Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-16, 04:54 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
Heck, I can easily ride 50 miles nonstop and not even be winded except on steep inclines. If it was all that hard I wouldn’t be able to go out this Saturday and come in last in a 32 mile single track mountain biking race. Last Sunday I finished an 80 mile gravel grinder and hardly broke a sweat all day.

Do I need to train for these rides? Apparently not. I didn’t.
I think you've forgotten what it was like to be a normal person. You are fit like a marathoner. Some marathon experts could play starving refugees in movies or plays, but can outrun everybody else all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe
I don’t look like anything special physically. Does only unicycling make any of the rest of you look “Atlas” like?
Not only Road unicycling, or only most types of unicycling. But Trials, Street and similar disciplines use much more of the body's muscles and structures, and get you looking good pretty much all over. If you want to really look fit, get good at Trials and Street riding, and mix in plenty of all the other disciplines to round things out (unicycle-wise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
No elite unicycling is nowhere near as professional or as serious as high participation sports. We don't have enough competition to need to train that hard. Even those who train hard probably don't train "well" in comparison to professional sports.
This is true. I think level of training corresponds with "how hard" it is to win. Unicycling is still a microscopically tiny sport in comparison to (bi-)cycling (we need a better word for that), or nearly any sport you would see in the Olympics or on TV.

But I've been around this sport for a long time now, and watched the required level of fitness increase by leaps and bounds. Today's top riders in disciplines like Cross Country Muni (and most everything else) are so much more fit than they were a few years ago--the level continues to increase as competitions get more intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
So I think for the most part unicyclists do not have a great grasp of techniques or optimal training compared to advanced cyclists. I think most unicyclists internalize their abilities from lots of continuous practice, and can't really explain how or why they can or can't do what they do.
Absolutely. We're still inventing as we go along, and still pretty small. Nobody can make a living training unicyclists (some few exceptions in exceptional situations). There is no market for specialized books on elite unicycle training. Most top riders aren't good at explaining how they do what they do. Great coaches are usually average to very good at their sport, but less often top top competitors. They are people that really had to work at learning the activity, and are better at explaining what it takes to increase ones' skills.

One of our local riders, John Hooten was the consummate coach. He was a rowing coach for many years, and in the 70s worked his way up to coaching the Women's Olympic Rowing team in the first year women rowed (1976 Olympics). Later he did loads of swim coaching, and his swimmers won lots of competition. He was a Boy Scout leader for at least 20 years, and his troop (Troop 121; known at Troopizi at some unicycle conventions) averaged more Eagle scouts than most troops anywhere. Sadly, John passed away last monday, while rowing on our local Lake Natoma, at age 66. His memorial service will be held tomorrow, and will be attended by many unicyclists (and rowers, scouts, community members), including myself, Nathan Hoover, Grace Fleming, Jim Sowers, Scott Bond and (I think) Jess Riegel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite
If millions of dollars in prize money, publicity, and prestige was at stake with lots of people getting into it for competitions then things would change.
They certainly would! And unicycling would be a lot more mainstream, which many would consider a negative. But if this happens, it probably won't be in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBrown View Post
Reaching the minimum of activity - of being active to raise one's heart rate for 30 -40 minutes more than 3 days a week and less than 6 days in varied activities combined with a high fruit, vegetable intake, complex only carbohydrate diet with minimal red meat consumption and moderate to no animal product consumption with a total of moderate total intake seems to correlate world wide with longevity, stronger immune response and slowing down of physical deterioration, in short, moderating the aging process.
That was an amazingly long sentence, and amazingly readable! Can I get fries with that?

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-03-16 at 05:11 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 08:41 AM   #17
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
It would be nice to see some better training methods get researched and published so all enthusiasts, beginner to advanced could benefit, learn faster, and ride better.
Unfortunately research is time consuming and often requires expensive equipment. I have a number of research studies I would like to do on a number of areas of unicycling. One barrier is being allowed to use the equipment to do it, most places that own the equipment don't see unicycling as a real sport so are hesitant to let you use their stuff.

