle is one of the good exercises for people.

3) When I was in the unicycle team in Japan, I usually practiced 3 or 4 days a week, 3 hours a day.
what keeps me interested and wanting to ride??
Well, I saw other unicyclists rutine in the competiton, then someone create new tricks or new coreography, that's makes me keep riding unicycle.

Hope my comment help your helth project!!
Good luck

-Kaori
ichirinsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 06:51 AM   #3
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Quote:

Ducttape
1) I'm getting better exercise than on a bike as i'm always pedalling. Also better balance and motor co-ordination.

2) 4yrs now and what got me started was the fact that when i was bike riding. I was mostly riding with the front wheel up. Hence the reason why i love unicycling more.

3) 2-4 hours a day if i'm not working. What keeps me going is the fact there's no limit to what you can learn and that there are always to learn. Like right now i'm learning barefoot wheelwalking and stopping with my barefeet . The fact that i learned how to skate mount on a unicycle also surprises me and my friends to this day.

Hoped this also helped you my friend.
Take care from your good buddy
Hazmat

Can't wait till this game is finally released.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 12:14 PM   #4
skianduniaddict
Unicyclist

ur not pro
skianduniaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 12:18 PM   #5
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skianduniaddict
ur not pro
Maybe not now, but someday i will.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.

Last edited by Hazmat; 2007-02-26 at 12:18 PM.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 08:56 PM   #6
thejdw
elcycinu

Why do you need help from people paied to unicycle? Any normal ridder can help you

Edit: not sure all the guys in the title are pro

Last edited by thejdw; 2007-02-26 at 09:03 PM.
thejdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 12:55 AM   #7
Unicaw89
FRAME BREAKER!!!

Lol I think he just needs people that are really into unicycling, if you want to get technical Spencer is pro, Forrest is pro, I could be considered it... What defines a pro rider...Someone once told me it was you had to be sponsored and or been payed to ride...Well Spencer and I are sponsored, got paid to ride at six flags, Forrest is Sponsored, gets paid to do demos at Fairs...So really anyone who has been riding for a couple years or more that is really into the sport can help him out...But one of the best to help ya would be Kris, hes been riding since he was 12 and still one of the top. He could tell ya the most about health benifits...
RenegadeJuggling.com
Unicaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 03:10 AM   #8
Ducttape
I unicycle for Donuts

Send a message via AIM to Ducttape Send a message via MSN to Ducttape Send a message via Yahoo to Ducttape Send a message via Skype™ to Ducttape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicaw89
Lol I think he just needs people that are really into unicycling, if you want to get technical Spencer is pro, Forrest is pro, I could be considered it... What defines a pro rider...Someone once told me it was you had to be sponsored and or been payed to ride...Well Spencer and I are sponsored, got paid to ride at six flags, Forrest is Sponsored, gets paid to do demos at Fairs...So really anyone who has been riding for a couple years or more that is really into the sport can help him out...But one of the best to help ya would be Kris, hes been riding since he was 12 and still one of the top. He could tell ya the most about health benifits...
The reason I put "pro" into quotes was because I am using the term loosley to defone anyone who is a leader in their area of riding or is sponsored/ gets paid to ride places or do demos. so anyone who can answer my questions is welcome to reply.... I put "Calling all you "pro" riders Kris, Shaun, Jeff, Ryan ect." because I am especially looking forward to hearing from them, as they are the ones who most of the outside community knows about.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:30 AM   #9
maestro8
is what it is

1) Being that most of my unicycling is anaerobic (trials and intense DH muni) I don't feel that I get any health benefits from riding. As for long term effects, I find my knees are slowly deteriorating... I think it's time to see a doctor

2) I've been riding for over four years now. I started riding when I discovered that my roomie had been storing a unicycle in our garage... he never rode it much. Curiosity got me on the uni, and the fun kept me riding.

3) Some days I only ride to and from work, a total of about 10 minutes. I try to "session" a few days a week, usually 1-2 hours of riding. There's always a new trick I want to learn, or a new trials line I want to perfect, so there's never an end to my inspiration... although when my interest wanes my fellow riders are always there to get me back in the game.
Old 2007-02-27, 01:25 PM   #10
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro8
1) Being that most of my unicycling is anaerobic (trials and intense DH muni) I don't feel that I get any health benefits from riding. As for long term effects, I find my knees are slowly deteriorating... I think it's time to see a doctor
Even though it may not benefit your cardio systems, it's still an awesome workout for the legs and core muscles, right?

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 10:47 PM   #11
thejdw
elcycinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicaw89
yeah if a friend gives me £1 to prove I can ride, that will make me pro!
Old 2007-02-27, 11:05 PM   #12
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
I know im not a pro rider, or sponsored by any uni company's, but I have been riding for 4 years now, and can answer these questions.

1. Just learning to ride was excericize already. Learning the correct ways to balance and having to make all the tiny adjustments really helped the tiny muscles in my core and I guess you can say it really trained my inner ear.

Getting into trials really helped my endurance and toned my leg muscles. They didn't get any bigger, but they have improved. I used to have troubles doing trials for long periods, my legs would get tired, and I would start to breath rather heavily. Now my legs dont become tired anymore, and my breathing has become more controlled while doing any activity.

I have also gained a better reaction time, not just while unicycling, but for everything I do now.

Now that I ride a coker, I have burned up to 2500-3k calories on some of my ride, so it will keep me thin and get rid of excess body fat. I try to ride at a high cadence for at least 20mins in my ride to workout my heart and to gain better breathing and a lower bpm.

2. Ive been riding for 4 years. I have always wanted to ride, but never was able to get a uni or have a chance to ride one until my friend got his uni. I got my uni shortly after on my birthday.

We learned some freestyle stuff, just the basics. Mainly just used them to ride point a to b. I ended up taking a break because my uni broke, and I had no money to repair it. Finally got it fixed, got into it again, and found about trials, and for the past year, I have really been into unicycling now.

3. My riding is very sporadic until it gets into spring, then I try to do weekly rides that will last about 5 hours.

Other than that, I just ride whenever, sometimes for a few mins, sometimes for a few hours. I just get out there whenever I can.

What keeps me riding is my love for the sport. I dont care if I am doing a 50 mile ride through the country side, a sweaty trials ride, riding with my friends and just goofing off, or just riding to get somewhere faster. As long as I can ride, I am good.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 11:06 PM   #13
Mikeswarbrick
Registeerd User

Quote:
area of riding or is sponsored/ gets paid to ride places
Being sponsored doesn't prove diddily squat.

Mike
Mikeswarbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 11:13 PM   #14
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
Even though it may not benefit your cardio systems, it's still an awesome workout for the legs and core muscles, right?
I'm def. sore after some rides... but I don't feel that it's a "proper" workout. I'm only training the muscles used for unicycling, and even then I'm only training them through the range of motion one experiences while unicycling. It's unicycle-specific training... and specific to the riding that I do.

I feel I get better workouts in the gym, where I work my muscles in a wider range of motion and with better control over the resistances I experience.
Old 2007-02-28, 12:13 AM   #15
Ducttape
I unicycle for Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeswarbrick

Being sponsored doesn't prove diddily squat.

Mike
never said it did, I put that in as something that makes people on the outside world think of "pro", you know hat I mean?

Tags
calling, ect, jeff, kris, pro, riders, ryan, shaun