The other barrier is what is the point if everyone ends up shitting all over it because they are stuck in the 1970's golden era of unicycling and believe only raw talent decides who wins an event.

Quote:
So far all I know of is this contraption for beginners: http://justonewheel.com/uni-trainer/
If I had one, I would be much further along in my riding ability.
If you rode incremental amounts per day from 15 min to 45 across a month you would be able to ride for about a km unassisted at the end of that. The tiredness you say that holds you back is from not putting enough weight on your seat, you fix that by practicing.

Regular sessions is the main thing holding you back I believe, not your lack of a uni-trainer.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 09:21 AM   #18
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Does only unicycling make any of the rest of you look “Atlas” like?
I've looked down in the shower and wondered how my legs got substituted by someone else's.

Much stronger abs.

The other part that surprises me is my lower back. All my life until unicycling I had a weak lower back swayed forwards and prone to causing problems. Riding made it straighten out and become indestructible.

However I have had several months without much riding due to a range of reasons and for the first time in years I had some lower back troubles. Although minor they were definitely reminiscent of past problems.
Old 2018-03-16, 10:08 AM   #19
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
If you just take it easy, of course not. Obviously working hard at cycling and spending a lot of time with it would yield better fitness results than taking it easy unicycling. A direct comparison of a daily ride of 10 miles per day, or the same amount of time spent riding, the unicyclist would be much more fit in their whole body. It is much easier to take it easy on a bicycle.
Not necessarily. Sure, the cyclist can take it easier, but they can also work a lot harder than the unicyclist. Working hard at biking (why are people writing "cycling" when that applies to both?) yields better fitness results than working hard at unicycling. So for the same time spent doing either there's a good chance the bike rider would get a better aerobic workout (certainly for road riding) - if I want to get a good workout I'll take my bike out. Of course it comes back to the question of fitness - you also work your core muscles on a unicycle, but if you're just riding around you'll end up with wimpy arm muscles. Personally I do a combination of rock climbing, roller skating and unicycling at the moment for all round fitness you don't get from just riding a uni - though if the aim was to be as fit as possible I'd sub some of the uni riding for bike riding or maybe a bit of running and kayaking as well, which is the combo I used to do.
Old 2018-03-16, 10:41 AM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
but if you're just riding around you'll end up with wimpy arm muscles.
True enough arms are not needed for unicycling. If you want to look like Atlas, you should go to the gym, but if you want to be just a better unicyclist, it is not important how wimpy your arms look. Flailing looks better with wimpy arms than muscled arms. I think for the survival of my uni's it might be better that I weigh less and not more, whether on fat or muscles. I don't care to look like a Stallone, but for me endurance on unicycle is most important. So aside from uni-ing I give my legs some extra training at the fitness centre to give it some more muscle when riding off-road or do climbs or catching myself in a UPD.
As for the wimpy arms, bicyclists would have the same problem. Cycling is a leg-sport. Bicyclists just need to make more kilometres to get the same intense workout as a municyclist.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 11:22 AM   #21
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
As for the wimpy arms, bicyclists would have the same problem. Cycling is a leg-sport. Bicyclists just need to make more kilometres to get the same intense workout as a municyclist.
Sure - but if it's a question of what the benefit of unicycling is over bike riding, then it's still not giving you a full body workout, whilst not providing the same aerobic benefits as going for a hard bike ride. Bike riders cover more km in the same time - and you can get just as intense a workout on a bike as the peak intensity when doing muni, whilst being able to sustain higher average intensity (try riding a time trial on a bike and then suggesting you can get a workout like that on a uni).
Old 2018-03-16, 03:35 PM   #22
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Sure - but if it's a question of what the benefit of unicycling is over bike riding, then it's still not giving you a full body workout, whilst not providing the same aerobic benefits as going for a hard bike ride. Bike riders cover more km in the same time - and you can get just as intense a workout on a bike as the peak intensity when doing muni, whilst being able to sustain higher average intensity (try riding a time trial on a bike and then suggesting you can get a workout like that on a uni).
This is only partly true. A bike is clearly a much better aerobic workout because you get get your heart rate to a certain point and leave it there indefinitely. But MUni on hills can be a better anaerobic workout; pushing up a technical uphill is harder than anything I do on a road bike, though not as sustained.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 06:03 PM   #23
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I'm only a hill climber. My doctor freaked out at my resting heart rate and thought I needed a pace maker because a fifty-something year old office worker shouldn't have "the heart rate of an elite athlete" from doing three to four hours of exercise a week.
I am an awful muni climber, I occasionally ride (once or twice a week but not very long rides), I love good food (I am french ), I was born in 1948 ...but when my MD saw my heart rate (45) and blood pressure she just told me she would like to have more of that amongst the "young" people.
So yes unicycling may be a fountain of youth
I will ask one of my grandsons who is practising 100m dash to train me for the same distance and I will see if any comparison with other "athletes" of my age could tell something (was never fond of long distance running: it's boring)
Old 2018-03-16, 06:56 PM   #24
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
After one actually learns to ride unicycles, if they continue to progress, they start learning how to be effective and efficient while riding. So after the initial learning phase, when your adrenaline rushes have faded, soon many/most of us unicyclist become WIMPS unless we do something out of the ordinary or do other things for fitness and/or strength.

**SNIP**

I’d classify myself in the wimpy category! I don’t look like anything special physically. Does only unicycling make any of the rest of you look “Atlas” like?

JM
You know Joe, your 'against the grain' voice of reason has stricken again, and again I find myself agreeing with you to an extent, I think...

You're obviously a lot fitter than most unicyclists, because most of us would literally keel over and die if we tried to ride 200 miles in a day. But that's because aside from a select few who the rest of us put on a pedestal, we are for the most part a very casual sport. The vast majority of us on this board aren't doing 200 mile epics and 80-mile gravel grinder events, we're trundling along canal towpaths and maybe joining in a few 50-60 mile sportives in our local city for some charity. Most of us see a Schlumpf as a ridiculously expensive toy that we'd love to try but in reality would never really get our money's worth out of it. So yeah, most of us are 'wimps' and are probably about as fit as anyone else who cycles casually.

If we imagine this in terms of 2-wheelers, there are millions of people who get out their crusty old hybrid on the weekend and go ride down the rail trails and canal towpaths at a nice steady pace. And then there are the spandex-clad road warriors who think nothing of a 100-miler of a weekend, and have a bike worth more than their car. Most of the road warriors do look fitter than your average bloke, but they certainly don't have the body of an elite professional athlete.

The problem is, cycling also has pro-level racing, where we get blokes like Froome who can average 25mph over 200 miles uphill, or Forstemann who can sprint so hard he can literally power a toaster and who's legs became a meme. I doubt even the fastest road riders in unicycling could even get close to either of these guy's level of fitness, but they also don't train 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, with their entire life revolving around perfecting their cycling form and performance, with an entire team of coaches, data analysts and dieticians monitoring every peanut they swallow. The pro cyclists also don't just ride bikes all day, most of them will train in the gym (especially sprinters, who need to build muscle). Our 'training regime' is just 'ride more', which can only get you so far. It'll get you far enough to win races and do century rides, but it wouldn't get you far enough to start considering yourself as fit as an elite athlete, I don't think!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 07:10 PM   #25
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
The problem is, cycling also has pro-level racing, where we get blokes like Froome who can average 25mph over 200 miles uphill, or Forstemann who can sprint so hard he can literally power a toaster and who's legs became a meme. I doubt even the fastest road riders in unicycling could even get close to either of these guy's level of fitness, but they also don't train 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, with their entire life revolving around perfecting their cycling form and performance, with an entire team of coaches, data analysts and dieticians monitoring every peanut they swallow. The pro cyclists also don't just ride bikes all day, most of them will train in the gym (especially sprinters, who need to build muscle). Our 'training regime' is just 'ride more', which can only get you so far. It'll get you far enough to win races and do century rides, but it wouldn't get you far enough to start considering yourself as fit as an elite athlete, I don't think!
To take a couple of specific examples, Chuck Edwall was for a time the fastest unicyclist in the world by far. He won the 23km time trial at Ride the Lobster by about a minute. He then got into road biking, and won a bunch of Cat-5 and Cat-4 races, but I don't think he ever progressed beyond Cat-3.

Ryan Atkins was the unicycle high jump and trials champion, competing with Kris Holm for the best trials rider in the world at the time. Now he's doing high-level obstacle course racing. He didn't look like this when he was unicycling. His training regimen is insane.

tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 01:36 AM   #26
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure where you're getting "significantly" from that article, and as always it all depends exactly how you define "fitness". Clearly the swimmers are much fitter for swimming than the dancers - and I suspect also fitter under the measure by which you're trying to define fitness here.

As for unicyclists vs bike riders, the only data point I have to work with is me, and I'm way less fit now than when I was a bike rider, but then I do a lot less training now than I did. I tend to agree with others that "average" is a difficult measure to use - if you're including everybody who rides a bike then are you including everybody who is able to ride a unicycle? If you look just at those competing, then the level of fitness required to compete even at the lowest level in bike racing is way above the level of speed/strength and endurance of typical uni riders, even those who do take part in competitions.
Exactly, it depends what you measure in terms of 'fitness'. Is is strength? Aerobic capacity? Endurance? Or some combination? Fitness in one sport doesn't translate easily to one with a different mechanism of movement.

On the other hand, I admit it is interesting to compare the abilities of athletes in different sports. I did XC mountainbiking/running/orienteering at a national level in my teens/early 20s, which set me up well to race unicycles.

I have the following observations, based on my n=1 experience:

- unicyclists tend to ride with lower resistance (fewer gears, higher cadence) than bicyclists. I generally feel I've had a harder workout after riding my bike- there is a greater endorphin high for the same amount of time riding.
- being fit on my bike makes me rubbish on my unicycle- I can't spin as fast! The muscles feel sluggish.
- running helps unicycling a lot, both in terms of spinning ability and aerobic fitness.
- Having fitness in one sport doesn't mean you'll do well in another. I have a friend who would easily beat me running (marathon PB 30min faster than mine); but despite unicycling more than I do, it's the other way around on one wheel.
- just like bicycling, there are situational specific fitness requirements. A top climber isn't necessarily good at riding a time trial on the flat.

I would be interested to see the V02 max of top unicyclists in different disciplines.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 11:14 AM   #27
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

It's an impossible comparison to make, but to get to the (probably) intended point of this discussion:

No, unicycling doesn't require anything special in terms of fitness.
Old 2018-03-17, 02:11 PM   #28
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
No, unicycling doesn't require anything special in terms of fitness.
Agreed! It's not about being fit, it's about perseverance!

pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 02:32 PM   #29
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Unfortunately research is time consuming and often requires expensive equipment. I have a number of research studies I would like to do on a number of areas of unicycling. One barrier is being allowed to use the equipment to do it, most places that own the equipment don't see unicycling as a real sport so are hesitant to let you use their stuff.

The other barrier is what is the point if everyone ends up shitting all over it because they are stuck in the 1970's golden era of unicycling and believe only raw talent decides who wins an event.

If you rode incremental amounts per day from 15 min to 45 across a month you would be able to ride for about a km unassisted at the end of that. The tiredness you say that holds you back is from not putting enough weight on your seat, you fix that by practicing.

Regular sessions is the main thing holding you back I believe, not your lack of a uni-trainer.
Thanks, but I know all about keeping my weight on the seat. It is not just my legs, I feel my whole body sore all over afterwards, including my neck, sides, core, shoulders. My body tenses up all over as my nervous system struggles firing muscles I don't usually use to help me keep my balance. This is one reason that I wanted to figure out if there was a way to make the unicycle respond slower, ie train in water, or get a unicycle with the widest oversized fat tire I could find.

When I asked about that, as you say, people shot it down, with 1970's that is the way it was always done thinking, instead of forward thinking.

When I started unicycling, first I had to get the hardware and tire sorted out to something strong enough to hold my weight. Then I went out enthusiastically and gave it all I had. Then I was sore as hell for a week. I could not do my regular exercises, ate everything in sight, and after that week I was down 5 lb.

Before I went with unicycling, I was regularly weight training, doing long hikes, calisthenics and bodyweight exercises, training with war clubs, kettlebells, stretches, balance boards, punching and kicking heavy bag, very high reps with light dumbbells, and resistance bands. I also trained my grip directly. I would be doing 2 - 3 of these groups of exercises every day rotating them on different days.

On top of that, I started every morning with the Tibetan 5 rites, Chinese staff exercises, and the Charles Atlas dynamic tension routine.

When I tried to train with unicycling daily all of the rest of the above ground to a halt. I also found that going at it daily, I seemed to get worse instead of better. All information I was given from all sources told me to go out and just practice more.

Then one person told me that they could not train daily, and just went at it with a once per week lesson, and then suddenly like a switch, they could do it after 6 months. Then it was far less exhausting and increased practice to several times per week.

Sometimes life and other things get in the way, like winter and heavy rain. I am still looking for a place to practice for when the weather sucks.

So, now my unicycle practice sessions have increased from once per week to at least 2 or more times per week. I alternate with a whole body weight training routine, recover enough, then go out and practice unicycling. The only other thing I do is stretching and occaisionally hike. The time spent training has increased to around an hour on a good day. I am more stable now, and on a good day get up to 3 rotations without touching a wall or rail. Before May I should be up to 3 or more practice sessions per week, as long as nothing gets in the way of it.

I miss a lot of the other training I used to do. If I am going to unicycle, at this point I have to temporarily sacrifice those activities to be able to put in the practice to learn it. I found that when I just did straight unicycling, I lost flexibility and strength and agility as I could not do my other exercises. There is no way I will practice unicycling daily until my body is used to it, by then I should have the balance to ride around without needing a wall at all, and be a lot leaner.

I do not agree that daily practice is necessarily the best for everyone. When I used to bodybuild, before I got into heavy weightlifting, I experimented with a lot of routines and theories. At one point I was training daily with a long split routine. I was constantly sore and it took up all my time. In Olympic lifting I was doing heavy squats almost constantly for hours almost daily. That took a lot to get used to, but you sure could jump high after that. Before that, I also built up to a one hour horse stance I did daily.

On the other end of the training spectrum, when I was out at a work camp in the boonies, there was a weight bench and barbell set. We all had a bench press contest once per week with it, and no other weight training. By the end of that summer, many that could only bench press less that 150 were close to 250. Some of them were doing whole body routines in gyms 3x per week for months before with only small gains to show for it.

I took note of this later when I became too busy with things to put in a long daily weight training session. So, I just did a lower body workout usually on Monday, and an upper body workout usually on Thursday. I found that I was making better gains than my big long routine. This left me lots of time for cardio and other activities.

When I train for pure strength, powerlifting, not bodybuilding for mass, I usually only do 2 exercises, but work them into the ground with mutliple sets of very heavy low reps. I will go every day to hit everything 2x per week. Takes less than 2 hours on the longest workout, every day to do this and yields spectacular results. Olympic lifting is a much longer workout by comparison.

Doing certain things daily does not necessarily yield the best, or even good results. It depends on many factors. Sometimes going at it more than once every day is best. Over doing something and it starts to work against you. Under doing it, and you get sub par results. In the case of physical activity, it could injure you. You have to figure out when to push harder, when to back off, what adjustments to make in order to get the maximum effectiveness from our efforts in everything we do.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 02:37 PM   #30
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Agreed! It's not about being fit, it's about perseverance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHzSuXWbIc
Right on!

What tire is he using, at what PSI?

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
athletes, cyclists, fitness, strength, unicyclist